Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Thoughts for teen injured in Vette

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:09 PM
brandtdavis
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thoughts for teen injured in Vette

I don't know this kid but I figure some thoughts should go out to him and family.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/pal...,4754270.story
Old 01-19-2010, 07:53 AM
als2052
Burning Brakes

Wish him a speedy recovery but I have one question...What is an 18 year old doing drag racing in a Corvette at a speedwyay...What was his parents thinking?
Old 01-19-2010, 11:10 AM
mongooseC6
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by als2052
Wish him a speedy recovery but I have one question...What is an 18 year old doing drag racing in a Corvette at a speedwyay...What was his parents thinking?
It seems he was not wearing a helmet. Otherwise, an organized drag race is usually pretty safe - at least it is off the street. Godspeed and I hope he has a full recovery.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:19 AM
BubbaDuss
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mongooseC6
It seems he was not wearing a helmet. Otherwise, an organized drag race is usually pretty safe - at least it is off the street. Godspeed and I hope he has a full recovery.
From what I have gathered through my PD contacts, his parents were in the stands watching. No information whether or not a helmet was present. But PBIR has a really long run off, plenty of time to stop before the gravel trap. The sun sentinel article really doesn't say much except that he never hit the brakes.

I wish the kid a quick recovery.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:30 PM
vic8709
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by als2052
My first time racing was at 18 yrs old in my 2001 supercharged mustang.. It was also at PBIR, although at the time it was called Moroso.. From what I read the kid didn't slow down after his 1/4 mile run.. I hope he recovers, but i wonder why he didn't slow down. You have more then enough time to slow down..
Old 01-28-2010, 09:30 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 303 Likes on 137 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I raced at this track last fall..I watched cars doing 150 mph slow down and turn of without even pulling the chutes...no problem...something is awry with him not hitting the brakes...the helmet part is a little fishy as well...PBIR has one of the strictest techs in Florida...I cannot believe they let him run without a helmet...

BTW, he turned for the worse the other day and still in a coma...not good...
Old 02-07-2010, 12:48 PM
racwld1
Intermediate

i raced a 66 427 corvette at a lot of dragstrips including the u.s. nationals at 16 years old, it has nothing to do with how responsible the parents were. i feel sorry for the kid he certianly doesn't need ridicule at this point. drag racing is much safer than autocross any day. accidents just happen.

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts for teen injured in Vette

Quick Reply: Thoughts for teen injured in Vette