Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Moving family to Raleigh area ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 02:16 PM
mutau95
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moving family to Raleigh area ???

Moving to the Raleigh area and wanted to get some feedback on where to buy in the area. I am looking for something in a family oriented neighborhood/community with .4 acre or more of land and preferrably a newer home community.

What areas has the best schools in Wake county and what are the areas to stay away from due to crime, poor schools, and property values? Since I know nothing about the area I figured I would ask some locals. However I have read good things about Fuquay Varina, Cary and Holly Springs areas.

Thanks for the input.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:19 AM
1truL48
Smokin' BBQ Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
NC Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

What part of the city is your employment? Those communities are great choices but I wouldn't want to spend my morning & afternoon in commute mode getting to and from work if I could help it.

If you're retired, I would choose to live outside the city, in fact outside Wake County. Just my $0.02. I'm sure you'll get other inputs here.

Good luck on the move and hope to meet you one day.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:01 AM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

Cary is the hot spot around Raleigh, it's the big area where there's plenty of shopping, entertainment and residential areas. Most of Cary is already developed, but there are some areas with a good bit of new development going on. Schools in Cary are pretty good, some better than others. Cary is basically the mid-upper class area about 15 minutes or so outside the city of Raleigh.

Holly Springs is where I live. It's just past outside Cary and Apex. Holly Springs is one of the fastest growing areas around here. The next town out is Fuquay, but I don't know that I'd go out that way. Nothing against it, but it's not where the sprawl has reached yet, so a lot of stuff out that way is still a bit more rural and you'll end up driving into Cary most of the time to do stuff.

I like that Holly Springs is still developing and growing, so you find good homes with more land than you'll get in Cary. However it's still a lot smaller than Cary and has more of a hometown feel to it than Cary, which is busier and more dense. 10 years ago Holly Springs was probably nothing more than some farmland, and today it's growing fast.

But we'd need to know more about what area you'll be working/commuting to to give you a better idea of which area might be ideal.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:56 AM
MOOELLA
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

PM sent with some information!
Old 06-19-2009, 01:00 AM
mutau95
Pro

PM replied to.....Thanks

I'm not retired but will be working near WakeMed on New Bern Ave which is east Raleigh and occassion I will be near RTP for meetings. Driving 25 mins to work is not a problem if I can find the best schools for my grade school children. I like the newer home communities I have seen there that have several custom builders where each house is different and have character. I am totally opposed to the spec home communities where the houses are all siding and crammed on 2 blades of grass.

We did look at houses in Knightdale and Wake Forest which were nice but we didn't see the ammenities there that we saw in West and SW Raleigh. Is there an area that should be avoided due to crime and such?

When I bought in Columbia several years ago we bought in the up and coming area of NE Columbia which worked out great for resale. So sounds like the Cary, Apex, Holly Spring and Fuquay are the up and coming areas in the triangle for young families with small children.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:02 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Fuquay and Holly Springs are quickly growing and generally fed by smaller roads thus traffic is sometimes bad. In general traffic is moderate all over but in certain areas it is tough.

Construction is catching up quick but nonetheless those newer areas are still growing an dthus things are behind

I absolultely love my location

I am very close to the intersection of Tryon Rd and Kildaire Farm Road - look it up

I have a 25 year old house - but it's on a large wooded lot that is pretty quiet and I can do as I please. No 'neighborhood ninnies' like in the newer places where you can only do what they say you can do.

I am something like 2 minutes from pretty much any service i need - banks/grocery store/barber etc - 3 plaza's are within a mile.

Look at Summerwinds Drive for example

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...8&z=16&iwloc=A

I am close to everything really.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:14 PM
mutau95
Pro

The Summerwinds area looks nice. I will do a seach and see if anything comes up for sale within the size specs I need.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:46 PM
SharkbyteLT4
Le Mans Master

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

If i was you, i would live in Johnston County which from where I live is like only a 20 minute ride to WakeMed. You get more bang for your buck, way lower property taxes, and the schools are pretty damn good. I don't know about the other towns in Wake county, but you got to pay some nice city taxes if you live in Cary..
Old 06-19-2009, 10:38 PM
PinkVetteLady
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NC_EB_Z06
If i was you, i would live in Johnston County which from where I live is like only a 20 minute ride to WakeMed. You get more bang for your buck, way lower property taxes, and the schools are pretty damn good. I don't know about the other towns in Wake county, but you got to pay some nice city taxes if you live in Cary..
Come on to the COC... I live right around the corner from Shannon and like it out here in Johnston County. Broadmoor West is the name of the subdivision.. Awesome deals to be had right now...
Old 06-19-2009, 10:40 PM
PinkVetteLady
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mutau95
So sounds like the Cary, Apex, Holly Spring and Fuquay are the up and coming areas in the triangle for young families with small children.
All of those places you have listed are not up and coming but already overcrowded... Clayton area is the up and coming area..
Old 06-21-2009, 02:02 PM
SharkbyteLT4
Le Mans Master

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by PinkVetteLady
Come on to the COC... I live right around the corner from Shannon and like it out here in Johnston County. Broadmoor West is the name of the subdivision.. Awesome deals to be had right now...

Yea, his neighborhood is nice. Every house out there is brick with vinyl siding for the most part. Some great deals to be had I imagine out there if you looking in the 350k+ pricerange

Get notified of new replies

To Moving family to Raleigh area ???

Quick Reply: Moving family to Raleigh area ???