Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Super Vette Saturday Aug 2, 2008

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 12:19 AM
Kudzu
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'08-'09

Default Super Vette Saturday Aug 2, 2008

Classic Glass Corvette Club of Marietta, GA is having their annual Super Vette Saturday all Corvette Show.
Hope to see many of the SE CF members.

Saturday August 2, 2008
Rain or Shine!

Registration from 9 A.M. to Noon
Show hours from 10 A.M. to 3 P.M.

Day’s Chevrolet – Acworth, GA
3693 N. Cobb Pkwy (Hwy 41 just south of Hwy 92)

People’s Choice Trophies for top 3 in each Class
Free T-Shirt and Dash Plaque for each car registered.
(While supplies last)

Door Prizes – Silent Auction
50/50 Drawing
Exhaust Sound-off Contest
Food – Soft Drinks & More Available on site

Our Fifth Year!
Friday Night “Sock-Hop” Aug 1st @ 7:00 P.M. until 11:00 P.M.
“Sock-Hop” to be held at the Hilton Garden Inn off of Barrett Parkway
Host Hotel - Hilton Garden Inn 678-322-1140
Hotel and Party Room are located together
Mention Classic Glass Corvette Club for a special room rate!
Appetizers!!

Registration Fee $35.00 per car
(Free Friday night Sock Hop for those who register by 7/25/08.
Proceeds benefit several local charities

for more information, and directions:
www.cgcorvetteclub.com
A registration form is at http://www.cgcorvetteclub.com/2008_Events/aug2.pdf

and yes it will be hot but we do have a limited number of covered spaces on a FCFS basis.
I will monitor this thread if anyone has any questions.

Last edited by Kudzu; 07-01-2008 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:29 AM
yamahajo
Race Director

Cruise-In 9-10-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10,-'13
I believe in the Beer Fairy

This is a terrific show - I look forward to attending again this year! Thanks for posting it up Kudzu!
Old 07-02-2008, 12:14 PM
BlueDream
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A few of us from down in south Georgia were talking about this show at our meeting last week. We may have to make a trip up there (from Valdosta) for this show.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Kudzu
Drifting

Originally Posted by BlueDream
A few of us from down in south Georgia were talking about this show at our meeting last week. We may have to make a trip up there (from Valdosta) for this show.
That would be great. Be sure to come up for the Fri nite sock hop if you can.
Any questions just let me know.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Blueheeler
Racer

Well i am from south MS and thinking about coming up. I need the get away. what more can u tell me about this show and where it is and places to stay. That would be reasonable price wise and close to the show. Anything you can tell me would be great.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:40 PM
WickedQuik
Drifting

Is it going to be almost 100 flipping degrees again this year like it was last year? LOL. First show I attended last year after moving to GA from KY and it was nice. Now if you just add a "DUNK TANK" or "SLIN N SLIDE" if its HOTHOT HOT..that would be nice. Will try and make it again this year.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Kudzu
Drifting

Originally Posted by WickedQuik
Now if you just add a "DUNK TANK" or "SLIN N SLIDE" if its HOTHOT HOT..that would be nice. Will try and make it again this year.
Now that is a great idea. Not so sure how the slip n slide would work on concrete....
I do have some people in mind I would like to get a shot at in a dunk tank...
Yea, it is usually pretty warm but that is the nature of the beast in Atlanta in August. Changing the date is discussed almost every year but nothing happening so far.
Hope to see you there again. Be sure to check out the Fri nite sock hop. That is a good time for sure.

Last edited by Kudzu; 07-09-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Kudzu
Drifting

Originally Posted by Blueheeler
Well i am from south MS and thinking about coming up. I need the get away. what more can u tell me about this show and where it is and places to stay. That would be reasonable price wise and close to the show. Anything you can tell me would be great.
Sorry for taking a day or so to answer. I have been out of town.
Classic Glass has been putting this show on for 25 years. We typically have around a hundred or more cars from all generations. Classic Glass members cars are not judged in the main show people's choice judging.
We have several local charities we support with funds raised at the show, including Calvary Children's Home and the Foster Care Support Foundation.
The sound-off contest is always a lot of fun.You can probably guess how that goes.
The show host hotel is the Hilton Garden Inn off of Barrett Parkway
phone-678-322-1140. Ask for the CGCC discount. There are several other national chain hotels in the immediate area. The hotel is several miles from the show but is in the middle of everything. There are other hotels/motels on N. Cobb Parkway closer to the show. I can get that info for you I think if you want me to.
We have a sock-hop on Fri night for all the show goers at the Hilton. Dancing the night away is a good way to meet and make new friends. The annual hula-hoop contest is always a hoot.
The show is at Day's Chevrolet,3693 N. Cobb Pkwy, Acworth GA. Their phone is 770-974-4242. Ask for Jennifer Still. She is a club member and salesperson extraordinair there.
MTI Racing is a co-sponsor and will have a display of their cars at the show. One of Reese's cars recently won the Pinks All Out drag race TV show. I expect it to be there.
I missed last night's club meeting where all the final details were discussed but I do know in the past we have had a number of good vendors.
This is getting a little long winded and disjointed. PM or email me with any more questions. You can also check the link to a show flyer and registration form in the SE Events Calendar.
Hope you will make the trip. We will do everything we can to make it fun and worthwhile.

Last edited by Kudzu; 07-09-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:37 PM
WickedQuik
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kudzu
Now that is a great idea. Not so sure how the slip n slide would work on concrete....
I do have some people in mind I would like to get a shot at in a dunk tank...
Here are a few comments I posted earlier in the year from experience last year. Take them for what they are...my comments and suggestions.

I will say it was a nice show, very well run, but like a few others here stated from the quality of cars and seeing who won awards, it seemed to me that the nicer cars were omitted, and probably the same folks winning over and over for the wrong reasons. Grant it, the judging was participant judging, and when a club brings a bunch of cars it makes it hard to beat their club, when they have so many votes and can stack the deck against other cars. This is not a CG's fault, but I try and avoid shows where the cars that should do well don't.

A few observations from attending this show last August. When I got there to enter I asked the lady at the registration desk "What do you consider modified" and she said "Anything that is more then 3 modifications puts you in the modified category" So I asked again "What is considered a modification? Aftermarket chrome, ground effects, hood, wheels, engine, exhaust, etc...anything from simple to complex in my mind consitutes a modifications otherwise you are STOCK."

She was clueless and I entered modified and found out that others with similar modifications (things done the same as my car) had entered the stock class, which really made no sense. My point, set the rules, know the rules and abide by the rules. To my knowledge there was no verification of those entered as STOCK vs. MODIFIED, so enter whatever category you want it makes no difference.

That being said I dont go to shows and pay $20 to enter and worry about getting the $10 trophy but it is nice to fairly rewarded for your work and effort. I get more satisfaction from talking to others and getting compliments on the work that has been done and so forth. If this sounds like a "rant" its not as I have a garage full of $10 car show trophies for my efforts and they are all collecting dust.

I agreed with the way that CG kept their club cars out of the overall judging and had a "show within a show" for their club cars alone. BUT, they should have done all the general public show awards first, instead of their club awards first as they did. Seems they placed more emphasis on their club awards then they did the paying general public, which was who the show was for unless I am mistaken. Our club in Indianapolis which had 150+ members ran similar shows and we did the club awards last, after everyone else was awarded their trophies and after some of them had left. Just seems like the right thing to do, but just my .02 cents.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:11 AM
Kudzu
Drifting

WickedQuik, thanks for the comments. I will certainly pass them on to the right people. I think we can solve the modified thing fairly simply. Part of that is simple communication of those rules.

As far as CGCC doing their awards first, I can guarantee there is no intention of slighting the other winners in the least. This is the first time this has been brought up and we do solicit opinions like yours.
We certainly value the participation of all who show.

What cars that should do well and don't, I would submit, is a personal observation and opinion on one show if I read your post correctly. And I do respect that, but I have seen very little of block club voting over the years. I think that unless you give all entrants a list of judging criteria before hand, like NCRS Top Flight judging, then people's likes and dislikes will show through. I certainly have not agreed with every winner every year.

Let me say these are my opinions and mine alone. I don't speak officially for the club but am trying to get the word out.

Again, thanks for the comments. I hope you will join us again this year.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:10 AM
WickedQuik
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kudzu
WickedQuik, thanks for the comments. I will certainly pass them on to the right people. I think we can solve the modified thing fairly simply. Part of that is simple communication of those rules.

As far as CGCC doing their awards first, I can guarantee there is no intention of slighting the other winners in the least. This is the first time this has been brought up and we do solicit opinions like yours.
We certainly value the participation of all who show.

What cars that should do well and don't, I would submit, is a personal observation and opinion on one show if I read your post correctly. And I do respect that, but I have seen very little of block club voting over the years. I think that unless you give all entrants a list of judging criteria before hand, like NCRS Top Flight judging, then people's likes and dislikes will show through. I certainly have not agreed with every winner every year.

Let me say these are my opinions and mine alone. I don't speak officially for the club but am trying to get the word out.

Again, thanks for the comments. I hope you will join us again this year.

Kudzo,

Your welcome and again from a judging perspective it is all in what each participant looks for. From my perspective when you go to a show and most of your award winners completely stock car, they all look alike, so what sets them apart and makes them a winner. IMO cleanliness and appearance. When one starts to modify, alter, deviate from stock, things become more complicated --- but the choices become fewer as not as many go down that road. Just a little clarity and consistency as to what is considered stock and what constitutes modified is critical. Once that is established, then make sure folks are entered where they should be. Again IMO ---- if its stock ---it came from the factory the way it is entered in the show. If not, then it is modified --- regardless of whether one has only tinted the windows or put in a huge motor and set it up for racing.

See you there and I will be looking for that dunk tank.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:45 PM
Blueheeler
Racer

Dunk Tank Dunk Tank i'll get in it NO PROBLEM!!!!! I'll make that drive just for it!!!
Old 07-10-2008, 02:22 PM
69mako
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Always a super, fantastic show put on by one of the best Corvette clubs in the world
Old 07-15-2008, 11:38 PM
Blueheeler
Racer

Dunk Tank Dunk Tank......
could be fun..... guess i'll just have to make the drive..........question...what's the sock hop like? I've never been to one...
can we go in our socks? Food Provided? I know it's a dance..do remember that much from high school but didn't go...Drinks? Alcohol?

Last edited by Blueheeler; 07-15-2008 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:06 AM
Kudzu
Drifting

Sock Hop is a chance to get together in a very social setting and have sone fun dancing the night away. I am not sure if we will have live music or a dj this year. Drinks are a cash bar and food is usually heavy finger food. Shoes are allowed...
Hope to see you there.
cc

Dunk tank is still up in the air. The powers that be are aware. That's about all I can do.

Originally Posted by Blueheeler
Dunk Tank Dunk Tank......
could be fun..... guess i'll just have to make the drive..........question...what's the sock hop like? I've never been to one...
can we go in our socks? Food Provided? I know it's a dance..do remember that much from high school but didn't go...Drinks? Alcohol?
Old 07-16-2008, 12:19 AM
Blueheeler
Racer

I'll be as fast as my can get me there!! Look forward to it
Old 07-21-2008, 10:21 PM
65nassau
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

We'll be there representing the C2 generation ....in case any one forgets what a REAL Corvette looks like

Best memory of this show is three VERY cute ladies a couple of years ago... (in some sort of tight yellow shirts) collecting money for the 50 / 50 raffle.

Oh, hold me down and get my wallet.............

Get notified of new replies

To Super Vette Saturday Aug 2, 2008

Old 07-22-2008, 12:06 AM
Kudzu
Drifting

Originally Posted by 65nassau
Best memory of this show is three VERY cute ladies a couple of years ago... (in some sort of tight yellow shirts) collecting money for the 50 / 50 raffle.
Oh, hold me down and get my wallet.............
I am sending out an SOS to find those ladies right now.
I have been trying to get girls in bikinis to do the 50/50 selling but I can't seem to get that past the board. j/k
Bring your car and your wallet.Both are more than welcome
Old 07-22-2008, 07:21 AM
candacedianne
Burning Brakes

I think a few from our group may be going!
Old 07-22-2008, 09:18 AM
Kudzu
Drifting

Originally Posted by candacedianne
I think a few from our group may be going!
GREAT! See ya there.

Quick Reply: Super Vette Saturday Aug 2, 2008