Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

It finally dawned on me why VA requires two tags!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 12:08 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,106 Likes on 1,078 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleDigitsVic
I don't know why I responded to this thread. I must be stupid and don't know what I'm talking about. I believe the thread was Why does Va. require 2 license plates. Stolen plates or using 2 different plates has nothing to do with it. Go talk to your favorite Trooper. Your right!!!
Too much bad info on this thread. Start with yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RIF... Geezzzzz.....

The original poster, *could* have a reason to run a tag from one vehicle on the other, if it was a "repair" facility, but I am sure it is not. At any rate, there is a loophole which I cited. That should be enough, but you, the expert in RADAR claim some scientific reason for two tags, nice...

Perfect example of why the internet forums is not where I teach my kids to search for legal advice. The LIS website, which has the VA Code stored, is a good place to begin. You might find it helpful for future discussions about things

Originally Posted by ZZ4Vetteguy
With that being said I graciously bow out of any more discussion on this subject and just agree that we are going to disgree on it.

Fair enough. But it would have been just as easy to say, I was right
Old 05-13-2008, 09:09 PM
ZZ4Vetteguy
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by *89x2*
Fair enough. But it would have been just as easy to say, I was right
I never said you were right...my ADD just made me lose interest.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Bullcrappy1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about the law or VA nor do I but I know a metal plate isnt need for a radar gun to work on a vette. radar has nothing to do with metal... lol unreal..

r
Old 05-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullcrappy1
I don't know about the law or VA nor do I but I know a metal plate isnt need for a radar gun to work on a vette. radar has nothing to do with metal... lol unreal..

r
Radar does need something to reflect off of, and some things it will simply pass through. Laser speed detectors, being light, definitely need something direct to reflect off of.

I am not suggesting this is the reason for front plates, but absolutely running a front plate increases the ability to get a speed reading on a car with radar or laser.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:51 PM
Bullcrappy1
Instructor

reflect off of yes, need to be metal no. the front lic. plate has nothing to do with radar or the reason its there. thats my only point as I know very lil about traffic laws lol.

r
Old 05-15-2008, 11:24 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

No matter the reason………..I will have a bill introduced in the next session to make this a 1 plate state, and a good fight to get it passed this time …………….stay tuned
Old 05-15-2008, 03:00 PM
PortDawg
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by ALLTHROTTLE&NOBOTTLE
No matter the reason………..I will have a bill introduced in the next session to make this a 1 plate state, and a good fight to get it passed this time …………….stay tuned
When I get back from here, we need to talk....
Old 05-15-2008, 04:22 PM
edcmat-l1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Aurora40
Radar does need something to reflect off of, and some things it will simply pass through. Laser speed detectors, being light, definitely need something direct to reflect off of.
Radar does not "pass through" a car. It hits a surface, then bounces off. With a car shaped like a vette, that radar wave, when it bounces off, typically will not bounce back to the receiver, thereby rendering the data useless, if it registers at all.
The same principal behind stealth aircraft. They use special materials, along with odd shapes and angles to prevent the radar wave from bouncing off, and returning the receiver and registering a blip.
The front plate makes for a nice flat surface for the radar to bounce off of.
Lasers on the other hand are a whole different ballgame.

Last edited by edcmat-l1; 05-16-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Radar does not "pass through" a car. I hits a surface, then bounces off. With a car shaped like a vette, that radar wave, when it bounces off, typically will not bounce back to the receiver, thereby rendering the data useless, if it registers at all.
The same principal behind stealth aircraft. They use special materials, along with odd shapes and angles to prevent the radar wave from bouncing off, and returning the receiver and registering a blip.
The front plate makes for a nice flat surface for the radar to bounce off of.
Lasers on the other hand are a whole different ballgame.
I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but you are making a straw-man argument. I certainly never said radar would pass through a car. As it's an electromagnetic wave, though, it certainly will pass right through some materials. I wouldn't be surprised if it would pass right through fiberglass. Certainly it would bounce off of the engine, radiator, and other things, if not off of body panels. Those surfaces are not always vertical though, and may bounce it off in other directions than back at the radar gun.

A license plate is generally quite vertical, and quite reflective to both laser and radar, being made of metal and coated with reflective paint. It would increase the ability to get a speed reading on a car. I did not suggest a car would be stealth without a front plate though.

I'm not sure where you are going with the stealth aircraft aspect, but I'm fairly confident that if you stuck a license plate onto the front of a stealth aircraft, it would be more susceptible to being detected by radar.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:35 PM
Bepratt
Instructor

wow... umm they require front and rear license plates on all vehicles not just corvettes so the argument of it bouncing off the body panels because they are so curved is ridiculous. This whole conversation is ridiculous. They just have the damn plates on both front and rear to better identify the vehicle lol. Sucks. And your corvettes are all ugly because of it :ROFL:
Old 05-16-2008, 09:12 AM
edcmat-l1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Aurora40
I'm not sure where you are going with the stealth aircraft aspect, but I'm fairly confident that if you stuck a license plate onto the front of a stealth aircraft, it would be more susceptible to being detected by radar.
Thats exactly my point. Not that I believe Va wants front tags for the sole purpose of radar. As stated earlier, Va had front tags way before radar was even around.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:40 PM
ZZ4Vetteguy
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Bepratt
. And your corvettes are all ugly because of it :ROFL:

With the exception of maybe half a dozen or so where the owners have over modded them and added every appearance mod to the car they could get from Eklers, Mid America, and Corvette Central, there is no such thing as an ugly Vette.

Last edited by ZZ4Vetteguy; 05-16-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:39 PM
shoptek
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is what my late Daddy told me when I was about 8 ....& I thought he was the smartest man ever

Front and rear tags so if the car was involved in a crime (hit and run/robbery/ etc) witnesses had an additional vantage point to record the tag #.

Made sense to me then
Old 05-17-2008, 09:08 PM
IVOZO6
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I never ran a plate on the front of my Vette in Virginia.

It was a non issue.

Vettes were exempt in my book...
Old 05-17-2008, 09:16 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Radar does not "pass through" a car.
I once had radar aimed at my car and it did pass through and burned my pants off...At least that's what I told Mrs. WKMCD.

Quick Reply: It finally dawned on me why VA requires two tags!