Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

sick of winter, checking out sarasota fla. area...please help...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 01:18 PM
slvr 07
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sick of winter, checking out sarasota fla. area...please help...

i've been on the internet this morning, in between shoveling my driveway, and looking at my vert. covered and tentered, can anyone give me some positive feedback on the area, so i can convince my wife that this would be a good move.......
Old 02-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by slvr 07
i've been on the internet this morning, in between shoveling my driveway, and looking at my vert. covered and tentered, can anyone give me some positive feedback on the area, so i can convince my wife that this would be a good move.......
Tell her the bugs are not really as big as they say.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:30 PM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

way too hot and humid most of the year.... hurricanes,,, bugs,,,
Old 02-26-2008, 01:47 PM
slvr 07
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by alanhang
there goes my dreame house....
Old 02-26-2008, 01:51 PM
NyCorvette2017
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Older Community

My parents lived there for 15 years after retiring from New York. A very well to do community for retirees. My parents loved the town and all it had to offer, but did not care much for their neighbors, as many of them were still living in their working years as far as "I was a VP of this company and that" instead of being regular people enjoying there golden years.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:51 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Think of it this way - there is less chance of getting hit by a hurrican in Florida then there is getting snowed on in upstate NY. as for the bugs, you always have a food source should times get tough. sun, sand, and lots of vettes ---- what's not to like?
Old 02-26-2008, 01:58 PM
C6YA
Instructor

We drive our vettes 365 days a year. Unless you work outside, the heat is a non is issue. Outside sports are a little harder, but buck up, it makes you tougher. I have lived in Florida most of my life and love it. The beaches are b-e-a-utiful, the economy is strong and housing is still relatively inexpensive. What else is there?
Old 02-26-2008, 02:50 PM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

If she dosen't want to go you will never convince her. Take her down in july and you can both get a feel for the real world conditios. Like get in touch with a builder who is setting up a sudivision they will put you up for 4-5 days in hopes of selling a house . We did this at the villages to try it out. Good Luck
Old 02-26-2008, 02:56 PM
aerobaticflyer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts

It really is miserable down here. I wouldn't recommend it.

This is in Sarasota:

Old 02-26-2008, 03:17 PM
slvr 07
Melting Slicks

were going down in april for easter break, will be staying 200 miles from sarasota, i will have to make the drive over there, attempting to contact real estate in the mean time. thanks for all your help. kinda
Old 02-26-2008, 03:17 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by slvr 07
there goes my dreame house....
no. you just need a big net....
Old 02-26-2008, 03:18 PM
PolishDude
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

its a beautiful place, just have her come down one time, thats all you need to do
Old 02-26-2008, 03:37 PM
JLargo
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Beautiful, I go boating year round. I live in the Clearwater/St. Pete area, but Sarasota is just down the coast.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:51 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,070 Likes on 593 Posts

I'm only quoting my sweet wifey. "BITE ME!!!" Guess we'll stay here in f#@$%&@g P%&&*+#$@!^a !!! That's because we don't want to leave our family. ;yn Like they could really care.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:18 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 602 Likes on 456 Posts

I have been living in Tampa Florida for four years now....and I love it. I know for a fact that I wouldn't have enjoyed my Corvette of north, meaning the State of Maryland due to the inconsistent weather. Like someone said earlier, at least I can drive my Corvette 365 days a year and enjoy it. However, that shouldn't be the main reason to move to Florida. Sarasota is very nice but the cost of living is probably one of the highest in the State. Oh yeah, it is very beautiful and you would most certainly enjoy driving your Corvette. Hence especially in the spring/fall/winter months. To me summer is summer almost everywhere in the nation. You would get use to the summer heat. Sarasota is closer to the Gulf, so you do get that summer breeze down there. There are a lot of haters/jeolousy people when you speak about Florida. You have to ask yourself, do you stay outside in the hot summer heat up State? I just love the 75/80 degrees at night with my roof off. My Corvette would have become a garage queen if I had stayed up State. If you can't do it now, think about it in the future. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:07 PM
VETTAMOUS
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14

my brother retired from dupont in niagra area. he moved to florida and his wife stayed in new york. he worked on her for a while, she never gave in, so he just left in winter and he plays golf and goes home every other month or so. spends most of his time in florida. and loves it. she doesnt want to leave family and grand kids.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:13 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,932 Likes on 4,812 Posts

It is a beautiful area, one in which we considered. But we did not move as the Summer was just too overbearing even in the early morning. I would suggest you take a trip there in the middle of Summer and judge for yourself. We have decided to spend 3 months in Florida a year to get away from the upstate NY Winter. We have been doing this for the past 5 years and love the change.

Get notified of new replies

To sick of winter, checking out sarasota fla. area...please help...

Old 02-26-2008, 05:14 PM
slvr 07
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dvilin
It is a beautiful area, one in which we considered. But we did not move as the Summer was just too overbearing even in the early morning. I would suggest you take a trip there in the middle of Summer and judge for yourself. We have decided to spend 3 months in Florida a year to get away from the upstate NY Winter. We have been doing this for the past 5 years and love the change.
im thinking is. your logic makes the most sense, maybe this way i can ease the wife into it. thanks
Old 02-26-2008, 05:21 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alanhang
Try Southern California:
  • High cost of living
  • Earthquakes
  • Brushfires
  • Mudslides
  • Traffic
  • Spanish (not required but recommended)
Old 02-26-2008, 06:03 PM
CHASLS2
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '13

Sarasota is truly a very pretty place, but it comes at a high price! Most any home on the water will run you 500k to well over 1mil, plus you have high taxes and insurance, but on the bright side home prices are falling like a rock here in Florida.

Summer weather is hot and dry, from mid May to mid Oct expect temps in the 90's for highs and lows around 72 to 82, we do not get our normal summer rains anymore here on the west coast of FL.

Winter is also dry with normal temps around 75 for highs and lows around 55, sometimes we do get in the 20's for lows, but that is maybe once every 6 years now. You can find a nice house not on the water for around $250k to 350k.

Quick Reply: sick of winter, checking out sarasota fla. area...please help...