Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Repeal Virginia Civil Remedial Fee's

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 01:20 PM
CRV3TT3
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Repeal Virginia Civil Remedial Fee's

http://www.petitiononline.com/va3202/petition.html

Here is what it states:

To: Elected Officials in the Commonwealth of Virginia

We, the citizens of Virginia, are opposed to the outrageous and unjust traffic fines imposed as "civil remedial fees" in House Bill 3202 for the following reasons:

1. The fines inflict a punishment on drivers that is disproportionate to the degree of the offense they committed.
2. The fines are mandatory, and judges are given no discretion in sentencing.
3. The language of the bill states that the purpose is to "generate revenue" and hence the fines have nothing to do with traffic safety.
4. The bill's sponsor, Del. David Albo (R- 42nd District) is a partner in a law firm that specializes in traffic court cases and stands to benefit personally from this legislation. This type of conflict of interest should not be tolerated.
5. The fines in the bill apply ONLY to Virginia residents, hence unfairly creating different penalties for the same traffic offense based solely on residency.
6. In order to generate additional revenue, points for driving offenses remain on the offender's license for up to 11 years. This will unnecessarily increase the offender's insurance rates for a time frame that is incongruent with the degree of the offense.

We, the undersigned, demand the immediate repeal of these "civil remedial fees." We will not vote for any state Delegate or State Senator who voted for this bill, or for any Delegate or Senator who does not take action to repeal the sections of House Bill 3202 that inflict these exorbitant and unjust penalties.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned
Old 07-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Buzzardz_vette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Signed it - number 29476.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Black94Coupe
Burning Brakes

Number 33360... Its growing!

Matt
Old 07-12-2007, 06:07 PM
1bernie1
Racer

# 35202
Old 07-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Wickd1
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I also signed it, EVERYONE in va needs to sign this,

Old 07-12-2007, 10:16 PM
OIF2XVET
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry, I kinda have to laugh, you are all getting screwed. I live in VA now but will still keep my MI plates and drivers license. Did I mention I just got a speeding ticket. It costed a huge $145.00 ha, ha just kidding. Good luck with your plight. I think the new fines for you all are BS so I hope it works out for you all.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:16 PM
ZZ4Vetteguy
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Signed it, copied the link and emailed it to all my friends and family in VA.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:19 PM
ZZ4Vetteguy
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by OIF2XVET
Sorry, I kinda have to laugh, you are all getting screwed. I live in VA now but will still keep my MI plates and drivers license. Did I mention I just got a speeding ticket. It costed a huge $145.00 ha, ha just kidding. Good luck with your plight. I think the new fines for you all are BS so I hope it works out for you all.
Ok, so I say we all register our cars under Brian's name so we can all get MI tags.

Could you just imagine what your insurance would go up to with all those Vettes in your name?
Old 07-12-2007, 10:27 PM
LilR3dCorvette
Le Mans Master

St: Jude Donor '10

Signed.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:48 PM
PortDawg
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '05

Old 07-12-2007, 11:01 PM
OIF2XVET
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Joe, actually with the corvette, prowler, firebird and mustang I have a multi car discount so my insurance would probably go down more. and yes I have full coverage on all of them. Hey its worth a try though
Old 07-12-2007, 11:08 PM
ZZ4Vetteguy
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by OIF2XVET
Joe, actually with the corvette, prowler, firebird and mustang I have a multi car discount so my insurance would probably go down more. and yes I have full coverage on all of them. Hey its worth a try though
You have a prowler? I have always wanted to try one of those out.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:16 AM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Old 07-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Rick Williams
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CRV3TT3
http://www.petitiononline.com/va3202/petition.html

Here is what it states:

To: Elected Officials in the Commonwealth of Virginia

We, the citizens of Virginia, are opposed to the outrageous and unjust traffic fines imposed as "civil remedial fees" in House Bill 3202 for the following reasons:

1. The fines inflict a punishment on drivers that is disproportionate to the degree of the offense they committed.
2. The fines are mandatory, and judges are given no discretion in sentencing.
3. The language of the bill states that the purpose is to "generate revenue" and hence the fines have nothing to do with traffic safety.
4. The bill's sponsor, Del. David Albo (R- 42nd District) is a partner in a law firm that specializes in traffic court cases and stands to benefit personally from this legislation. This type of conflict of interest should not be tolerated.
5. The fines in the bill apply ONLY to Virginia residents, hence unfairly creating different penalties for the same traffic offense based solely on residency.
6. In order to generate additional revenue, points for driving offenses remain on the offender's license for up to 11 years. This will unnecessarily increase the offender's insurance rates for a time frame that is incongruent with the degree of the offense.

We, the undersigned, demand the immediate repeal of these "civil remedial fees." We will not vote for any state Delegate or State Senator who voted for this bill, or for any Delegate or Senator who does not take action to repeal the sections of House Bill 3202 that inflict these exorbitant and unjust penalties.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned
Online petitions are usless....
You must contact YOUR individual legislator in your district who represents you and whom YOU actually VOTE for to have a chance at changing this legislation...They slipped this one in on most of us..
There might be some legal challenges through the courts , but since these are "civil" penalties they have loop holes...
They only apply to Misdemeanors which are "crimes " under the Va. codes, NOT traffic infractions.
It's great we are sticking together but look at at your representatives voting record in the Va. legislative web sites and go after them individually on how they voted if you are opposed to it...
Stay safe
Rick
Old 07-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Mr turbo rotary
Team Owner

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

A powerful law firm here is already challenging the new law...
Old 07-14-2007, 12:51 PM
Mr turbo rotary
Team Owner

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Williams
It's great we are sticking together but look at at your representatives voting record in the Va. legislative web sites and go after them individually on how they voted if you are opposed to it...
Stay safe
Rick
Yep. I argued with Albo through e-mails when he was putting this legislation together. The guy is a real piece of work.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:06 PM
PortDawg
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '05

Is he an elected official? Then start a recall....if Grey Davis can be recalled....

Hmmm, maybe I should run for office...

Get notified of new replies

To Repeal Virginia Civil Remedial Fee's

Old 07-14-2007, 10:04 PM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

I voted and posted the following comment:

Here is yet another shining example of how state legislators demonstrate their lack of vision and forethought when it comes to representing the citizens of Virginia. That a representative would insert this abomination into a transportation bill is an outrage and the fact that he is a senior partner in a law firm that specializes in representing defendants in traffic-related offices is unconscionable. This represents only himself; he should be censured, removed from his delegate position and his right to practice law should be reviewed by the state bar for ethics violations.
There are now 71811 Total Signatures
Old 07-15-2007, 05:54 PM
STREETKNIGHT
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Don't mean to butt in but are there any (traffic) attorney's on this part of the forum in the Hampton Roads area? I have a friend in need.

Thanks,

Gordon
Tampa

Last edited by STREETKNIGHT; 07-15-2007 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:30 AM
Black 'n Tan
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

I've signed, and written my Reps. I've even considering running for Rep myself, next time. I think a HS school teacher has a better grip on stretching money, and MOTIVATING PEOPLE TO OBEY LAWS, other than childish, punitive, measures. I think there should be automatic "ticket forgiveness", if one hasn't had an infraction in 5 years. Why aren't any laws written that encourage, or offer bonuses to the silent 98% that work each day, pay their taxes, and are law abiding?

John

Quick Reply: Repeal Virginia Civil Remedial Fee's