C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

~*Finally, the answers to all of your OnStar questions for your C6!*~

Old 01-25-2005, 11:00 AM
_Nomad_
Team Owner

Location: Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do, because they're fassst…and they DART, THAT'S crazy!
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
-'24

Default ~*Finally, the answers to all of your OnStar questions for your C6!*~

I have noticed that many people are asking the same questions regarding OnStar in their C6. Is their OnStar digital or analog? Can they use their Verizon account with it? Can it be upgraded? So, I did a little research and here are the answers to all of the questions asked here straight from OnStar themselves. Perhaps this can be placed in the FAQ sticky threads for future reference. I hope this helps.

Everything here can be found at the OnStar website HERE.

Digital Transition
In November 2002, the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ruled that wireless carriers will no longer be required to support the analog wireless network as of early 2008. Additionally, wireless carriers in Canada have elected to follow suit and have also begun the shift from analog to digital technology. As a result, beginning January 1, 2008, OnStar service will be available only through dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment. From the beginning, OnStar has relied on a nationwide analog wireless network to provide communication to and from OnStar-equipped vehicles. Today, the analog network continues to provide the most extensive coverage across the U.S. and Canada. However, U.S. and Canadian wireless carriers have begun to shift from analog to digital networks and so will OnStar. Affected subscribers will be contacted prior to the transition date with more information.

Q. How does OnStar work?

A. OnStar brings together emergency service providers, wireless telephone, and satellite technologies to help protect you and help you stay connected on the road. It is powered by your vehicle's battery. If your battery is damaged or disconnected, your system will not be operational.

Q. Will my OnStar-equipped vehicle's analog-only system still work after January 1, 2008?

A. No. As of January 1, 2008, OnStar will offer service only through equipment that has the ability to operate on the digital network (i.e., dual-mode equipment).

Q. Will I still be able to get an OnStar subscription after the transition date?

A. Yes. OnStar service will be available through dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment, which is currently available on some 2004, most 2005, and all 2006 and newer OnStar-equipped vehicles. However, depending on the version of equipment in your existing vehicle, the system may or may not be upgradable to dual-mode equipment.

Q. How does the transition to the digital network affect me right now?

A. You don't need to do anything at this time. However, if you happen to be in the market for a new vehicle, OnStar-equipped vehicles with dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment are now available on some 2004, most 2005, and all 2006 and newer models.

Q. What are the different types of equipment on OnStar-equipped vehicles?

A. OnStar-equipped vehicles will have one of three types of equipment:
Analog-only: All 2002 model year and earlier vehicles have analog-only equipment. Fortunately, the FCC ruling requires that U.S. wireless carriers provide reliable, nationwide analog service up until early 2008. Additionally, Canadian wireless carriers have indicated that they will follow the U.S. transition plan. As of January 1, 2008, OnStar-equipped vehicles with analog-only equipment will no longer have OnStar service. OnStar service will be available through dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment.
Analog/Digital-Ready: Most 2003 and 2004 model year-and some 2005 model year-GM vehicles have analog/digital-ready equipment. As of January 1, 2008, OnStar service will only be offered through dual-mode equipment. However, it will be possible to install analog/digital (dual-mode) equipment on these vehicles.
Analog/Digital (Dual Mode): Some 2004, most 2005, and all 2006 model year OnStar-equipped vehicles feature dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment, which will be unaffected by the digital transition.

Q. How will I know what kind of equipment is in a vehicle?

A. There are several ways to tell what type of equipment comes on an OnStar-equipped vehicle:
a) Look for the label on GM vehicles. Most OnStar-equipped GM vehicles have an OnStar window label that indicates which of three different systems is integrated into the vehicle. Refer to question #4 for additional information.
b) Refer to this chart.

c) Ask your dealer.

Q. Will OnStar offer any special programs for affected subscribers with analog or analog/digital-ready systems?

A. OnStar is working with its vehicle partners to develop an analog-to-digital transition plan for active subscribers well in advance of 2008. Each automaker's plan will vary depending on the existing equipment within the vehicle and future OnStar availability. For the latest information, visit onstar.com/digital-transition.

Q. Why do some OnStar systems currently utilize analog equipment?

A. When OnStar launched services in 1996, analog was the most prevalent wireless service available. In addition, analog provided the widest range of coverage for nationwide service. Even today, analog continues to provide the most extensive coverage across the U.S. and Canada.

Q. Digital has been around for a while-why has OnStar chosen now to introduce digital in its equipment?

A. Before transitioning from analog to dual mode (analog/digital), OnStar had to (1) choose among the competing digital technology standards (CDMA, GSM, TDMA), considering various requirements for provision of OnStar service; (2) develop a new technology to support OnStar's unique requirements to transmit both data and voice on the same digital call; and (3) conduct rigorous testing, in conjunction with the vehicle manufacturers, to support continued reliability of the OnStar system. In addition, as a result of the 2002 FCC ruling, it was necessary for OnStar to transition to equipment that was capable of operating on digital signals in order to continue to provide service to its subscribers.

Q. When will OnStar convert to digital?

A. GM began phasing in dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment in the 2004 model year on select vehicles, and expects to have all GM vehicles transitioned to dual-mode equipment by the 2006 model year. Some of OnStar's other vehicle partners began to transition to dual-mode equipment beginning in the 2005 model year, and expect to complete the transition by the 2006 model year. Beginning January 2008, OnStar will offer service only through equipment that is capable of operating on the digital network. Please refer to onstar.com or visit your local dealer for more information.

Q. Where do I go with questions about the FCC ruling?

A. For more information about the FCC ruling (02-229), visit www.fcc.gov. For the latest information about the OnStar digital rollout plan, visit onstar.com/digital-transition

Q. What is the FCC?

A. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is a U.S. government agency charged with regulating interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite, and cable. The FCC's jurisdiction covers the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and U.S. possessions.

Q. What are carriers?

A. Currently, OnStar relies on a nationwide wireless network to provide communication to and from all OnStar-equipped vehicles. This network is made up of a number of independent wireless communication companies called "carriers."

Q. What is analog wireless?

A. Analog wireless operates in the 800MHz frequency range. Analog service transmits voice on a continuous radio wave using frequency modulation similar to an FM radio. Analog data is sent using a similar modulation technique known as Frequency Shift Keying (FSK). All 800MHz analog systems operate under a common industry standard known as Advanced Mobile Phone Services (AMPS).

Q. What is digital wireless?

A. In a digital system, voice is converted to a digital signal through a vocoder. The digital voice is then transmitted over air, depending on the system. The three dominant systems in the U.S. and Canada are CDMA, GSM, and TDMA.

Q. I have an earlier model GM vehicle (1996-1999) with a handset version of OnStar. I am having trouble getting cellular OnStar service established in my vehicle. What can I do?

A. Your vehicle is equipped with an early version of OnStar equipment which doubles as an in-vehicle analog cellular phone. To have OnStar service in your vehicle, you must first contact a cellular carrier in your area to activate the phone. However, due to the digital transition, many cellular carriers are now declining to activate new analog accounts. Note: This issue does not affect owners of vehicles equipped with the newer three-button OnStar systems.

Q. I'm an existing subscriber with a handset version of OnStar. How will I be affected by the digital transition?

A. All vehicles equipped with an OnStar handset system have analog-only equipment and will be affected in the same manner as those with analog-only three-button systems.

Your Verizon account can only be used on a digital ready system and according to OnStar your car may be Analog/Digital-Ready or Analog/Digital (refer to the above literature on how to find out which yours is). Either of those two systems can be upgraded to digital when it becomes available meaning you will be able to use your Verizon phone with it then. No need to buy a new system...just the upgrade if yours is Analog/Digital-Ready.

My OnStar literature states:
*The OnStar system in this vehicle has been prepared for conversion to digital when it becomes available.
I have the white phone on my button and my car was built on 12-1-04 for whatever that is worth. However, it also states that my system is equipped with Analog/Digital-Ready hardware.

Last edited by _Nomad_; 01-25-2005 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Fixed BB Code error
Old 01-25-2005, 11:07 AM
TRAIL BOSS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This should answer most! Thanks for taking the time!
Old 01-25-2005, 01:25 PM
_Nomad_
Team Owner

Location: Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do, because they're fassst…and they DART, THAT'S crazy!
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
-'24

Originally Posted by TRAIL BOSS
Glad I could be of help.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:32 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by TRAIL BOSS
Thanks. Found the note in my kit saying I had the analog/digital-ready hardware.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:58 PM
Easy Ed
Cruising

For future builds is there no way to know what version will be installed in your vette until after it is built?
Old 01-25-2005, 07:30 PM
WhiteC5Vette
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Good info, but just a note to say those in Alaska are already affected by this switch, if using the handfree phone service.
GM just issued a bulletin notifying dealers in Alaska that Onstar may not work in this state. It appears that the A channel (the preferred channel), will not connect due to change in their systems.
The dealers can reprogram the module to hook up to the B channel. However, this can cause problems since the A channel provider bills through Onstar, while the B channel may not.
Again, this only affects Alaska. Any Vettes in Alaska?

Info - Unable to Connect to OnStar or OnStar Personal Calling Inoperative #04-08-46-003 -

Unable to Connect to OnStar® or OnStar® Personal Calling Inoperative
2001-2005 Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks

with Analog OnStar System (RPO UE1)

This bulletin only applies to vehicles currently in the state of Alaska.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:33 PM
_Nomad_
Team Owner

-'24

Originally Posted by Easy Ed
For future builds is there no way to know what version will be installed in your vette until after it is built?
According to OnStar, until the 2006 model year the only way to tell for certain what version you have is to follow the instructions provided in my original post, and yes, that would be after the car is built. But it looks like any new C6 should at least be Analog/Digital-Ready.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:53 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Am I correct in my reading of this post that if you have a 2005 C6 with Analog/Digital Ready OnStar, that it will require a hardware change in the OnStar unit for it to function after Jan 1, 2008
Old 01-26-2005, 10:14 AM
Violet
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, that's correct. it will require a hardware upgrade.

Get notified of new replies

To ~*Finally, the answers to all of your OnStar questions for your C6!*~

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ~*Finally, the answers to all of your OnStar questions for your C6!*~