Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

C5 System Upgrade Guide ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 02:45 PM
Gweedo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 System Upgrade Guide ?

I've done a bunch of searches, but I am having trouble finding the information I am looking for. Is there a "Guide to C5 Stereo System Upgrades" thread out there?

Here is my situation.

I have an '01 Z06. I have an Alpine head unit. I would like to install the head unit. Eventually I would like to add a sub and an amp. Soon after that I would like to upgrade the speakers.

What I think I am hearing is that I can not do this in stages, correct?

I'll ask my questions here just to make sure.

Can I change the Bose head unit out for an aftermarket head unit and nothing else? Can this be done with a basic harness adaptor, or do you have to buy the $100 one?

If I install a factory head unit and different speakers can I use the factory speaker wires, or do I have to run new ones?

What size speakers fit in the doors? What is in there stock?

What speakers come in the back, what fits?

Best place to mount an amp?

Any abnormal wiring or tricks that need to be done replacing this Bose system that you wouldn't expect from a "normal" car?

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2005, 04:23 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gweedo
I've done a bunch of searches, but I am having trouble finding the information I am looking for. Is there a "Guide to C5 Stereo System Upgrades" thread out there?

Here is my situation.

I have an '01 Z06. I have an Alpine head unit. I would like to install the head unit. Eventually I would like to add a sub and an amp. Soon after that I would like to upgrade the speakers.

What I think I am hearing is that I can not do this in stages, correct?

I'll ask my questions here just to make sure.

Can I change the Bose head unit out for an aftermarket head unit and nothing else? Can this be done with a basic harness adaptor, or do you have to buy the $100 one?

If I install a factory head unit and different speakers can I use the factory speaker wires, or do I have to run new ones?

What size speakers fit in the doors? What is in there stock?

What speakers come in the back, what fits?

Best place to mount an amp?

Any abnormal wiring or tricks that need to be done replacing this Bose system that you wouldn't expect from a "normal" car?

Thanks!

some good questions here. I'll do my best to answer them, other members will chime in if anything is wrong...

as far as a guide, it is in the c5 'tech tips' section. if you cant find it, do a search for my posts i posted the links a week or two ago.

As far as doing it in stages, you can but it'll be more expensive because you do have to buy adaptors. What you could do is save that $100 and put it towards front speakers. run the fronts off your head unit and forget about the rear speakers till you have the spare cash.

that $100 adaptor you are talking about is to interface your aftermarket h/u with the stock bose amps/speakers.

You can use the factory wires, but it's better to replace them. just make sure to tap off the wires before the amps.

door speakers can be anything from an 8 inch infinate baffle sub to 3-way components with a 6.5" mid bass to 2-way components (6.5" too) or a less expensive 6.5" coaxial speaker.

Not exactly sure about the rear speakers (i'm not using them in my set up) i think they are 6.5" speakers as well

amp mounting... vertical is usually better then horizontal. some people mount the amp right behind the large center compartment in the trunk. I make an amp that goes right behind my convertable top when it's in the down position. This not only makes an nice place to mount the amp, but also blocks out a lot of road noise.

some abnormalities would be that the dimmer lead will not function if the stock h/u isn't hooked up.

Hope some of this helps
Old 01-20-2005, 11:48 PM
torchredsled
Intermediate

This adapter will let you hook up the alpine to your Bose setup.

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soungmcrv1.html

Depending on what you are used to in sound, it may be fine, or you may hate it. I thought it was OK, but I've always had a pretty good system, so the Bose just didn't do it for me.

The bonus for me was that my system in my 2000 SS fit the vette perfectly. I just had to set aside the time to do it. One of these days I'll post the pics!
Old 01-21-2005, 12:59 AM
gmosley
Burning Brakes

Default advice

As far as doing it in stages, you can but it'll be more expensive because you do have to buy adaptors. What you could do is save that $100 and put it towards front speakers. run the fronts off your head unit and forget about the rear speakers till you have the spare cash.

good advice
dont waste your money on rear speakers i have a set of cdt audio 3 ways in the front and factory in the rear i faded mine to the front just enough to where the rears can barely be heard with the fronts (brought the soundstage back just a touch)
the rear speakers placement makes them pretty much useless so i just fade them out to almost nothing
if you plan on running subs spending money on rear speakers would really be a waste as the high frequencies would be eaten up by the bass waves coming from the rear
if you are amplifying the door speakers dont use factory wiring
door speakers off the head unit you can use the factory wiring
once the two small plugs off the back of the radio are unplugged the processor in the bcm is disabled allowing full range signal through the factory wiring
ALSO I SAY THIS WITH THE UTMOST SERIOUSNESS THE BEST MOD YOU CAN MAKE TO YOUR STEREO IS DOING THE REFLEXTIC SOUND INSULATION MOD ON THE FLOOR OF THE CABIN
after i did this the bose system sounded 10 times better
just my 2 cents

Last edited by gmosley; 01-21-2005 at 01:01 AM.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:51 AM
ROBO1219
Intermediate

gmosley, what type and amount of sound deadening material did you use? did you have any problems getting the carpet to fit over this material?
Old 01-25-2005, 09:56 PM
gmosley
Burning Brakes

Default reflectix

i used reflectix from home depot or lowes (both sell it) its 25 bucks for a 2foot by 25 roll
i used one layer its basically bubble wrap with aluminum foil on each side
the carpet lays down fine i actually used the seat bolts that stick up to secure it just push them through and wipe off the stud
Old 01-26-2005, 12:55 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Guys,

I have been the FAQ geek for a while now... I have 2 in C4 and the one here!

Keep this thread going, and I will use it as a basis for a C5 Audio FAQ.

I don't know a lot about C5 audio, except it does suck.

Sound like a plan??? Once it's started, I can support it with input from everyone...
Old 01-26-2005, 09:48 AM
barufaldi
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Great Idea

Bogus,
Great idea for the FAQ. I have searched for everything I need, but it would be nice to have it all in one place. Here is what I would like to see:

1) Speaker sizes and models that will fit each body style in stock locations
2) Suggested speakers and amps for variuos price ranges (not all of us want a competition system)
3) Details with photos of where to run power and ground for amp
4) Links to manufactures of C5 sub boxes and head unit kits and adapters
5) A good description of how the factory C5 system works (Andy of A&A had a good one somewhere)
6) List of good installers in various areas of the country
Old 01-26-2005, 10:17 AM
leolufse
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by barufaldi
Bogus,
Great idea for the FAQ. I have searched for everything I need, but it would be nice to have it all in one place. Here is what I would like to see:

All models use a 3.5" and 7" speaker in the doors. The 3.5" is run from the stock HU and can be replaced with just about any 3.5" speaker.
I like the MB Quart DKC 108. You can get them for $39 at ikesound.com.

The 7" speaker is run from its own amp and can't be replaced.
The other option is to remove the ENTIRE assembly, make a mounting plate out of 1/4" material, using the assembly as a template. You can fit up to a 6.5" and 4" speaker on this assembly.

If you desire rear speakers, they are 6.5" in coupe and 5.25" in FRC, z06, and vert. These speakers are run from the stock HU.

Old 01-26-2005, 01:00 PM
vette_tweak
Racer

What impedance are the stock speakers? What power output is the stock/Bose system rated for (per speaker)?
Old 01-26-2005, 09:06 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Originally Posted by barufaldi
Bogus,

most certianly.

2) Suggested speakers and amps for variuos price ranges (not all of us want a competition system)
More then likely.

3) Details with photos of where to run power and ground for amp
this is dependant on the kindness of others.

4) Links to manufactures of C5 sub boxes and head unit kits and adapters
some of that is easily done.

5) A good description of how the factory C5 system works (Andy of A&A had a good one somewhere)
If someone can direct me.

6) List of good installers in various areas of the country
No way. I don't know them, and I don't like the idea of free advertizing for unknowns.

check out my C4 Audio FAQ... this will look much the same.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:09 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

here is something useful for the faq:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=907708
The inexpensive aux input option for those with cd changers
Old 02-18-2005, 04:54 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

http://www.carstereohelp.com/strcorvette.htm
http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...or_handle.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ght=ground+amp

Last edited by scott_fx; 02-18-2005 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:50 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

great post for wiring info and lots of pics:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1550286452
Old 05-10-2005, 02:46 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Default Acc Wire location

Acc Wire location
Originally Posted by ryentee
I just finished my install over the weekend doing the same thing. Easiest place to get the constant,switched, ground is in the passenger foot well. There is a square silver box, which I am assuming is some type of computer, but in the upper left of that box is 3 wires with black tape around them. There is a yellow,orange and black. I cannot remember off the top of my head but I think the orange was the constant and the yellow was the switched and black was ground. I did not hookup the dimmer. You might want to search the audio section here to find out exactly for the correct color arrangement. Hope this helps.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:42 PM
EatRice
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Gweedo...alot of good information in here. Let me know if you need any help or parts. I have a ton of Stinger wire here at my place and many other needed supplies.

The C5 is really an easy an car to upgrade the sound in. There is ample room for speakers in the doors and in the hatch for good sub(s). The car comes apart and goes back together with little trouble and has good locations for running wires. I am about to redo my install for the 3rd and finall time and will post up more detailed pics of behind the scenes stuff.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:28 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

this is an old thread, i've just been adding stuff to it so we can have a c5 audio faq.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 System Upgrade Guide ?

Old 05-10-2005, 04:45 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by EatRice
. . . I am about to redo my install for the 3rd and final time and will post up more detailed pics of behind the scenes stuff.

Randy, I know you've helped me an awful lot, but when I started reading your post, I couldn't quit laughing.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:01 PM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ryentee
I just finished my install over the weekend doing the same thing. Easiest place to get the constant,switched, ground is in the passenger foot well. There is a square silver box, which I am assuming is some type of computer, but in the upper left of that box is 3 wires with black tape around them. There is a yellow,orange and black. I cannot remember off the top of my head but I think the orange was the constant and the yellow was the switched and black was ground. I did not hookup the dimmer. You might want to search the audio section here to find out exactly for the correct color arrangement. Hope this helps.

The info that ryentee was great. I found mine had a plug/harness with the 3 wires I needed not connected to anything and taped off. Not sure if it was from the factory this way or someone cut it, but I used the harness for the power, accessory and ground. I just need to find out how to retain the function that keeps the stereo on after the car is turned off.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:03 PM
bogus
Team Owner

I will read this in more detail, and start creating a real FAQ!

How does that sound?

Quick Reply: C5 System Upgrade Guide ?