Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 12:25 PM
MyBlueC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05
CI VI Veteran

Default Headlight door not closing all the way?

I've noticed the last few weeks that my left headlight doesn't close all the way. It sticks up about a 1/4". I took a quick look at it and didn't notice any stops that could be adjusted. Obviously owning a bodyshop, I'm quite capable of replacing the thing but I wanted to make sure there wasn't some quirk like the C4's when the bushings use to go out.

I'm assuming without even looking at it something is wrong in the motor because it wouldn't normally just go out of adjustment. The headlamp opens and closes... just not all the way.

Anyone encounter this before?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 01-17-2005, 12:41 PM
Ego-Trip
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8 Veteran

I had a problem on my last Vette but it was just a slight adjustment. If I remember correctly, the panel that covers the top of the headlight has 2 screws on each side that allow for alignment. You can move it forwards, backwards, tilt it up, tilt it down, etc. Just flip the headlight up and you should see the screws on each side.

If thats not it, I dont know what to tell you. I dont know anything about actually moving the headlight bucket itself.

Old 01-17-2005, 08:21 PM
MyBlueC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05
CI VI Veteran

Much appreciated but I think the problem is in the motor itself. It's simply not going it's full travel length. When it does, it is adjusted perfect, just once in a while it doesn't close all the way.

Thanks though,

Mark
Old 01-18-2005, 11:46 AM
SilverRoadster00
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar problem, except instead of not travelling the entire distance, mine goes all the way down, then comes back up a little bit. I just pop the hood and crank it down flush. It seems like the stops are maybe out of whack? Does it even have stops?
Old 01-18-2005, 12:18 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by MyBlueC5
I've noticed the last few weeks that my left headlight doesn't close all the way. It sticks up about a 1/4". I took a quick look at it and didn't notice any stops that could be adjusted. Obviously owning a bodyshop, I'm quite capable of replacing the thing but I wanted to make sure there wasn't some quirk like the C4's when the bushings use to go out.

I'm assuming without even looking at it something is wrong in the motor because it wouldn't normally just go out of adjustment. The headlamp opens and closes... just not all the way.

Anyone encounter this before?

Thanks,

Mark
I've never encountered this specific problem but it sounds like it could be a problem with the gear itself. They are known to wear and cause problems with the operation of the light. There are metal replacement gear kits available like this one. You may have a broken or worn tooth.

http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=1.5749

Other members have had luck taking out the gear and turning it 180 degrees and extending the life a bit.

Paul

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight door not closing all the way?

Quick Reply: Headlight door not closing all the way?