C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

B&M or Hurst shifter - Tips/comments/opinions/advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 03:07 PM
mffi115
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default B&M or Hurst shifter - Tips/comments/opinions/advice?

Thinkin' about replacing my shifter with a B&M or Hurst for my'94 6spd. Hard to do? Worth doing? Don't plan to race - just like the fun of driving it but want to reduce the throw on the shifter.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:49 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

This is one of those topics that usually starts a "mine is better than yours" discussion. I chose the Hurst shifter over the B&M. If you put both of them side by side, I think you'll pick the Hurst, but if you want the shorter throw, then maybe the B&M is your choice. It's a PITA, but well worth the effort. It's been the most fun mod I have done to my Vette.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:58 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

Strick,
Time to detail your interior.
(PS the shifter looks great)

Larry
code5coupe
Old 01-11-2005, 04:02 PM
Strick
Race Director

Originally Posted by rocco16
Strick,
Time to detail your interior.
(PS the shifter looks great)

Larry
code5coupe
That was after a weekend of auto-xing with the top down. It's better now.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Reducing the throw, why do that, it isn't that much to begin with. Now if you want a better shifter then it's fine. My opinion based on driving cars with both types, the Hurst is the superior shifter. The throw is reduced by 30%(not that you would ever notice).

The B&M is too clunky and hard to speed shift when you want to.

You will lose the reverse lockout either way, but that shouldn't be a problem, I haven't met anyone yet that had a need to powershift into 6th gear.

The B&M is a lot shorter and if that's what you really want, but for daily driving I would go with the Hurst.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:32 PM
1996man
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont own either but i have driven a couple cars with the hurst shifter and it is amazing! its the way the car should have come stock. not to hard or clunky but just right. if you like the way the stock shifts feel wait till you try this one! I have not tried a B&M so i really cant compare but i will say you wont be sorry if you choose the hurst!
Old 01-11-2005, 04:47 PM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was a huge PITA!!! I ended up having to get help becuase I could not align the shifter and the input shaft to insert a dowl pin... took my 8 hours when the manual says 3... of course I was stubborn and refused to ask for help when I needed it.

All in all it was worth it. I went with a B&M. It is pretty much the same as the Hurst, but the B&M is more notchy like a race tranny feel where the Hurst is smooth like the factory unit. It is a matter of preference as to which is likable. My wife hates the B&M and claims that it hurts her arm to pull the shifter into the next gear... but I love it
Old 01-11-2005, 06:16 PM
ninetyfivevette
Burning Brakes

I just installed the Hurst short throw on my ZF6 I am installing. I did it on the bench and it was STILL a PITA!!

That said, I think it will be very worth while. I had to file mine to fit the pivot properly. I'm not sure if mine recieved an extra thick coat of power coat, but it fit much tighter than the stock shifter (so tight it was difficult to move the shifter). I measured with a pair of calipers to confirm the Hurst piece was significantly larger. Again, nothing a file didn't fix.

BTW, I got mine off ebay for $117, new in the box. I think they usually go for around 150-200 elsewhere, so it pays to shop around. I also went with the Hurst ball shifter, which was $28 from the same ebay vendor.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:26 PM
1989redvette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just bought / installed a hurst shifter in my 89 .. i don't know if i was lucky or what but it was a breeze... it seems alot nicer and is tighter.. i like the shorter throw and it feels more positive .. it only took me 4 hours to do it start to finish.. i would however suggest read the directions they do help... as for the b&m shifter i didn't like it .. it seemed you had to muscle it into gear .. to short for my liking but to each thier own.. i was very pleased with the hurst ,.. now if the damn snow will go away i can get out and really give it a run through the gears
Old 01-11-2005, 07:54 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I have Hurst and love it.

You really need to try both, to make an assessment.

I don't agree with Frank on the "lack of difference". I noticed it immediately. The throw is much tighter and shorter. And the shifter is shorter, making for a more ergonomic fit.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:10 PM
BlackBeast2
Pro

Mine is a hurst that has been cut down an additional inch or so. I also ran a hurst one one of our previous mustangs. Very good quality. Mine in the C4 does feel a little chunky, but the hurst's typically do come with very heavy springs. This is a plus because the 'centering' of the stick back to the middle groove (nuetral) is very prevelant and machine like. The only shifts I have missed have been power shifts into 5th. (me trying to hard). Usually the hursts seem to 'know' where you want to go.

Sorry I don't have any interior pics of how short my shifter is, but lets just say its definatly short. (no jokes please )
I have recently off-set this by using a billet ball thats tapped for a C5. (shallower thread depth than a C4).
Old 01-11-2005, 08:15 PM
Tony.96LT4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bogus

I don't agree with Frank on the "lack of difference". I noticed it immediately. The throw is much tighter and shorter. And the shifter is shorter, making for a more ergonomic fit.

The shorter stick is more comfortable when shifting. Well worth the time to install. In all fairness I didn't have have any trouble slamming gears with the stock shifter but I think the Hurst/B&M might give some people more confidence to bang'em.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:46 PM
mffi115
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Again, Great feedback!

Love this forum. I've gotten great advice on all the ??? I've posted since I've joined. Where the H was this forum when I was stumbling around with my new '73, old '68, old '77, old '80 and 2nd very old '73. Yeah, I'm that old. I take it the exhaust has to be removed to get to the shifter.

Mr. Mojo, You're right. Better shifter is what I want, but the stock throw could be shorter. The stock shifter is very smooth, however. I just HAVE to mod my rides. Can't help it.

I think from all the comments that I'll go with the Hurst. That's what I put in my first '73.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:40 PM
Strick
Race Director

Also checkout the Tech Tips for some extra instructions.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:38 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mffi115
Love this forum. I've gotten great advice on all the ??? I've posted since I've joined. Where the H was this forum when I was stumbling around with my new '73, old '68, old '77, old '80 and 2nd very old '73. Yeah, I'm that old. I take it the exhaust has to be removed to get to the shifter.

Mr. Mojo, You're right. Better shifter is what I want, but the stock throw could be shorter. The stock shifter is very smooth, however. I just HAVE to mod my rides. Can't help it.

I think from all the comments that I'll go with the Hurst. That's what I put in my first '73.
The internet was invented in 1969, it's just that no one heard of it until 1990.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:54 AM
cicch95
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

I got a Hurst and I love it. Can't say anything about the B&M, never tried one!

-Rick
Old 01-12-2005, 08:37 AM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bogus

same exact thing here

Get notified of new replies

To B&M or Hurst shifter - Tips/comments/opinions/advice?

Old 01-12-2005, 09:28 AM
VR'92
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

Hurst install isn't that bad.

Its not over anyone's head or anything, its just tough to get the pin in place that mates the shifter and tranny together. I just made sure the little pin was in the top portion of the shifting linkage then after sliding it in place pushed it down and whala, done. Now putting the boot back sucked but after a few bad words and a couple of pushes it went on.

Shifts great, love it. Would never go back to stock.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:03 AM
F1Fan
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

I haven't had both in the same car, but the Hurst in my '99 Camaro SS had a much softer feel (and way longer throw) than the B&M in the C4. The B&M is ratchety, but I like it alot better than the Hurst.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:34 PM
SeventyGTX
Advanced

Is this the Hurst shifter you guys are using, and is this a good price?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Quick Reply: B&M or Hurst shifter - Tips/comments/opinions/advice?