C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade 1SA/1SX to Homelink Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 10:06 PM
David Lasic
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Upgrade 1SA/1SX to Homelink Mirror

Just finished installing a drivers side mirror with the HomeLink transmitter on my C6. I wanted this feature, but, not the 1SB package.

I found the C6 mirror on eBay and got it delivered for $50.00 along with a passenger side mirror (didn't use that one).

You can just as well purchase a NEW driver's side mirror from "Parts Bob" at Ken Fitchner's in Montana. Not sure on price for a new one.

Now, good news. This is easy and very simple to do!!!!

The wiring and plug connector are exactly the same 1SA/1SX versus the 1SB mirror. Just two wires, one RED, one Black. Power and Ground respectively. If you buy the new mirror from Ken's store it may not have the connector plug. That's really O.K., just splice in the connector from the mirror you remove. See, I told you it was simple.

There is an inner bezel and the outer one that has that angled cut to fit up against the windshield header trim. On the inside bezel, there is a small slot. Put a flat screwdriver blade into that slot and hold the shaft of the screwdriver against the visor arm for leverage. This allows the inner bezel to rotate against the outer bezel while you remove the visor. Now with the visor itself down, like when driving against the sun, both pull down and rotate the visor assembly (inner bezel) towards the driver's door. When you feel the first detent, stop. Now just pull down and then continue rotating the visor assembly further towards the door. You don't need that screwdriver any longer for this part. The visor will drop down now. You will see the wiring. Fish out the wiring until you see the connector. There is plenty of wire. If it hangs up in the windshield header, just take that screwdriver and pry the outer bezel off from the INSIDE of the bezel to avoid any scratching. This gives you a bigger opening to fish out that connector.

Connect the wiring, Red to Red, Black to Black. To reinstall the visor assembly, hold the visor about half way between the driver's door side and the windshield. Put the arm back up into the outer bezel and push up while rotating back towards the windshield (rear view mirror) The visor will snap lock back into place. You are done except for programming the HomeLink to activate your garage door(s). The instructions for that are in the owner's manual.

What is neat is that the HomeLink is active without having to start the car or put it into Accessory mode.

Now you can put the garage door remote into a drawer and enjoy the convenience of the HomeLink!!

Last edited by David Lasic; 01-04-2005 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:41 AM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Nice work. Thanks for posting.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:56 AM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Received 295 Likes on 108 Posts

What is the Homelink?
Old 01-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Wcberry
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Homelink will open your garage door among a few other things.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:49 PM
David Lasic
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Home Link can be programmed to replace the remote opener for electronic gates or garage door openers. You've got three buttons, each separately programmable.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:43 AM
Randall G.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm, I'm confused. The homelink is on the driver's-side visor, wonder why people are so interested in the rear-view mirror w/homelink Ken F. is putting together? Wonder where this rear-view mirror came from, if the factory location is on the visor? Oh, and finally, it seems like the factory wires would only lead to the visor, not to the rear-view mirror (though, I imagine they could be fished out?).

Perhaps people are interested in the rear-view mirror version because it's auto-dimming, as well?

Apologize in advance if I'm overlooking the obvious?

I'm in the same position as Dave L. Have a 1SX car coming (any day now!), want the homelink, didn't want everything that came with 1SB.

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2005, 10:46 AM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Sweet
Old 01-06-2005, 10:50 AM
06LS2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wonder if this would work with the NAV system. Do not want or need the 1SB package. Could/would a dealer install the Nav system?

Get notified of new replies

To Upgrade 1SA/1SX to Homelink Mirror

Quick Reply: Upgrade 1SA/1SX to Homelink Mirror