C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passed emmission test with 452rwhp/428rwtq LG Cam, Heads, LG Headers

Old 01-10-2005, 04:06 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by w8d4it
As Lou said this car does have the rear O2 sensors. I specifically asked Lou for a set of headers that had both sets. He offered to custom fab these because his off the shelve versions wern't ready yet. I also asked Lou to make absolutely sure this car would pass the sniffer emissions test. And he took it to the emissions place for me before I picked it up.

I've been silent on this post because I just got back from vacation and didn't really pick the car up until the end of the week. And the weather has been awful so I haven't been able to really test it fully. All I can say at this point is that it is going to be hard to keep it on the road, Everytime I floor it in first, second or third it breaks traction if I am any sort of decent RPM.

I did notice that on the drive from Dallas to Houston the cruisability is totally unaffected and I still get 27MPG at 70 MPH.

At the risk of boring readers I'll report more after I've had a few days of nice weather.
w8d4it:

I live in Dallas and would LOVE to hear how your car sounds with that setup ! Do you have any sound clips or vid clips to share ?

I am thinking that your setup is the same setup I want for my 04 Z06.

Toque
Old 01-10-2005, 04:18 PM
BlueDragon
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have all the bolt ons minus heads and cam, I have the Halltech Zo6 intake and LG headers and PASSED Calif. Visual is to ensure you have the sensors and AIR connections and that they work. The law says nothing about them having to be stock parts. If a testing center tells you they need to be stock they are full of crap the law says nothing of the sort. It says the AIR system needs to be functional and working! As well as the O2 sensors. And Mine was tested at a Calif testing center.

Originally Posted by BHP
I'd like to see that car pass is "Kali." OBDII and visual would fail since you have no rear 02's.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:09 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Hi Guys,
The next batch of headers will come with (4) 02 sensors.
You asked for it, You got it. Anyone who wants 4 sensors installed can just ask for them and we will put them in for you here at LG Motorsports. We only have a few sets of the old batch left before the new production order is filled by Borla.

We were extremely pleased with the way this car performed even while passing the sniffer test.

This cam is a variation on our G5X-1 cam. The specs on that cam are 228/234 the cam in this car was a G5X-1E (for emission cam) Of course we can not divulge exactly what we did to make this cam run so clean.

Thanks for the props guys. Glad you like it. In this market of blistering fast cars, we are very glad that Dave put this requirement on us to make this car pass emissions. Who knows if we would have even tried otherwise.

Thanks again
Lou G
Old 01-11-2005, 05:58 PM
aurik
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Elite Member

We're not worthy!! We're not worthy!!

I may have to pay you guys a visit while I'm here in Dallas (on business) and maybe find something to spend all this extra income I've got going on
Old 01-11-2005, 06:07 PM
flynbludream
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
This cam is a variation on our G5X-1 cam. The specs on that cam are 228/234 the cam in this car was a G5X-1E (for emission cam) Of course we can not divulge exactly what we did to make this cam run so clean.
Lou, it looks like that cam passed the test easily. Do you think if you did the same changes to your x-2 or x-3 those might just pass too? That would be sweet.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:45 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by flynbludream
Lou, it looks like that cam passed the test easily. Do you think if you did the same changes to your x-2 or x-3 those might just pass too? That would be sweet.

We could only try, but with the extra overlap on the other cams the task becomes much harder.

aurik, Stop in any time. We work on a few really nice Alabama Corvettes.

Thanks
Lou G
Old 02-18-2005, 11:25 AM
bluebullet
Heel & Toe

I am surprised also. A year and a half ago a car with over 450rwhp was a new milestone. In fact there are some tuners now that still don't make over 450 rwhp and their excuse is that they want to keep emmission legal.

Well now you have it. over 450rwhp 428rwtq and it passes the sniffer test.

We are very glad we did this. We love to make the 480+ rwhp numbers but now we can make this package for those who want to have a high hp package that passes the tailpipe test.

Thanks guys

Lou Gigliotti LGM
Hi Lou,

Great numbers, and great package, but what year was the car, and what cats were used? It was my understanding that this claim:

NOTE: Under Federal EPA regulation, replacement of original catalytic converters is allowed only if the original converter(s) is missing, or the vehicle has more than 50,000 miles or is at least five years old and the need for a replacement has been established and documented, or a local inspection program has determined the existing converter is in need of replacement.

Maybe this doesn't apply? What year was the car that you passed with, and what cats was it running? I realize that some inspectors, and some states don't check these things, but if they cornered you, couldn't that spell disaster??
Old 02-18-2005, 02:06 PM
AN1313
Racer

Hi Lou,

I'm very impressed by your package. Is it possible to divulge the amount of overlap on the cam? Also, is it possible to have this emissions friendly cam installed and tuned elsewhere for those that are not located near your shop in TX?

Get notified of new replies

To Passed emmission test with 452rwhp/428rwtq LG Cam, Heads, LG Headers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Passed emmission test with 452rwhp/428rwtq LG Cam, Heads, LG Headers