Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chassis stiffening

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 11:15 AM
Bob25thTA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Rather than increasing the number of "bolts", you should have a few (4) interference fit shear pins. I attended a structural dynamics conference and there was a guy that had done testing of large skyscraper buildings. To make a long story short, any bolted structure that has clearance holes is very non-linear in its' response because (like a building with riveted steel beams) as the deflection occurs, the clearance in the holes is taken up progressively and it gets stiffer. No matter how many bolts you have, this will occur. I would try going to the next larger size in 4-6 holes and match drill them with zero clearance or even a slight interference fit.

I have a different question/concern about the Tunnel Plate Reinforcement, which I have done and like. As you mentioned the attach points are spot welded. My concern was after aggressive driving for a few years are we going to find the spot welds broken? Having a little experience in the aviation industry when you strengthen one area another area fatigues and fails.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:58 PM
leaftye
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like another place that may benefits from seam welding.

I was looking at the C6 Z06 frame. It has tubes welded from the top of the front door pillar down and out to nearly the shock mounting points. (edit--the C5 has this, I just checked) I believe that is there to reinforce the bolted in roof. Both mods could be made to the C5 as well. I rarely take my roof off, so it'd be a great mod for someone like me. My only concern is if the chassis flexing would be enough to crack the windshield.

Here's a picture of the bar:

Here are pictures of the bolted in roof:

They've also reinforced the joints where the frame rails meet the bumper bars. I can't find pics of this again to show.

They've also added reinforcements to the rear bulkhead:

Many of the ideas here were executed on the next Z06, and that's confirmation enough for me that those ideas were good. Keep 'em coming!

Eugene

Last edited by leaftye; 01-16-2005 at 02:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Chassis stiffening