C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CF drive shaft

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 06:02 PM
EatRice
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CF drive shaft

Anyone using the LG cabon fiber drive shaft? Is so how do you like it? Pro and cons? Was it worth the investement?
Old 12-16-2004, 07:07 PM
Z_fox
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have one installed on my Z06. To be honest I can't tell the difference between it and the stock DS but I have yet to dyno it since it was installed. The engine revs up and down quicker but some of this may be due to the Excedy twin disk clutch and flywheel.

YMMV

Old 12-16-2004, 08:28 PM
0opticZ06
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Z_fox
I have one installed on my Z06. To be honest I can't tell the difference between it and the stock DS but I have yet to dyno it since it was installed. The engine revs up and down quicker but some of this may be due to the Excedy twin disk clutch and flywheel.

YMMV

This might help:

The reason the rubber couplers break is because the drive shaft is whipping and the rubber couplers are being stressed in directions that they were never designed for.

The aluminum couplers vibrate because they can not absorb the "whipping" of the drive shaft so the vibration is magnafied.

Here are the true weights that I just weighed last night:

Stock = 5.26 pounds
Carbon = 4.56

Difference = .7 pounds

The benefit does not come from weight reduction but from it being stiff, straight and strong enough to resist the "jump rope" effect.

Each degree of deflection causes a more out of balance condition. A curved driveshaft is not balanced, and curved is what it is at high rpms
Old 12-16-2004, 10:01 PM
u luz
Racer

.7 lbs doesnt seem like its worth 1200.00 to me.....buy a lightweight flywheel and you will see a big difference...
Old 12-16-2004, 10:52 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by u luz
.7 lbs doesnt seem like its worth 1200.00 to me.....buy a lightweight flywheel and you will see a big difference...
Again, It is not the weight, it is the strength and stiffness. The lack of the stiffness is what causes the rubber couplers to fail.
It is like comparing a Chrome molly roll bar to a mild steel bar, or Stainless steel headers to mild steel. Or steel wheels to alum or Mag wheels.
There is value in the material because the driveshaft problems arise from the flex in the thin,light aluminum stock drive shaft.

And one more benefit is that the energy spent spinning a "wobbly" aluminum shaft can now be directed to the rear wheels.

Hope that helps.

Lou G
Old 12-17-2004, 09:27 AM
EatRice
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks guys. I think it is about time to order one.

Get notified of new replies

To CF drive shaft

Quick Reply: CF drive shaft