Sponsored by:

[Z06] Oil Cunsumption and Warrenty Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 01:03 AM
AF_Z06
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Oil Cunsumption and Warrenty Question

I am noticing that my car is consuming what I feel is a more oil than normal. I have to add a quart of oil every thousand miles.

My car is an 02 and I am aware of problems with the rings being designed to be looser on Z06’s and the had some problems that they supposedly fixed in the 02 model line at some point.

I took the car over to Wilmes Chevy in Altus Oklahoma where I am temporarily stationed in the military doing KC-135 pilot transition.

They changed my oil and are having me return in 1500 miles or if thelow oillevel light comes on whichever occurs first to see if I have “Excessive”oil consumption. According to the shop manager, GM says it is only considered excessive burn if the car burns more than 3 quarts every 3000 miles. My question to the experts on this forum are;

Is this guy full of **** because a quart of oil every 1000 miles seems to be excessive, in my mind. It seems to be getting progressively worse as time goes on. I used to have to put in a quart every 2000 miles or so now it seems like the interval is getting shorter. I neighbor owned a 2002 Z06 and had his rings replaced when his car was loosing 1quart every 1000 miles.

My last questions are about warranty and mechanics.

Altus Oklahoma is a hole in the ground out in the middle of no-where. I do not feel like their service department mechanics are experts in Vettes. If this dealer diagnoses the problem do they have to do the work or can I take the car somewhere else, where there is a reputable mechanic that knows Vettes, and dose the mechanic have to be a GM dealer employee or can there be private GM licensed mechanics to do warrenty work?

Does anyone know any solid reputable Vette mechanics to work on the car if I do have to have something major done like getting rings changed on the engine.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:48 AM
LPE385
Melting Slicks

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

TTT, interested my self.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:20 PM
RutRoe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes! There happens to be a "World Class Mechanic" in Wichits Ks. at Joe Self Chevrolet. No One touches my car except him and myself. His name is Jim Jacobs.

BTW, I like yer Vette
Old 12-02-2004, 05:13 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

On the '02's and up it's not your rings... it's a bad PCV seal under the intake manifold... change it out and your oil eating will go away.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:38 PM
Garibaldi
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AF_Z06
I am noticing that my car is consuming what I feel is a more oil than normal. I have to add a quart of oil every thousand miles.

<<<SNIP>>>
They changed my oil and are having me return in 1500 miles or if thelow oillevel light comes on whichever occurs first to see if I have “Excessive”oil consumption. According to the shop manager, GM says it is only considered excessive burn if the car burns more than 3 quarts every 3000 miles. My question to the experts on this forum are;
This is what GM has put in writing. If you are using an extended GMPP warranty anyone can fix. If you're using the original manufacturer's warranty, Chebby fixes it.

1999-2002: Service Bulletin: Higher Than Expected Oil Consumption

Subject: Higher Than Expected Oil Consumption (Replace Rings and Engine Valley Cover)
Source: Chevrolet Dealer Technical Service Bulletin
Number: 01-06-01-023A

Models: 1999-2001 Chevrolet Camaro, 1999-2002 Chevrolet Corvette, 1999-2001 Pontiac Firebird, with 5.7L Engine (VINs G, S -- RPOs LS1, LS6)

This bulletin is being revised to add model years for the Corvette, information on the LS6 engine and parts information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-023 (Section 6 - Engine).

Condition
Some owners may comment on higher than expected oil consumption. When checked, the oil consumption could be in the range of 400-600 miles per quart (700-1000 km/L).

On the LS6 engine only, the technician may find oil behind the engine throttle plate and in the intake manifold.

Cause
The cause for this condition may be an interaction between the piston rings and the cylinder bore in vehicles that are operated at higher RPMs -- typically manual transmission vehicles driven in a manner where the engine is frequently or consistently operating at greater than 3200 RPM.

On the LS6 engine only, the engine has a unique aluminum valley cover that has composite oil separating baffles and PCV plumbing incorporated. In some cases, the PCV baffle may not be properly sealed to the valley cover, causing oil to enter the PCV system.

Correction
On the LS6 engine only, replace the engine valley cover if oil is found behind the throttle body or in the intake manifold before replacing the piston ring. Refer to Engine Valley Cover Replacement in the Engine Mechanical - 5.7L subsection of the Corvette Service Manual.

A new set of piston rings is currently available through GMSPO. The new rings are part of a complete piston ring kit. Install only the number 2 compression ring and the oil expander ring from the piston ring kit. All other rings in the piston ring kit should be discarded. The original number 1 compression ring and the oil ring rails should be re-used in their original positions on the piston. All pistons should be used in the same cylinder bore.

Important
Do not dress or hone the cylinder bore. Nothing should be done to change the bore finish for this condition. Changing the bore finish may aggravate the condition.

Refer to the Unit Repair Manual for appropriate ring removal and replacement procedure.

The number 1 compression ring and the upper and lower oil expander rails are re-used because they are already broken in for the bore that they are in. The new number 2 compression ring is made with a very sharp edge that will break in quickly.

Changing only the piston rings noted, with no change in driving style, should change oil consumption to an acceptable level. Changes in driving style that reduce the amount of time spent at higher RPMs will also positively affect oil consumption.

In addition to the standard size piston ring kit listed below, a 0.25 mm oversized piston ring kit is available. The oversized piston ring kit should only be used in those rare instances where the cylinder bore size has been machined larger to accommodate the 0.25 mm oversized piston rings.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Qty

Valley Cover

Ring Kit, Piston

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

J0250

Manifold or Gasket Intake - Replace Manifold

Use Published Labor Operation Time

J1307

Piston, Rod and/or Rings -- Replace, Both Banks

Use Published Labor Time

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:47 AM
AF_Z06
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats perfect. Thanks for all the Info. That will give me a leg up on this situation.

Originally Posted by RutRoe
Yes! There happens to be a "World Class Mechanic" in Wichits Ks. at Joe Self Chevrolet. No One touches my car except him and myself. His name is Jim Jacobs.

BTW, I like yer Vette
Thanks

Witchita,thats perfect its an an hour and half away from Enid OK where I normally store the car until I move to Grand Forks. I will call Joe Self Chevy tomorrow and see if I can talk to Jim Jacobs.

Thanks for the info

Shaun
Old 12-03-2004, 04:52 PM
SilverBulletZ06
Le Mans Master

Anyone know how much a new PCV seal costs?
Old 12-03-2004, 07:34 PM
bud miller
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

there is a post with pic's on our sister site ....there is a TSB on valley cover gasket and breathers-i had done on my 01-consumption was 800mi/ qt went up to 1500-1800/qt which i can live with and ditto above posts.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:52 AM
SANMAN1
Racer

Southpointe in Tulsa is also a great shop. Good Corvette mechanic and Mod friendly.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:24 PM
JuiceZ06
Advanced

I've never heard of '02's and newer having oil consumption problems like that. i have a '01 and know that that yr has the oil consumption problem due to the rings. Supposedly that problem was fixed on the '02's and newer. I'd have to say a quart every 1000 mi. is excessive. I only put a quart and a half in between every oil change, which is usually 3-4000 mi. Keep an eye on your oil levels. Good Luck.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:49 PM
maticam
Racer

I have 01 had re-rings done and valley pan done and use amsoil oil and I go from oil change to oil change which is 4000 miles and I don't add any oil>>> the work was done by Tom Jumper Chev in Atlanta Ga, they do great work>>>
Old 12-06-2004, 08:34 PM
skip89
Melting Slicks

I have a 04Z, first oil change I did at 1200 miles, just put 3,000 miles on it and the oil is right where it started. I broke it in easy for the most part for the first 500 miles. Now it feels like its getting stronger. I feel pretty happy with it, but then my 98 cp never used a drop either. Good luck on your fix.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:27 PM
Texasvet94
5th Gear

are these oil consumption problems only on ZO6?
Old 12-22-2004, 12:05 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by Texasvet94
are these oil consumption problems only on ZO6?
No... all 2001 LS1/LS6 motors have the lower tension rings which are the root cause of the oil consumption.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Cunsumption and Warrenty Question

Quick Reply: [Z06] Oil Cunsumption and Warrenty Question