C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Delivery pics / first 10 days review!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 06:26 PM
skfurr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Delivery pics / first 10 days review!

Edited 22:43 EST to insert correct links for pictures, sorry.

Hello!

My name is Stephen, my wife Rhonda and I took delivery of our 2005 Coupe on November 8th. We are from North Carolina, so we did the museum delivery option. The order was placed back in January with Rick Daniel at Les Stanford. Rick is the best! I had checked with my local dealer here and nobody could guarantee me a 2005 at all; they all had deposits on every car they were allocated! Rick is great to work with, his website is top notch and he knows his stuff! {gratuitous plug off}

We flew Delta from Raleigh to Nashville (through Atlanta) at the cheap rate of $130 each one-way. We then rented a limo in Nashville for the trip to Bowling Green. It didn't cost much more than a rental car and hey, you only live once!

Once in BG, we checked in at the Country Hearth. This is a small motel and while clean, isn't a luxury hotel. The advantage was that we were now 100 yards from the museum. Good thing since we were on foot at this point!

Gary at the museum is great! He did an excellent job of setting everything up and planning the surprise... see, the Corvette was a surprise birthday present for my wife! ;-) I thought I had a plan here: I had a LS1 powered Trans Am before and Rhonda refused to even ride in it. She said it was too noisy, too rough riding, too rattley. I hadn't even seen a C6 in person myself, but I was sure she would say "nice car, maybe I'll ride in it every once in a while."

Boy was I wrong. I got to drive it from the back of the museum to the front door after we took delivery. The next 700 miles were all hers. She looked me dead in the eye the next day and said "So when are you gonna get YOUR Corvette." My plan backfired on me!

Thankfully, we have a wonderful relationship and share lots of common interests. It's looking like if I can make the numbers work that a 2006 will be in my future!

Now to the car: We got a Lemans Blue coupe, Steel Grey interior, MN6, 1SB, F55, Nav, Onstar, XM and Polished Wheels. The only option I couldn't get was the C2L dual roof package (due to the constraint.)

The deposit was placed Jan 2, first TPW was 9-13, car was finally built on 10-19 and we took delivery at the museum on 11-8. Vin number 6128. Wasn't part of the six speed issue and the brake line campaign doesn't show as necessary either; I assume it was fixed during assembly or they changed the routing so that it wasn't an issue to begin with.

The paint is clean and bright. The blue is incredible. Some orange peel on the hood and top, a bit worse on the sides. Still, better than I had expected and better than every other car I've had besides my 94 Infiniti Q45 (long since gone.)

The polished wheels are a little disappointing. The "high polished" wheel option on my 2000 Grand Prix GTP is brighter. If I had it to do all over again, I'd probably go the chrome exchange route and save some money over the factory polished option. It doesn't look BAD, it just doesn't look like $1295 worth.

The ride is nothing short of AMAZING. I did not expect the car to be sooooo buttery smooth on the road. I was really dreading freeway expansion joints and the typical potholes we get in the area. A big pothole is still a jolt, but anything short of that is just soaked up. Best way I can explain it: you hear that your tires rolled over something, but you don't "feel" it as a bump.

The sport setting on the F55 makes a noticable difference in the ride. Those aforementioned bumps become more noticable, the steering seems to get sharper and the body roll seems more tightly controlled. I don't trust my own senses sometimes, especially with PRSEASIX's issues with his F55. So I had the wife do the blind test where I switched the control from tour to sport secretly while she was driving. Even with Interstate driving, it was never more than a couple of minutes before she piped up and said "did you put it on sport again?" It is not a placebo effect. It truly does make a NOTICABLE difference in ride quality. Whether the sport mode's better handling is useful on anything short of a racetrack is somewhat debatable. Yeah, if you want to FEEL more of the road, it works as advertised. Maybe I'm just getting old (34), but even on tour mode I find the handling is sharp and the car just goes where you want it to. More than any other car I've ever had, the steering seems to be directly connected to your brain! You think, the car moves.

Skip shift is a pain. Eliminator installed at wife's request. Too often, you end up in that 12-19 MPH range while taking it easy and you get a forced shift from 1->4. You MUST go to four when it calls for this, and only after completing the shift into fourth can you shift back to second. It's so much more convenient to drive with that infernal logic disabled.

The electric door release has one slight problem: the door hinge springs aren't "springy" enough to clear the latch every time. If you press the button on the door, but don't follow through by pushing the door outwards you can sometimes catch the door latch. So the window has indexed down and the door has moved out about 1/4 inch, but isn't yet free and clear to open. Same deal with the outside door button: if you just "push" it with your fingers but don't PULL the door away from the car you can sometimes get it caught on the first catch. A simple spring to push the door away from the car about an inch would solve this.

Heads up display is great! Very readable in all lighting conditions and nicely configurable. Another gotcha: the navigation instructions only display in street mode. In street mode, you can't choose an ancilliary guage (coolant temp, etc.) So there's no way to show speed, tach, coolant temp AND have the Nav interject with directions. Also, a fuel gauge as a "bar graph" in the Nav would have been an nice option. Alas, coolant temp, oil pressure and oil temp are the only choices.

The way that the speed display in the HUD is "zoomed" in and out when you change modes or when the Nav shows directions is a neat touch. They could have simply "switched screens" on the HUD, but they wrote a transition effect into it when it changes. Nice!

I also am very impressed with the level of integration between what are obviously seperate devices in the entertainment/electronics suite. When Onstar is activated to say, place a call, the Nav replaces the FM/XM/CD icon with one of a telephone and the volume of the stereo is attenuated. Also, the Onstar displays the number dialed and remaining minutes on your account on the DIC display. NICE!

The Nav system is WAY WAY too complex to operate. I read the Nav manual the first night and found it to be worthless. Perhaps as a reference WHILE sitting in the car and operating the system, but as a "training aid" it's garbage. I just had to sit in the car and play with stuff for about six hours to figure out how to operate the Nav system efficiently.

I found an answer to one question I had been wondering about for months: you CAN change your routing WHILE DRIVING. You can choose a previous destination, one of your five "preset" destinations (which you preset while stopped of course), or your HOME destination. You CANNOT enter an address or choose a point of interest from a list while moving. The emergency brake is no help; the Nav tells if you are moving based on the speed sensor input and/or GPS signal.

What you can also do if say you're cruising on the Interstate and want to find a restaurant to eat at: zoom down to 1/2 mile size, touch the "split screen" soft button on the Nav screen and choose full screen mode. Touch the POI button, and a "Quick POI" screen comes up. Choose what you want to find from the limited list of POI types (restaurant, gas, hospital, etc.) and those types of POIs will show up on the map as icons wherever they are located. The icon types are really cool: McDonalds is the golden arches, Wendy's, Subway, all show up as their company logo. Same thing with gas stations.

So then you touch the icon of the place you want to go. If it's a generic "knife and fork" icon, you can read the name of the restaurant on the top of the screen. If multiple icons are in the same place, the NEXT button will cycle through all of the POI's in that spot.

When you have selected the place you want to go, you can click the red bullseye icon on the bottom of the screen to select it as a "final destination" or the red diamond icon to choose it as a "waypoint." Click CALCULATE and the Nav will reroute you to the new POI. If you add it as a waypoint, then after you get to the restaurant for example it will continue guidance to your original destination. Again, this is all possible while moving! My biggest "pre-delivery" complaint was that the Nav system was going to be locked down while underway and that a passenger wouldn't be able to find a gas station or a restaurant without the driver coming to a complete stop. Turns out this isn't true after all!

Yes, the Nav works and there is some strange logic to it, but I have to think that the Nav could have been simpler to use... JMHO. My Garmin Streetpilot III is much simpler. Hertz Neverlost is much simpler.

The Nav mapping seems good. A couple of times it took me around the block to get to somewhere where I could have turned directly in. My home address was instantly recognized, it knew which side of the street my house was on, and when I drove the 150 feet down my driveway it announced "You have arrived" just outside my garage. Sweet!

Interior quality is good. Easily up to the level of the import competition in the general price range (350Z, RX-8, G35 coupe.) A notch down from the M3, several notches down from the 997. Totally acceptable and better than ALL other GM vehicles I've owned. I think the biggest difference in quality compared the the C5's I've seen is due to the color contrast in the dash and door panels. I've got the grey interior and the black upper/grey lower panels look really nice. I think that's the biggest visual change from the all black look last year. The materials are still more plasticky than they could be, but not anymore so than other cars. The inside door handles feel more plastic than I'd like. I would have expected them to be leather wrapped like the steering wheel / shifter.

The hatch pulldown doesn't catch when dropping the hatch with the windows all the way up. Just drop it and press down slightly and it grabs the latch and pulls it the rest of the way shut. Works fine to me. If the intent was to have the hatch close on its own from dropping it then it doesn't work. Just means that you're gonna get fingerprints on the decklid everytime you close the hatch unless you open a door or roll down a window.

The power is truly amazing. It's the most powerful car I've ever driven. The car will accelerate from 750 RPM in 6th gear without lugging. Incredible. The six speed is truly smooth and precise. I've found that the action has smoothed out considerably in just 900 miles. All of the "notchy-ness" is gone and the shifter just "snicks" into gear without a second thought.

I went to the dealer on Tuesday and had the state safety inspection done and sticker applied. While I was there, I went ahead and had the oil changed at 800 miles. Totally unnecessary yes, but probably won't hurt. I just figured the "break-in" metal shavings would be better off out of the engine...

Total gas mileage on the highway trip back from BG to North Carolina averaged 31 MPG!!! Admittedly, the wife kept us in the 55 - 65 MPH range on the trip home (trying to observe the break-in recommendations.) The last 250 miles have averaged 23 MPG under my admittedly heavy foot in around town stop and go traffic. I'm just amazed that this big engine can make such good gas mileage!!!

I was about to post this and call it a 10/10 car. It got to be lunch time here so I went to get a bite to eat. On the way back to the office today, with 942 miles on the odo, the crankshaft pulley loosened up enough to eat the serpentine belt. What is this, #5 on the forum with this failure?!? I mentioned to the service advisor to ask about the "diamond embedded friction spacer." Hopefully this will be an easy fix. Unfortunately the dealer doesn't have the belt in stock anyway, so it'll be at least a day before they have it fixed.

Here's some pics from the delivery...

Out front of the museum:

Rhonda's birthday surprise:

The museum team and me:

Our name in lights at the plant:

I've since added the color matched door handles, third brake light surround and the Lloyd's embroidered floor mats and cargo area mat. The door handles and brake light surround are nice touches and are a perfect match. The Lloyd's mats are much better than I was expecting; early reports were that they didn't match the ebony carpeting very well. I think they are very very close and don't look out of place at all. Perhaps they fixed their quality control. Only complaint is that the plastic "retainers" on the floor mats to keep them in place don't seem to stay on very well. I've had to snap them back on their studs twice now.

Hope this was helpful... To those of you still waiting: it's worth every minute!

Stephen

Last edited by skfurr; 11-18-2004 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Added correct links to pictures
Old 11-18-2004, 07:42 PM
TRAIL BOSS
Drifting

Great write up. It looks like you've got that Nav system figured out! It is a pain figuring it out but worth it. I had advantage, as had already had experience with my wife's Caddy SRX.

Enjoy the journey!!!
Old 11-18-2004, 07:54 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Very thorough report. Some have had more success with the hatch closing by using the hatch pull-down handle near the bottom of the hatch, on the right side if you're facing toward the front of the car. Hope the repair for the crankshaft pulley doesn't take too long.

Old 11-18-2004, 08:03 PM
_crazi4speed_
Instructor

now u have got me really excited..have to, have to pick a color combo by this week and put the order in..cant wait..
Old 11-18-2004, 10:10 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Nice report.

BTW, is that a BMW K1200? I just got back into bikes after a 17 year leave - bought a Honda ST1300.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:17 PM
NextOne
Melting Slicks

Received 1,046 Likes on 645 Posts

If you see me driving around Raleigh or Durham in my C6, make sure you wave!
Old 11-18-2004, 11:06 PM
skfurr
Racer

Originally Posted by jschindler
Nice report.

BTW, is that a BMW K1200? I just got back into bikes after a 17 year leave - bought a Honda ST1300.
Actually, it's a 1993 Yamaha GTS1000. It's claim to fame was a front swing-arm suspension, massive single front disc rotor (radially ventilated!), fuel injection and ABS. Yamaha's answer to the BMW back then... unfortunately, they priced it with the BMW too: $13,995. Picked mine up two years later, still sitting on the showroom floor reduced all the way to $8k. Seems nobody wanted to pay BMW pricing for a mere Yamaha. :-) I love the bike!

Stephen
Old 11-18-2004, 11:08 PM
skfurr
Racer

Originally Posted by NextOne
If you see me driving around Raleigh or Durham in my C6, make sure you wave!
Will definately do. I live in the NC-50 North / Creedmoor Road area north of I-540. Work in RTP. Be neat if we could catch up for lunch some day!

Stephen

Last edited by skfurr; 11-19-2004 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:18 AM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18-'19'-20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

looks like the wife is enjoying her new ride.. great write up and hopefully they'll get it fixed asap
Old 11-19-2004, 08:29 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Excellent report. I'm a second year guy so I'm very much interested in what owners of the C6 have to say NOW. I figure two things will happen with the C6. Either GM will leave the C6 alone as they did with the C5 and not really address any of the little issues, or they will be monitoring on-line forums and addressing some of the small items that won't cost much but will elimante small points of annoyance.

Since my wife really took a shine to the C6 (I've owned two C4's and two C5's which she has never shown any interest in) the C6 is the first vette we'll be buying as a family. I want it to be perfect. I hope GM makes continuious improvements year to year.

Tom
Old 11-19-2004, 08:32 AM
RIC96
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Old 11-19-2004, 08:51 AM
tT-REXXX
Drifting

Default scary

All right you guy's are scaring me now .New owner said major belt went south and you act like it's no big deal(#5) I don't know what the odds are in the real ("non vette") world,but one in a million comes to mind.I can understand a car with 50,000 plus miles under it's belt.what would happen if this happened at 110 mph.(like trusting a runflat after a nail plug repair) This post just moved my buy date back by at least a year. Need to see if there is a recall or more cases show up.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:12 AM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's wishing your wife may miles of smile in her new C6.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:40 AM
skfurr
Racer

Originally Posted by tT-REXXX
All right you guy's are scaring me now .New owner said major belt went south and you act like it's no big deal(#5) I don't know what the odds are in the real ("non vette") world,but one in a million comes to mind.I can understand a car with 50,000 plus miles under it's belt.what would happen if this happened at 110 mph.(like trusting a runflat after a nail plug repair) This post just moved my buy date back by at least a year. Need to see if there is a recall or more cases show up.
Yeah, it's somewhat disconcerting that 10 days and 942 miles I'm already in for a hard failure. Thankfully, the symptoms I got were the same as everyone else here: the A/C got warm, flapping noise from under the hood (belt shreds flopping around.) When I stopped to check, the belt was about half gone. I turned off the A/C, rode the 10 miles from the office to the dealership in sixth (to keep the revs down) and when I arrived at the dealer the belt was still about half there.

Had this happened out on the highway, it could have been worse. I know that the engine will run without the water pump in "reduced performance mode" but eventually the battery would be dead since the alternator wouldn't be turning.

It'd be easy to get really irate, but what good would it do? These things happen and the dealer is being very easy to deal with. Within a half-hour, they had me back on the road in 2005 Impala.

As far as the odds, I'm beginning to think this is a known, systemic problem with the Corvette team at GM.

1) Our admittedly small cross section of owners has reported at least 5 of these failures. If you assume that we on the forum represent say 10% of the total 2005 ownership (I think that's on the high side) then 5 out of (10% of 5000) or 500 cars is nearly a 1% failure rate. Enough that I wouldn't blame it on a fluke...

2) They all occured very early in the life of the car (300-1000 miles or so.)

3) GM has a special "diamond embedded friction spacer" to fix the problem.

All adds up to a real issue in my mind, like the 6-speed noise problem and the rear brake line recall. Now, does anybody know the TSB number for the crank pulley problem?

Stephen

Last edited by skfurr; 11-19-2004 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:47 AM
skfurr
Racer

Originally Posted by Corvette Junkie
Here's wishing your wife may miles of smile in her new C6.
Thanks everyone for the nice words! Even with the delays in production, the early failure of the belt and the handful of small "would have done differently if I had designed it" things, I still think it's the best car in the world. It is a bargain for the level of performance you get.

"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

Stephen
Old 11-19-2004, 09:58 AM
Hurricane

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

Great review!
Old 11-19-2004, 10:05 AM
nascosta
Pro

Great write up.
Wow, I am surprised that you ordered your car in January and you are just picking it up now. Seems like a long wait for a dealer with a large allocation.

I withdrew my order with Rick Daniel about a month after I placed it because the list of people ahead of me seemed endless. I ended up getting it in about 45 days from a dealer in Irvine.

Were there constraints on your order?

Enjoy your new ride!

Get notified of new replies

To Delivery pics / first 10 days review!

Old 11-19-2004, 10:06 AM
Lazerwolfe
Race Director

Nice pics.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:42 AM
skfurr
Racer

Originally Posted by nascosta
Great write up.
Wow, I am surprised that you ordered your car in January and you are just picking it up now. Seems like a long wait for a dealer with a large allocation.

I withdrew my order with Rick Daniel about a month after I placed it because the list of people ahead of me seemed endless. I ended up getting it in about 45 days from a dealer in Irvine.

Were there constraints on your order?

Enjoy your new ride!
I was #82 on Rick's list. The LeMans Blue I think caused a delay. I am not sure why it slipped so many times.

First TPW I got was back in August. Car was supposed to be built during the week of 9-13. Status code was 3100.

Around the end of August, the date slipped to 9-20.

Then first week of September it slipped to 9-27, still code 3100.

A week later, it slipped to 10-4.

Then 10-18, still code 3100.

Car was started on 10-18, finished 10-19. Never did see the code go to 3800.

Stephen
Old 11-19-2004, 11:18 AM
docrings1
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
C6 FAQ Master

Great NAV write-up... I put it in the FAQ.

Doc Rings
"C6 FAQ Master"

Sorry to hear about your belt failure...sounds like one of my first mods will be installing the diamond imbedded spacer... fun project and that way I won't be stranded while cruising long distance away from home...

Anybody know the part number for this spacer?

Quick Reply: Delivery pics / first 10 days review!