C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My LMB was a detailer's disaster at delivery, but it is fixed and Zaino'd

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 02:11 AM
Grzldvt
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My LMB was a detailer's disaster at delivery, but it is fixed and Zaino'd

First, my car was at the very front of the truck, so it was absolutely a mess. There were bug splats all over the front bumper, even after the dealer had scrubbed it.

I finally got a chance to Zaino(No petroleum distillates in Zaino, as many have asked) my C6, and put this together to outline the steps involved, and what I found. There also seems to be several posts describing their methods with a ton of questions. Since mine was probably the worst of anyone’s delivery, this might be helpful for someone.

It is clearly stated you must not use products with petroleum distillates in it, so I was very careful in my selection of cleaners. I have not described everything I did, since I had a big mess on my hands, that hopefully 99% of you would never see.

I used a Citrus based tar and Bug Remover on the bumper. Followed the directions to the letter and it helped, but the stuff was still there. I reapplied and let it soak for 3 times as long as they stated, and it really cleaned every thing. Still had to take the PC to it, with mild abrasive, to get rid of everything.

Next I washed the car with Dawn, yes there are other paint cleaners out there, but I have never had a problem with it and it is the only time it gets washed with Dawn. It is true the car has never seen wax, but it has seen road film, grease and who knows what else during the trek across the country.

During the wash I discovered quite a bit of adhesive from the plastic that was nicely camouflaged on several parts of the hood, top and sides. The adhesive gave the paint a scuffed dull look. As I washed the car and gave it a thorough inspection, I found several very tiny bits of the plastic cover still stuck on the car. Once I discovered a couple of pieces, I was eye level all over the car inspecting every inch at different angles to locate all the plastic bits. I did not want the clay bar to dislodge a piece of plastic and scratch the paint, or seal it in with polish. Your “analness” may vary
I soaked the bits of plastic with isopropyl alcohol, and used a microfiber towel, to gently pick at the plastic. Once I broke it free, it skated along the alcohol mix, and I could pick it up without any damage to the paint. I then rinsed the area with water to remove the alcohol

To remove the adhesive, I used a 50/50 mix of Alcohol and water, and gave it another careful wash and a very thorough rinse and dry. It worked like a charm, all the adhesive was gone. Again, they are many other substitutes for alcohol; just make sure they do not contain petroleum distillates.

Then I clayed the car(this gets the paint flat and creates the maximum shine), using a mix of Zaino Car Wash, and water. Use a ˝ cap of car wash to 12-16 ozs of water. Fill the bottle with water first, and then add the car wash.
As stated in another post, the Clay bar must float on a surface of soapy water, so make sure you keep the area you are claying wet, using light pressure on the bar. I then rinsed the area I clayed and moved on to the next section. The Clay Bar did show some dirt, so it was worth it.

Once I finished claying, I washed with a strong mix of Z-7 Car Wash. That removes any claying residue and makes the paint surface a bit smoother, so the polish will spread better. Dry the car, seems obvious, but the question has been asked.

I found that slightly less than 1 oz of Z-5 or Z-2 will give me 2 coats, with a small amount left over.
Just to state it: Apply Z-5 or Z-2, VERY THIN, let it dry, wipe off.
I followed each coat with Z-6. I noticed, I was getting some static in the towels, towards the end of the polish removal step, and Z-6 helped remove static.
Static on the paint will attract dust.
As soon as I get some time and daylight I wil get some pics up.
I took some in the garage, but the flash reflection was so great the pictures are useless
Hope this helps someone.
Here is a couple of pics. They don't do the real look justice, so when I get some daylight I will get better shots.

Last edited by Grzldvt; 11-02-2004 at 02:33 AM.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:57 AM
Lazerwolfe
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post more!
Old 11-02-2004, 03:38 AM
coolcat
Race Director

What are those stickers on the drivers side window and on passenger side windshield? I don't recall seeing those on my C6 before PDI.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:03 AM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

Default What about this part.

Hi. The brown truck delivered my Zaino kit yesterday. So a person has to mix the drops of the activator in the 2 oz little container? So am I correct;
-Wash car.
-Z 2 (w/accelerator).
-Z 5 (w/accelerator).
-Z 6 any old time you like.
The accelerator with both 2 and 5? Thanks.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:35 AM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All I can say is WOW! Nice shine. good job!

Last edited by jabez; 11-04-2004 at 01:26 AM.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:51 AM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Looking sharp. I love the Lemans blue color.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:57 AM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A job well done.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:13 AM
curvesman
Safety Car

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified 2020

Looks great best of luck!
Old 11-02-2004, 09:50 AM
Grzldvt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by coolcat
What are those stickers on the drivers side window and on passenger side windshield? I don't recall seeing those on my C6 before PDI.
It is a temporary sticker, with the VIN and the dealers name on it. Sort of a psuedo license plate until the real plates come in.
Originally Posted by weasel
Hi. The brown truck delivered my Zaino kit yesterday. So a person has to mix the drops of the activator in the 2 oz little container? So am I correct;
-Wash car.
-Z 2 (w/accelerator).
-Z 5 (w/accelerator).
-Z 6 any old time you like.
The accelerator with both 2 and 5? Thanks.
Yes, that is correct to a point. One small thing, if you are only putting a single coat of Z-2 or Z-5 over an existing coat, you do not have to use ZFX. It is highly recommended as the finish has a brighter shine.
Second thing I have noticed using ZFX, the shine is great when you are done, I think it improves over the next 12 hours.
I noticed it the first time I used it. The finish was OK, but was really missing the kick it had before I put the latest coat on.
The next morning when I looked at the car, the kick was back and then some. Maybe it was the difference between afternoon light and early morning light, but there was a definite difference.
Now, if I am putting the car in a show, the last coat goes on the day before and I Z-6 only at the show.

It looks like today is nice and sunny so I can get more pics. While I like the Blue/Gray on the 98, I think I like this a bit more because the contrast is greater.
I personally like my cars with major interior/exterior color differences. I have received a ton of compliments on the color.
I have pics of the bumper before I started working on it, but trust me it is not for the faint of heart. There were bug splats the size of .50 pieces all over the place, and so dried an encrusted I really thought the clear coat was badly etched. I told the dealer in my original discussion I did not want them to touch the car, but they told me it was so bad, there was no way they would let me see it until they cleaned it up.

ANOTHER TIP
The dealer created swirls in the paint and Z-5 did a great job of making them go away. I discovered one of my towels used for Z-6 had something in it( and I am **** about keeping my towels in perfect shape), so I ended recreating some. This was a brand new, freshly washed DF Microfiber towel. I picked another one from the same wash, but used several times already, CD tested it and it was fine. New DF towels may need to be washed a couple of times before they are ready for use. I will wash it again and see what happens. These are incredible towels so this surprised me. No doubt user error
Make sure your towels are 100% clean and washed before you use them.
With a car this dark, I am going to CD test each towel before I use it.

Last edited by Grzldvt; 11-02-2004 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:02 AM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you cram two Vettes in a one car garage?

Mike
Old 11-02-2004, 10:11 AM
Grzldvt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mikeyc6
Did you cram two Vettes in a one car garage?

Mike
No, it is a 2 car garage with 1 foot on either side of the door. It is very tight, until I can build a storage room. I have a workbench and cabinets along the left side of the garage that take up door opening space. The garage is long, just not wide.
For the moment I have to move the C6 in order to get at the C5. I tried to convince the wife we needed to move to a place that has a 4000 sq ft garage, and a 1400 sq ft home(less housecleaning that way) but so far it hasn't worked. She told me to go live in the C6

Last edited by Grzldvt; 11-02-2004 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:08 PM
Shahul X
Racer

Originally Posted by Lazerwolfe
Post more!

-shu
Old 11-02-2004, 12:09 PM
c6_infatuation
Advanced

Looks beautiful. .. Looking forward to seeing some daylight shots!
Old 11-02-2004, 12:20 PM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

Dear Lord that color is gorgeous.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:15 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry for all the problems, Steve - glad you got it fixed up. We will be providing some feedback to BG regarding the lack of protection to the front of the car.

Pics!
Old 11-02-2004, 05:50 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Grzldvt
First, my car was at the very front of the truck, so it was absolutely a mess. There were bug splats all over the front bumper, even after the dealer had scrubbed it.

I finally got a chance to Zaino(No petroleum distillates in Zaino, as many have asked) my C6, and put this together to outline the steps involved, and what I found. There also seems to be several posts describing their methods with a ton of questions. Since mine was probably the worst of anyone’s delivery, this might be helpful for someone.

It is clearly stated you must not use products with petroleum distillates in it, so I was very careful in my selection of cleaners. I have not described everything I did, since I had a big mess on my hands, that hopefully 99% of you would never see.

I used a Citrus based tar and Bug Remover on the bumper. Followed the directions to the letter and it helped, but the stuff was still there. I reapplied and let it soak for 3 times as long as they stated, and it really cleaned every thing. Still had to take the PC to it, with mild abrasive, to get rid of everything.

Next I washed the car with Dawn, yes there are other paint cleaners out there, but I have never had a problem with it and it is the only time it gets washed with Dawn. It is true the car has never seen wax, but it has seen road film, grease and who knows what else during the trek across the country.

During the wash I discovered quite a bit of adhesive from the plastic that was nicely camouflaged on several parts of the hood, top and sides. The adhesive gave the paint a scuffed dull look. As I washed the car and gave it a thorough inspection, I found several very tiny bits of the plastic cover still stuck on the car. Once I discovered a couple of pieces, I was eye level all over the car inspecting every inch at different angles to locate all the plastic bits. I did not want the clay bar to dislodge a piece of plastic and scratch the paint, or seal it in with polish. Your “analness” may vary
I soaked the bits of plastic with isopropyl alcohol, and used a microfiber towel, to gently pick at the plastic. Once I broke it free, it skated along the alcohol mix, and I could pick it up without any damage to the paint. I then rinsed the area with water to remove the alcohol

To remove the adhesive, I used a 50/50 mix of Alcohol and water, and gave it another careful wash and a very thorough rinse and dry. It worked like a charm, all the adhesive was gone. Again, they are many other substitutes for alcohol; just make sure they do not contain petroleum distillates.

Then I clayed the car(this gets the paint flat and creates the maximum shine), using a mix of Zaino Car Wash, and water. Use a ˝ cap of car wash to 12-16 ozs of water. Fill the bottle with water first, and then add the car wash.
As stated in another post, the Clay bar must float on a surface of soapy water, so make sure you keep the area you are claying wet, using light pressure on the bar. I then rinsed the area I clayed and moved on to the next section. The Clay Bar did show some dirt, so it was worth it.

Once I finished claying, I washed with a strong mix of Z-7 Car Wash. That removes any claying residue and makes the paint surface a bit smoother, so the polish will spread better. Dry the car, seems obvious, but the question has been asked.

I found that slightly less than 1 oz of Z-5 or Z-2 will give me 2 coats, with a small amount left over.
Just to state it: Apply Z-5 or Z-2, VERY THIN, let it dry, wipe off.
I followed each coat with Z-6. I noticed, I was getting some static in the towels, towards the end of the polish removal step, and Z-6 helped remove static.
Static on the paint will attract dust.
As soon as I get some time and daylight I wil get some pics up.
I took some in the garage, but the flash reflection was so great the pictures are useless
Hope this helps someone.
Here is a couple of pics. They don't do the real look justice, so when I get some daylight I will get better shots.

Thank you for the information it will be very useful when the Zaino process starts. Also you can claybar the insects off too.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:10 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Very good write up. Sorry to hear the dealer added his personal touch F'IN SWIRL MARKS ! Another reminder to tell them not to TOUCH it !! The Vettenet should include that in their correspondence w/ B.G. The bad part is that swirl marks can be avoided but many dealers refuse to take the extra care and time required to prevent them

Get notified of new replies

To My LMB was a detailer's disaster at delivery, but it is fixed and Zaino'd

Old 11-02-2004, 10:08 PM
LDT
Intermediate

Default Why

Nice Job.
Why doesn't GM provide protection for C6s (and other cars) during shipping? It would not cost much to use plastic film protection.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:54 PM
Grzldvt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LS WON
Thank you for the information it will be very useful when the Zaino process starts. Also you can claybar the insects off too.
Clay bar would not even come close to removing these, heck even a mild abrasive was not able to budge them.
You have to be a bit careful when doing dead bug splats. make sure you have cleaned off as much as possible. Chunks of bug can get embedded in the clay bar and create swirls.
It can be done, just be very careful.

Vettenet.ca... Glad to hear information is getting back to them.

Unfortunately I got tied up at work, in non stop meetings, and did not get a chance to take daylight pics.

Last edited by Grzldvt; 11-03-2004 at 01:03 AM.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:11 AM
Noggles
Team Owner

Location: Adventure, excitement ... a Jedi craves not these things.
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by LDT
Nice Job.
Why doesn't GM provide protection for C6s (and other cars) during shipping? It would not cost much to use plastic film protection.

Mainly because GM doesn't care a whit about their customer base satisfaction surveys that don't speak glowingly about them, and largely ignores their alternatively-filed valid complaints.

Quick Reply: My LMB was a detailer's disaster at delivery, but it is fixed and Zaino'd