C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent non-working radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 02:05 AM
bramwellt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry to revive this thread...

Originally Posted by jabez
Sorry for the confusion. It is the seat belt warning I was refering to.
Sorry to revive this thread, but this is the only problem I'm having with my C6, and it's driving me crazy. Once out of about every 10 starts or so, I get into my car, and I get no "Fasten your seatbelt chimes" and I know I'm in for the bug. I start my car, and no audio. I have to shut the car off, go through the shutdown prodcedure completely and re-start the car in order to get it to work. Does anyone know the cause of this yet? Is there a service bulletin on this at all? I have the 6 disc in-dash changer, and it does it to me with both fobs, after sitting idle for 24 hour or 24 minutes. It's totally random, and makes no sense as to what triggers it.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:33 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,220 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by bramwellt
Sorry to revive this thread, but this is the only problem I'm having with my C6, and it's driving me crazy. Once out of about every 10 starts or so, I get into my car, and I get no "Fasten your seatbelt chimes" and I know I'm in for the bug. I start my car, and no audio. I have to shut the car off, go through the shutdown prodcedure completely and re-start the car in order to get it to work. Does anyone know the cause of this yet? Is there a service bulletin on this at all? I have the 6 disc in-dash changer, and it does it to me with both fobs, after sitting idle for 24 hour or 24 minutes. It's totally random, and makes no sense as to what triggers it.
I spoke to the Vette tech at my dealership about this. He said other GM vehicles have also had this problem and it is a software glitch in the radio. He didn't think replacing the head unit would do anything until a fix is ready. His feeling was that a software upgrade would be available soon, but he didn't know when.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:57 AM
RRGC
Heel & Toe

Dealer said replacement radio in the mix for NAV/XM system. My C6 radio works but sounds like a shortwave radio. Onstar sounds like OuterStar. Still looking for a dealer that can fix it....all have a new idea of whats wrong. No new radios avaiable from parts dept.....back order. Going to listen to shortwave and wait for replacement radio.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:35 AM
SSR
Racer

I also have similar problem with my unit. I don't have NAV and have approximately 1700 miles and change. It has happened more than a few times now. I would start my car and attempt to turn the radio on (in cold condition and i've had my car now for 2 months) and nothing would come on. Like others, i had to restart the car OR press on the **** a couple of times until it would come on.

On an unrelate note, my temperture gauge (sp?) would sometimes not work as well (the temp reading would be stuck from the previous night/day).

Haven't had my car in for those problems (along with other few minor things) yet because i'm having trouble parting w/ the car since the problem(s) are not earth shattering.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:44 PM
Y2K+1 Vette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just had this problem the other day. Got in, started the car and no radio or CD. Next morning when started it up - no problem. Very odd.

Don't have Nav - just 6 CD changer.

If anyone hears of a fix or technical advice, please let us know. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:33 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

I have the 6 CD changer too and had that happen once. There's other bugs too, like one I happened to hit today. The top line display locked up and stopped updating the selected station. The HUD stopped showing the station too. It still played fine and selected stations, just the display/HUD was messed up. It fixed itself the next time I started the car. This bug has happened to me a handful of times, the no sound bug has only happened once.

I have heard of no updates yet either, but I'm 99% sure these are software bugs and will only need a software update to fix. Of course, there's the 1% change that GM has a bug in the software that they use to update the software and we'll all have to get the head units swapped.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:37 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Just a thought, as I had something like this happen a few times.
It only happened when I started the car, without FIRST pressing my #1 memory button on the door.
I've got 1SB Z51 6SPD. No NAV.
If I press the memory button first, like I should, this never happens.
Just a thought.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:18 PM
qwertyasdfgh
Intermediate

I have had the same experience.
It is like the tuner comes on and works, but the amplifier doesn't. The amplifier seems to be the problem.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:40 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

From the descriptions, several who have posted radio problems here probably DO NOT have a FOB problem, but some of them could be due to switching FOBS.

Remember that the radio settings, like the A/C settings are tied to the FOBS and you don't have to use the memory buttons to save those settings for each FOB: they're saved automatically.

So those who are still having a problem with one or more bands of the radio not playing and have not ruled out the use of a different FOB, look to see which FOB you're using when the problem happens.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:40 PM
NoWayJose
Advanced

Default No Sound from radio

I experienced the problem twice so far in th etwo months I had the vehicle. Both times it was really cold so the problem appears to be temperature related. Car is in the shop now so I'll see what the dealer has to say about it
Old 01-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Stingray102
Cruising

I'm having the same problem with a 2009 C6 w/NAV. Sometimes when I start it up the radio doesn't come on. If I shut it down and restart it, it usually fixes it. Seems to happen completely random. Anyone here what the fix is?
Old 01-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Replace the radio, eventually. But it's better to start a new thread, not revive a 5-year old one.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:41 PM
TN 2005 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VI, VII & XII Veteran
St Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Existing threads receiving no replies for 45 days or more. If an existing thread has not received a reply for a period of 45 days or more, members should create a new thread which is identical or similar in nature, rather than to post to the existing one.

Similar or identical threads created under 45 days will be considered a dupe, and will be locked accordingly.

Members shall not post to such threads as a means to resurrect them for discussion or as a means to be humorous.

This rule will not apply to technical discussions or to posts in threads where such posts have been made to update the threads with information deemed by moderators to be of benefit to Forum members.

Get notified of new replies

To Intermittent non-working radio

Quick Reply: Intermittent non-working radio