C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed Fog light bulbs, sill plates and dooor handles

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 08:43 PM
vettejoel
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'17

Default Changed Fog light bulbs, sill plates and dooor handles

I got home early today so I had some time to play First thing I did was align the rear wheels on my C2 which took about 10 minutes. Then I put on the painted door handles on my C6.........
The next thing I did was change the sill plates........

Then I wanted to change my fog light bulbs to a bulb with a slight blue tint so they match the HID headlights. After calling Piaa lights they said their is no bulb available for the C6 foglights yet. I called Pep-Boys and they said the same thing. I decided to go to Pep-Boys to see for myself. I found Sylvania "cool blue" bulbs that look the same as the C6 fog light bulbs. The stock bulbs are 45 watts and the Sylvanias are 65 watts. I bought them for $14.00 each and they fit and look great. They are real easy to change. I took all of 10 minutes to do. Also notice where I stuck my front plate. I just wedged it in there. It fits really tight. No glue or brackets. I pushed on the plate from the front and it wouldn't budge...nice and tight!........

I also got the painted license plate bracket about 3 weeks ago but decided not to put it on. I kind of like the way my old C5 license plate bracket looks on the C6.......

Then it was time to put the toys away and have dinner.......

Here is a pic of the fog light bulb package for those of you who want to upgrade them....

Last edited by vettejoel; 10-26-2004 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:56 PM
The Garage Master
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thread thanks.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:27 PM
David Lasic
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Well those fog lights had ought to be bright as you put in High Beam 65 Watt bulbs.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:52 PM
vettejoel
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by David Lasic
Well those fog lights had ought to be bright as you put in High Beam 65 Watt bulbs.
They are as bright as the HID lights now...but not blinding to on coming traffic.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:20 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Very Nice, could you take a pic of your car from the side, so we could see the entire car, to see how the painted door "handles" blend in?
Old 10-26-2004, 10:26 PM
FRC2
Racer

You may also like the Sylvania Silverstars( or is it Phillips?) they look exceptionally well with HID lighting and they dont have so much of that "ricer" look to them at night. The light spectrum is more pure and is not just a tinted bulb

Just my .02
Old 10-27-2004, 12:49 AM
vettejoel
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CPT Z06
Very Nice, could you take a pic of your car from the side, so we could see the entire car, to see how the painted door "handles" blend in?
Sure can

Last edited by vettejoel; 10-27-2004 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:53 AM
vettejoel
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ta2C5
You may also like the Sylvania Silverstars( or is it Phillips?) they look exceptionally well with HID lighting and they dont have so much of that "ricer" look to them at night. The light spectrum is more pure and is not just a tinted bulb

Just my .02
The Sylvania's don't have a ricer look to them. In fact, they are not as "blue" as the HID's are...but close
Old 10-27-2004, 12:54 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

But will this lead to electrical problems in the future on a factory C-6 Corvette since it is more of a drain on the system with those higher wattage fog light bulbs which do burn hotter or will the wiring and alternator in the Corvette have to be changed?

Last edited by LS WON; 10-27-2004 at 02:07 AM.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:55 AM
paystyle
Pro

Do the doors still operate the same way, by touch, or do you actually pull the handles now? In other words, are the handles purely cosmetic, or are they functional?
Old 10-27-2004, 01:06 AM
MagicMtnDan
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

That rear license plate thing would look a lot better (IMHO) if it was painted to match the car.

I like the plate assuming there's no alternative (can't run without the plate)...
Old 10-27-2004, 01:24 AM
SA734
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any concern with the additional wattage in the bulbs creating heat that might discolor or melt the fog light lenses after prolonged use?
Old 10-27-2004, 01:52 AM
73VetteMan
Instructor

Default 9005 Is A Very Common Bulb

The 9005 is a high beam bulb used in many GM products including most pickups and sport utilities built during the last 10 years.

You should be able to use any manufacturers bulbs including the halogen or xenon in blue, purple, and green versions etc. Be careful NOT to get the 80 watt versions which would almost certainly melt the lenses or cause wire damage from excess current draw. The extra current draw from the 65 watt units should not be a problem, but the additional heat generated might become a problem if left on for a long time at slow speed or stopped.

I personally think you chose the best color bulb to use. I use the Silver Stars in my Yukon, Tahoe and wife's Bonneville. They seem to last much longer than other brands as well.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:02 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by SA734
Any concern with the additional wattage in the bulbs creating heat that might discolor or melt the fog light lenses after prolonged use?
I have 100 watt H-1 fog light bulbs in each of my fog lights but I had the wiring redone and a heavy duty alternator installed. These bulbs get SUPER HOT. The brighter high wattage bulbs do BURN HOTTER and the life is not as long as a standard wattage bulb. You can burn your hands on one of my fogs just leave your hand there for a couple of seconds. If you use plastic fog light covers depending on the space between the bulb and cover it will melt the plastic light cover. This installation is not on a Corvette and was done by a professional certified mechanic to ensure that it works at all costs and with safety the #1 concern. The additional cooling from the car moving helps cool the lenses

Last edited by LS WON; 10-27-2004 at 02:09 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 10-27-2004, 07:00 AM
miami34
Advanced

watts are a measure of the amount of energy a bulb uses. With LIKE type bulbs, higher wattages usually mean brighter bulbs and only slightly higher heat.

With different types of blue or whiter light, which is measured in " degrees of Kelvin ", the higher a temperature that the bulb burns, the whiter the light. A standard house bulb ( " A " type ) of 100 watts will give you a good amount of yellow light and be hot to the touch. A low voltage bulb ( MR16 type ) of 35watts will give you a much brighter cone of white light that will BURN your hand and or it's surroundings.

Replacing different types and or wattages of bulbs in your fog lights can be extremely dangerous. I would be a lot more concerned with the heat damage to lenses, wiring and possible fire than the load on the alternator.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:41 AM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

...what Paystyle asked,

Do the doors still operate the same way, by touch, or do you actually pull the handles now? In other words, are the handles purely cosmetic, or are they functional?

...and,

How did you take off the door sill (if you did) or did you mount the new one (I thought it was brushed aluminum, yours looks the one that came with the car) over the first one?
Old 10-27-2004, 08:45 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by vettejoel
Sure can
Danke, I like it, that mod will look very good on the reds and lighter colored cars.

Get notified of new replies

To Changed Fog light bulbs, sill plates and dooor handles

Old 10-27-2004, 02:49 PM
thinkfast
Cruising

Originally Posted by LS WON
I have 100 watt H-1 fog light bulbs in each of my fog lights but I had the wiring redone and a heavy duty alternator installed. These bulbs get SUPER HOT. The brighter high wattage bulbs do BURN HOTTER and the life is not as long as a standard wattage bulb. You can burn your hands on one of my fogs just leave your hand there for a couple of seconds. If you use plastic fog light covers depending on the space between the bulb and cover it will melt the plastic light cover. This installation is not on a Corvette and was done by a professional certified mechanic to ensure that it works at all costs and with safety the #1 concern. The additional cooling from the car moving helps cool the lenses
Hey, I saw some crazy postings yesterday from you. One of them was regarding giving up on a Corvette for a Mustang.

The rest was a lot of childish puking, what's up???? Corvette or not???

Do you have an order or not???

I am very new to THIS forum, but, am used to other subject boards....so why so obnoxious??? Bad Day???
Old 10-27-2004, 03:52 PM
Bunker
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St, Jude Donor '07-'08-'12, '14-'15

Are your wheels factory polished or aftermarket chrome? They seem brighter in your photos. BTW, the door handles look nice!
Old 10-27-2004, 04:26 PM
vettejoel
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ufso
...what Paystyle asked,

...and,

How did you take off the door sill (if you did) or did you mount the new one (I thought it was brushed aluminum, yours looks the one that came with the car) over the first one?
The door handles are the same as OEM...just painted and the door sills are very simular to OEM with the addition of brushed aluminum

Quick Reply: Changed Fog light bulbs, sill plates and dooor handles