C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Sensor Modification - Don't Want to Hit a Curb!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 01:52 PM
shopman1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front Sensor Modification - Don't Want to Hit a Curb!

In order not to run into a curb or wall or what ever, I thought that I could adapt a rear sensor to work on the front. I talked with the guys that make the MICRO 3s and they made one up limited to a 3' range. Now the problem was that you needed to put a switch on it so that when you need it you put it on. Not good. Instead I spliced it the hot lead into the running light on the passenger side. This dose the trick and you can tune it off if you wish. Anyway, we will not be hitting anything now! The MICRO 3s speaks to you, 3 feet, 2 feet, 12 inches, and goes to a CRASH word when you go below 12 inches. Very cool. I mounted it to my alternate license plate bracket. SEE:
Old 10-16-2004, 02:02 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

I'd love one! Where can they be purchased? And where would it go without the front plate?
Thanks!
Old 10-16-2004, 02:31 PM
shopman1
Pro

Originally Posted by Hoonose
I'd love one! Where can they be purchased? And where would it go without the front plate?
Thanks!
Call 800-869-8866 talk to John. He can fix you up. Its $105 for the Micro 3 tell him you want the one limited to 3 feet. You could mount it under the front bumper.
To tie it in with with running lights you need to take the inner liner off and get to the wire harnise behind. You want to tie it into the Brown wire. Thats the hot tip for today.
Old 10-17-2004, 03:00 AM
RoscoesC5

Originally Posted by shopman1
Call 800-869-8866 talk to John. He can fix you up. Its $105 for the Micro 3 tell him you want the one limited to 3 feet. You could mount it under the front bumper.
To tie it in with with running lights you need to take the inner liner off and get to the wire harnise behind. You want to tie it into the Brown wire. Thats the hot tip for today.
How hard to rig this to the C5????

Sounds neat!!!
Old 10-17-2004, 10:39 AM
shopman1
Pro

Originally Posted by RoscoesC5
How hard to rig this to the C5????

Sounds neat!!!
Its not that easy, you need to take the passenger side front (correction) -> INNER fender off. Get to the plug, splice into the brown wire going to the running lite. Fish the sensor wire up to the engine compartment. This Vette is tight man. Not many holes any ware! I put the sensor control in next to the battery using Velcro, the ground wire went to a ground located on the passenger side frame just behind the radiator. For now, I put the speaker inside the interior filter box because I could not find a place to fish the wire into the cabin! Not sure about drilling a hole until I have a manual to make sure I don't drill into something! It will do for now.
It took a few hours thats for sure.

Last edited by shopman1; 10-18-2004 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:55 AM
RoscoesC5

Thanks!!!

Roscoe...
Old 10-17-2004, 11:20 PM
viabono
Advanced

I've always thought those things were silly until now. This is one of the best ideas I've seen. I always worry about the front end. Took me a year to feel confident parking the C5, now I'm leaning again on the C6. If this were an option I would have gladly paid for it. Nice work and a great idea!
Old 10-18-2004, 07:42 AM
shopman1
Pro

I'll tell you a story that I am not proud of: I was pulling my 73 into my shop to put it on the lift and miss-jugged the front and put the nose into my drywall about an inch. Fortunately no damage! After that, I devised a hanging piece of carpet on a fold out arm, when I hit it, I was in the correct place to put the car up on the lift.

Originally Posted by viabono
I've always thought those things were silly until now. This is one of the best ideas I've seen. I always worry about the front end. Took me a year to feel confident parking the C5, now I'm leaning again on the C6. If this were an option I would have gladly paid for it. Nice work and a great idea!
Old 10-18-2004, 07:57 AM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by shopman1
I'll tell you a story that I am not proud of: I was pulling my 73 into my shop to put it on the lift and miss-jugged the front and put the nose into my drywall about an inch. Fortunately no damage! After that, I devised a hanging piece of carpet on a fold out arm, when I hit it, I was in the correct place to put the car up on the lift.
Hang a tennis ball from some fish line. Hang it so it just contacts the windshield at the point were you want your car to stop! Works every time.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Blevinator
Pro

Just bought this sensor off ebay!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
I plan to remove the sensors from the bracket, mount them in the plastic that is under the front bumper. The readout will be mounted in the console in the car. Have not decided to use a toggle switch or Roscoes method, but know I can mount a toggle in the ashtray if nothing else. i just scraped the paint off the underside of mt C6 bumper.
I have it being repainted next week ans will NEVER let this happen again. kit was 40.00 shipped!!!!
Old 01-05-2010, 10:05 AM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i would like to rig up a similar setup but have the sensor trip a relay that will display a front mounted camera rather than my read camera and i would then have a visual on my kenwood nav screen and actually see the curb im parking into.

Get notified of new replies

To Front Sensor Modification - Don't Want to Hit a Curb!

Quick Reply: Front Sensor Modification - Don't Want to Hit a Curb!