C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock stereo with 1SA package

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 10:26 AM
ALMS21
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Stock stereo with 1SA package

I have a 6 spd 1SA on order and was wondering how the stereo with the 1SA pkg compares with the upgraded stereo (which many people on here claim sucks) on the 1SB. If the stereo sucks on the 1SB then the 1SA stereo must sound like a transister radio?

Please tell me it ain't that bad!!
Old 10-16-2004, 02:07 PM
S2K
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

No matter how bad it is I can pretty much assure you it won't be as bad as the stock radio in my S2000. Seriously, my 3 year old son singing Barney tunes into a soup can is more musical.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:12 PM
SouthFlorida
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The radio belows in the Dumpster

Yea, it is that bad. I just picked up my C6 1SA this week and the radio is the only thing that dissapoints me. Other then that, the car is is winner!
Old 10-16-2004, 02:19 PM
David Lasic
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

The 1SA, without NAV, OnStar, BOSE, HUD, etc. should be much simpler to replace with the sound system of your choice.

Isn't it ironic that for the extra $2955.oo premium of 1SB, there are complaints on the NAV (ega res won't work with DVD movies), OnStar being the old analog version, owners say they are or want to upgrade the sound system over that "crappy" BOSE unit.

Kenwood's 6.5" Excelon DDX7015 DVD receiver is a very nice flush fit in the dash opening (double DIN size). Add the Kenwood KNA-DV4100 NAV package, pick your speakers and amps and your are way, way past anything an OEM has available, except for perhaps the Maybach.

That Kenwood package goes for under $2399, Crutchfield. You know you can do better. Add an XM or Sirius Kenwood tuner a SMALL satellite antenna.

Just some thoughts. I mention Kenwood as it is a full screen flush mount to the dash. No extending screens. Beautiful color. No worry about the handbrake lever interface as this is a 1SA car remember???
Old 10-16-2004, 02:22 PM
richbell
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stewart20
I have a 6 spd 1SA on order and was wondering how the stereo with the 1SA pkg compares with the upgraded stereo (which many people on here claim sucks) on the 1SB. If the stereo sucks on the 1SB then the 1SA stereo must sound like a transister radio?

When I ordered my second c6 I really thought about a 1SA. I really didn't care about the HUD with the 1SB. However if you look at the price difference and consider the 6 disc changer with improved stereo system, thow in the compass and the memory system I kept 1SB. I don't like aftermarket stereo systems in my vettes.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:39 PM
SouthFlorida
Instructor

Originally Posted by richbell
When I ordered my second c6 I really thought about a 1SA. I really didn't care about the HUD with the 1SB. However if you look at the price difference and consider the 6 disc changer with improved stereo system, thow in the compass and the memory system I kept 1SB. I don't like aftermarket stereo systems in my vettes.
I hope you are not saying that the main reason you got the 1SB was for the upgraded stereo. I have heard really bad reports about this so called "upgraded" stereo in the 1SB. And I can't imagine GM caring about the sound of the stereo in the 1SB when they don't in the 1SA when they are both in 50K cars. And remember, except for me, who is one of the few people that owns a 1SA right now, all the complaints you are hearing about the sound system and speakers have been about the 1SB.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:33 PM
David Lasic
Burning Brakes

Default 1SA/1SX Radio Interface for aftermarket stereos

The GM09 Scoshe 24 pin connector interface for non-Bose, 1SA/1SX equipped cars is what we need to use a great aftermarket unit.

I will likely use a receiver that is compatible with Sirius satellite and use a TERK small satellite antenna. I'm looking at the Infinity powered subwoofer, it's a new one, not the Bass Link, but is 43" Wide. Not sure yet.

From the Scoshe web site, information on the GM09 interface to use for the 1SA/1SX C6's:

Channel Islands, CA (January 2004) The audio engineers at Scosche Industries have designed this harness (GM09) to allow you to upgrade your GM sound system while retaining the warning chimes and Retained Accessory Power System in your vehicle. It will fit many 1999 through 2003 GM cars, trucks and SUV's (without OnStar® or BOSE® sound systems). This integration interface harness also issues data commands that maintain a "healthy" system status to other vehicle systems.

Scosche's GM09 enables aftermarket stereo installation while generating a data-bus 12-volt power output that's fully compatible with GM's Retained Accessory Power (RAP) system. RAP keeps the radio powered after key-off, just like the factory system. Simply remove the factory radio and plug in the GM09's 24-pin male harness to the vehicles factory harness. No adjustments are required and your new sound system will function the same way as the original. Warning chimes will be produced by the buzzer within the GM09. It allows the sound upgrade you want without losing any of the factory functions. Check it out, along with all Scosche's audio products and accessories at www.scosche.com.

For information on any of the outrageous Scosche audio accessories, or to find a dealer near you, please feel free to contact Scosche at (800) 363-4490 or send e-mail to sales@scosche.com.

Last edited by David Lasic; 10-16-2004 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:35 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

It's all Bose.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:42 PM
David Lasic
Burning Brakes

Then you've got to use a separate Bose line adapter OR just replace the speakers and add an amp(s)

It's worth it
Old 10-16-2004, 06:48 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by David Lasic
Isn't it ironic that for the extra $2955.oo premium of 1SB,.... OnStar being the old analog version, .....
It is a digital ready unit, (says right on the window sticker). I have read where they are offering a free upgrade if you subscribe for 2 years. I plan to, so I will get the upgrade.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:13 PM
David Lasic
Burning Brakes

Ted,

From your postings I understand that there are NO individual speaker amps on the BOSE??? Must be just one main amplifier in the car??? With that impedence rating 3.4 ohms this would make that GM09 the straight plug in that Scoshe claims it to be.

Put in a new head unit, upgrade the speakers as you've outlined, add a powered sub (the Infinity units can accept the line level inputs from the front door woofers) and stand back!!

Thanks

Last edited by David Lasic; 10-16-2004 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:44 PM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you sure about the GM09/

Here is Sound Domains write up of the product:
"The Scosche GM09 wiring harness allows the factory radio to be replaced, while maintaining all original vehicle functions. A separate, compact powered speaker is included to provide factory door chime functionality. Not for use with vehicles that have factory keyless entry systems."

Would that not include the C6? This is important since I plan too to replace my unit.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:36 PM
archtop
Drifting

I have the sa package and the stereo sucks! In fact I have never heard a crappier system in a car.When I got the car the center speaker was blown(buzzing,distorted etc.) that was 3 weeks ago.I have just been informed they can't send me a replacement 'cause all the center speakers in base stereo's they were using are bad.Now I have to wait till they come up with one that work's.Sorry GM but your service is as bad as your reputation.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:44 PM
The Garage Master
Le Mans Master

When ever my convertible gets built I will be selling my NAV/Bose stero and XM because I am swapping out stero system. Thanks Chad
Old 11-29-2004, 09:56 PM
Mag Red C-6
Racer

St. Jude Donor '06

Chad:
I have the NAV/Bose/XM in my C6 and it's a pretty neat set up the way the NAV ties into the HUD. Overall the NAV is very nice and I'm glad I got it. The Bose while a vast improvement over my C5 could use some upgrading but other than that and the ugly XM black thing I'm pretty happy.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:15 PM
JSMDMD
Melting Slicks

Default Well... it all depends...

Originally Posted by Stewart20

It's worse....
I keep tryin to play with the settings... and it just doesn't sound good.
The speakers are just....crappy.
Are the speakers in the 1SA radio Bose speakers?
Old 11-29-2004, 11:37 PM
archtop
Drifting

Originally Posted by JSMDMD
It's worse....
I keep tryin to play with the settings... and it just doesn't sound good.
The speakers are just....crappy.
Are the speakers in the 1SA radio Bose speakers?
They're not Bose,they're not even Blose,they're K-mart,Tiwan quality tupperware pieces of sh$t! as is the Delco massive distortion headunit and the 98 lb.weekling poor excuse for an amp they have stashed under the passenger side dash. Sorry about that I feel better now,I'll just go ahead and calmly replace the whole damn stereo.

Get notified of new replies

To Stock stereo with 1SA package

Old 11-29-2004, 11:44 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Originally Posted by archtop
They're not Bose,they're not even Blose,they're K-mart,Tiwan quality tupperware pieces of sh$t! as is the Delco massive distortion headunit and the 98 lb.weekling poor excuse for an amp they have stashed under the passenger side dash. Sorry about that I feel better now,I'll just go ahead and calmly replace the whole damn stereo.
This is the way they can tell themselves the Bose sounds good by making the non Bose crappier. Although I find it hard to believe that there is anything crappier sounding than the Bose.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:51 PM
archtop
Drifting

Originally Posted by TedG
This is the way they can tell themselves the Bose sounds good by making the non Bose crappier. Although I find it hard to believe that there is anything crappier sounding than the Bose.
Thanks for making me try to feel better,thats why I love this forum.
PS My wife and I went for a ride this afternoon and I was playing one of my favorite CD's when she turned it off ,looked at me and said "I'm sorry but that just sounds so bad".Ya think it might be worse than the Bose setup?
Old 11-29-2004, 11:55 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Originally Posted by archtop
Thanks for making me try to feel better,thats why I love this forum.
PS My wife and I went for a ride this afternoon and I was playing one of my favorite CD's when she turned it off ,looked at me and said "I'm sorry but that just sounds so bad".Ya think it might be worse than the Bose setup?
God I hope not.

The good part is changing the speakers is pretty much a no brainer. If the speakers are crappier than the Bose. The improvement will be dramatic.

Quick Reply: Stock stereo with 1SA package