C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need correct air filter part no: manual is wrong

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 06:56 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Air filter update: no one has the C6 filters!

Does anyone know the correct AC Delco number for the air filters used in the C6? The manual says A917C, but that appears to be wrong. The A917C is a 16 inch wide filter and the C6 seems to use two smaller ones.

I'm looking to find the correct part number so I can look up the K&N replacement to see if K&N has the filters available.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by mikeyc6; 10-14-2004 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:28 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Have you actually inspected the filters themselves to see if there's some identification on them?
Old 10-13-2004, 07:32 PM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Talk to Fichtner Chevrolet parts dept. They have parts books for the C6. They were able to tell me that the C5 oil filter will fit the C6.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:12 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Just to follow up, I called my dealer and got the AC Delco part number for the air filters: A2945C, not A917C as listed in the manual (that was the old one for the C5).

Unfortunately, A2945C appears to be brand new, isn't listed anywhere, and there are no listings or cross references for it anywhere. K&N does not have a cross reference for the part number nor do they list one for the C6. In addition, I browsed through several hundred K&N panel filters on their web site and none are close to the correct size, which is 7.0 inches x 9.625 inches (outside edges) and 1.5 inches tall. If anyone has a size cross reference and can match those dimensions, please let me know.

For those looking to just put some K&N filters in the stock box, we appear to be SOL. The stock filters look incredibly restrictive, thick, and block almost all light when looking through them. I sure wish there was an alternative. Maybe sometime soon???

Mike
Old 10-14-2004, 01:45 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am a K&N believer, having been a motorcycle machanic in my younger years and dealiing with many 2 strokes. A real test for a filter back then was to run the stocker and jet till it blubbered at 500 rpm before redline. Then just replace the filter, the damn things would rev till they blew. Ok so much for that. That being said, I have heard good things about the Fram Air Hog, but have not seen any real data. I usually hate Frams, because their oil filters would fail on motorcycles and were actually banned from use in racing for a period. Also their filters were nothing more than a stocker with an orange rim. But I do have an open mind and if the Air hogs work better, sign me up. K&N will usually jump on the filter thing within a couple of months of a new release,
Summit usually is first to get filters from K&N, anyone call them yet?
Old 10-14-2004, 03:18 PM
Mark S.
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you have 10K miles on her...you shouldn't have to replace the filters yet.

K & N Filters are nice...but what worries me is the re-oiling process when it's time to clean and replace...too much oiling and you'll suck some oil into the throttle body and too little oiling and you're really not getting enough filtering. They come from the factory pre-oiled...matching that (10K milies down the road) exactly is where the problem comes in.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:27 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mark S.
Unless you have 10K miles on her...you shouldn't have to replace the filters yet.

K & N Filters are nice...but what worries me is the re-oiling process when it's time to clean and replace...too much oiling and you'll suck some oil into the throttle body and too little oiling and you're really not getting enough filtering. They come from the factory pre-oiled...matching that (10K milies down the road) exactly is where the problem comes in.
The stockers look very restrictive. I'm not too worried about the oiling issue. After you've done it a few times, it's easy to get the right amount of oil on the K&N's. If you put too much on there, I doubt a fraction of an ounce of oil into the intake will hurt anything. The intake is used to breathing oil all the time through the PCV system anyway. The only thing you really have to worry about is the MAF, and those can be cleaned with alcohol if you make a mistake and put way too much oil on.

Mike
Old 10-14-2004, 04:26 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

mikeyc6,

Thanks for the follow-up posting on the correct part number, along with the filter dimensions. Don't suppose you also got a GM Part No. with that, did you?

I did go out to the car last night and looked to see if I could find a Delco part no. or a GM part no., but couldn't find one.

Get notified of new replies

To Need correct air filter part no: manual is wrong

Quick Reply: Need correct air filter part no: manual is wrong