C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems at 560 miles...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 11:56 PM
burnngas
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burnngas

I have had two C5's and now a C6. They have all made that ticking noise you are asking about. My Escalade has the same noise. Doesn't sound normal but haven't had any trouble at all with engines.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:34 AM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I hate to hear bad dealership stories. I would be totally pizzed too. Someone should be bending over backwards for you with these two problems. I'd make a few phone calls and see if I couldn't get some qualified guys to check out your car. You might have to drive a bit to find someone reputable but, it will be worth it knowing what your really looking at.
Leaving the car for a few days at the dealer blows......
I hope it turns out to be something simple, chafing, rubbing or loose that is causing the noises.
Good luck oneil..........keep us posted..........
Old 01-29-2005, 05:42 AM
VLVETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Scissors
While ticking while cold is normal, that doesn't mean that your particular ticking is normal. I'd have to hear it to know for sure.

But the throttle should definitely not hesitate to rev at all. The electronic throttle is immediate. The dealership was BSing you.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:16 PM
robert kirk
Racer

I'm old so I have to ask. I understand ticking from a engine with a solid lifter cam. I have also heard ticking from race engines that were puttogether loose to turn wicked rpm's. I don't understand why a new ls motor would have any ticking? Ticking sounds are usually metal on metal hits, this leaves particles in the motor and causes severe wear. I would not think this would be a good thing on a production motor that chevy has to warranty. I admit I know nothing other than what I have read about this, I do not own one. Pretty much just curious why a ticking engine would be "ok" in a 50 grand car any car. robert
Old 01-31-2005, 12:28 PM
bangbgC6
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The last post from this member is Oct 12, 2004 on this subject, and from my searches which are not the best he only has one other period.

Has anyone ever heard from oneal, the thread starter, with this noise problem?
Old 01-31-2005, 01:41 PM
DJCCorvette
Instructor

It sounds like your valves to me? Now when the engine is cold you will hear the lifters in the engine, if you pop the hood you and listen closely to the valve covers you'll hear what I'm talking about. This sound goes away normally in a few minutes when the engine gets good oil pressure, in the valve area including the lifters, pushrods, rocker arms, springs, etc. It could be a number of things like a broken valve spring, bad lifter, or maybe a streched rocker arm stud or nut became lose. I would believe the dealers they lie a lot. I would call someone from the corvette plant, here is the #(270) 745-8217 and speak to someone that works in the engine department. Sorry that happened to you

P.S. I live in Bowling Green, Kentucky about five miles of the plant and maybe ask someone for you.

Daniel
Old 01-31-2005, 06:22 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default 300 miles the only thing that went out was the turn signal DRL bulb

Old 12-09-2010, 11:26 PM
clouddancer
Instructor

Default ticking noise - piston slap

My Escalade slowly got so bad I thought it was an exhaust manifold leak and took it in. They said no, not an exhaust leak, that's piston slap and that's normal with these aluminum engines. That's BS and after I reminded them how many cars/trucks I have bought from them they went round and round with GM and ended up putting a new engine in my 2008 Escalade EXT with 26,000 miles on it.

Don't let them BS you about a loud ticking that keeps getting worse is "normal" over time it will destroy the engine.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:24 AM
m R g S r
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

post is a few years old lol

Get notified of new replies

To Problems at 560 miles...

Quick Reply: Problems at 560 miles...