C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Cleaning - What NOT to do!

Old 10-10-2004, 07:05 PM
Buster1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel Cleaning - What NOT to do!

Just washed the C6 again and decided right after it was all done and dry that I would take it for a quick spin to "blow out" all the residual brake dust. I've been having a problem with Z51 brake squeal at very low speeds and thought it might be due to some brake dust. I rinsed out the brakes with high pressure H2O during the wash.

Well after returning from the quick spin around the neighborhood, much to my surprise, my wheels were basically coated in rust colored "goo!" Guess what ever was left in the brakes and rotor blew out all over everything like 4 giant blenders gone mad!

Lesson Learned, let things dry before driving.

Anyone else having "issues" with their brakes? Mine make a TON of brake dust every day?? Only 330 miles so far.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:11 PM
miami34
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Z51, 600 miles, break squeal but do not have inordinate brake dust. Actually I have very little
Old 10-10-2004, 07:12 PM
Dsob15
Burning Brakes

Several of my friends have cross-drilled rotors on their cars and they squeak too. I have them on my SL600 and they make some little noises every once in a while. I think it's the rotors...I don't have Z51 on my C6 so I can't comment on that.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:20 PM
Lawman31
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buster1
Just washed the C6 again and decided right after it was all done and dry that I would take it for a quick spin to "blow out" all the residual brake dust. I've been having a problem with Z51 brake squeal at very low speeds and thought it might be due to some brake dust. I rinsed out the brakes with high pressure H2O during the wash.

Well after returning from the quick spin around the neighborhood, much to my surprise, my wheels were basically coated in rust colored "goo!" Guess what ever was left in the brakes and rotor blew out all over everything like 4 giant blenders gone mad!

Lesson Learned, let things dry before driving.

Anyone else having "issues" with their brakes? Mine make a TON of brake dust every day?? Only 330 miles so far.
When the rotors sit at the factory after they are drilled, they accumulated rust inside of the holes and this is probably what you blew out during the high pressure wash.
Rust is basically metal, so if it seats onto the pads, then you will have a metal to metal situation which could cause squeals in the brakes.

I would suggest that you do a double take on that high pressure treatment and then let us all know if your squeaking has subsided any.

I have a Z-51 coming and for one, would like to know so that I can blow out the rotors before I harm my new pads.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:27 PM
Buster1
Burning Brakes

I took her back out for another drive, this time about 6 hrs after the morning wash. Brake squeal was non-existant for the first ~5 miles! But then slowly started to squeal again as I drove on. Not as bad, but still there. Maybe just one wheel. I tried the drive in reverse, then apply the brakes trick. It seemed to help a little too.

Overall it seems like the longer I drive (between washes), the worse it gets. I used very light/normal braking for the 1st 200 miles per recommended break-in and pad seating.

I may try washing them again tomorrow, followed by a long dry. I'll let you all know how it went.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:31 PM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

I have the Z51 and notice less brake dust than on any of my past five C5's.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:34 PM
vettejoel
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'17

I don't have any squeal with my Z-51. I do dry my rotors with a leaf blower prior to driving and the wheels stay clean on the inside. Be sure to move the car to dry the section behind the callipers. I'm looking foward to ceramic pads when they come out.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:37 PM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Default New performance pads>>

as I have done with every new car I have owned in the last 10 years...off with the OEM pads and on with the R4S Porterfields. I think the squeal issus will go away (install using Brake Quiet) and brake dust reduced by 80%...and yes the most important item...more bite and braking.
Michael
Old 10-10-2004, 09:57 PM
SSkindog
Racer

my Z51 brakes squeak too
Old 10-10-2004, 10:28 PM
c2jones
Burning Brakes

as I have done with every new car I have owned in the last 10 years...off with the OEM pads and on with the R4S Porterfields. I think the squeal issus will go away (install using Brake Quiet) and brake dust reduced by 80%...and yes the most important item...more bite and braking.
Precisely.

I have been doing this with great results. My wife's new Mercedes has the pads and treatment, and so will my C6.

http://www.myroadster.net/

http://www.myroadster.net/6_Steps_to_Quiet_Brakes.asp

Last edited by c2jones; 10-11-2004 at 01:26 AM.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:02 AM
DudeWheresMyVette
Drifting

Location: NYC / Naples, FL C5 under construction! Arancio Atlas (Lamborghini Metallic Orange) comming soon! :)

Most any high permance pad from the factory creates alot of brake dust. Ever see a ton of German cars with the front rims black and the rears 1/3 as dirty? Same thing going on. As far as squeak, I don't know exactly what to tell you.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:17 AM
Joezone914
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Buster1
I to have Z51 and breaks squeal at low speeds with light application. After washing my car if i drive it right away i always get that nasty rust that comes back out of the rotors. I inevitably have to wipe the rims again after the ride from cat wash area in back to my garage. Mind you i hate doing it because in the front you can'r really get your hand in there.

As others have commented i do not get much brake dust between washes seems to be less than my C5.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:24 AM
c2jones
Burning Brakes

Most any high permance pad from the factory creates alot of brake dust. Ever see a ton of German cars with the front rims black and the rears 1/3 as dirty? Same thing going on. As far as squeak, I don't know exactly what to tell you.
Coming from two MB people (myself and C6FirstVette), he was told what to do about it. I have curbed all the dusting and squealing issues with all my cars with the products and treatment mentioned in my posting above. On top of that, I have superior braking power.

Its a very simple fix, if one will listen.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:32 AM
SA734
Pro

The "drilled" Z-51 rotors are not drilled.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:18 AM
Lawman31
Racer

Originally Posted by SA734
O.K. I give.........What do you mean???
Old 10-11-2004, 12:15 PM
Tenderfoot
Drifting

Can't answer your questions about amount of brake dust or brakes squeeling, but you can use an electric leaf blower after you wash to quickly dry out your wheels (and the rest of the car for that matter.) Also, there is a product called RejeX which supposedly reduces the amount of brake dust that adheres to the wheels: http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html. Haven't used it myself but have heard good things about it. Also, a product called Wheel Wax.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:54 PM
Buckeye guy
Pro

Originally Posted by SA734

How do the holes get there?

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel Cleaning - What NOT to do!

Old 10-11-2004, 01:24 PM
Hernan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lawman31
When the rotors sit at the factory after they are drilled, they accumulated rust inside of the holes and this is probably what you blew out during the high pressure wash..
They may get rust in the holes later, but when I watched the factory tour, the Z51 rotors were painted black from the factory. They looked wicked going down the line BTW. The paint, probably to stop the rusting before they are put on comes off the swept area as soon as they apply the brakes for the first time.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:02 PM
Lawman31
Racer

Originally Posted by Hernan
They may get rust in the holes later, but when I watched the factory tour, the Z51 rotors were painted black from the factory. They looked wicked going down the line BTW. The paint, probably to stop the rusting before they are put on comes off the swept area as soon as they apply the brakes for the first time.
They must rust pretty quickly then, probably while on the transport truck crossing the country.
I am going to blow out each hole on my rotors with an air compressor just to make sure nothing crawls out and gets seated on the pads.
I may also change my pads as indicated in an earlier posting in this thread, this seems to be a very logical approach and could reduce the brake dust as well.
My plan is to drive the car normally once I get it and see what happens. If I need to upgrade the pads to eliminate any squeaks or brake dust, I will so. From what I read, the new pads will also improve the braking power as well, which is always a good thing.
If anyone has squeaking in their brakes, they should fix it….. After all, who wants to pay 50K for a Corvette and have squeaky brakes? Pads are cheap………..
Old 10-11-2004, 03:05 PM
willisit
Advanced

When he says they aren't "drilled" he means they are pressed with the holes already in the disc. But then, that was obvious, no?

My 911's brakes are "drilled" and squeal too. It's normal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel Cleaning - What NOT to do!