C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change = 6.0+ quarts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 05:53 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Oil change = 6.0+ quarts?

I decided to change my oil today at about 800 miles just to get some fresh oil in there after the breakin. I put 6 quarts in and the oil level on the dipstick is still only halfway into the hatched area. Normal? Could the dipstick be inaccurate?

I warmed it up afterward, let it run for a while, turned it off and let the oil settle for about 10 minutes, and checked the dipstick several times on level ground so I don't think it's me. I've been changing oil for over 20 years, so I doubt it's pilot error.

I tried a search, but the search tool here can't even find a common term like "VIN" most of the time, so that's useless. Looking for input from people who have changed their own oil in their C6 already.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-10-2004, 06:06 PM
curvesman
Safety Car

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified 2020

Very strange? I thought the c6 took five and a half quarts!
Old 10-10-2004, 06:10 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by curvesman
Very strange? I thought the c6 took five and a half quarts!
That's what the manual says, but when I added 5.5 quarts, the level was only at the bottom (start) of the hatched pattern on the dipstick.

I read on another forum that the 5.5 quarts is the oil pan capacity so it doesn't include the volume of the filter, which might be a half quart.

I'm not too worried about it as I don't think an extra half quart will hurt especially when it brings it to halfway into the hatch on the dipstick, but I'd just like to know what others have found.

Mike
Old 10-10-2004, 07:11 PM
Buster1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry, but I don't have any help relating to your question. As a side note, are you using ramps, jacks, or a lift? And if so, what are you using and how is it working for you?? I was wondering if the car needed to be level to change the oil, and thought ramps might be a problem...but I really have no idea.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:19 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Mikeyc6,
I read the manual the same way you do. On page 5-94, it specifically says, "Engine Oil with Filter 5.5 quarts". Guess you'll have to wait until someone else posts that they've done this. I have not.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:46 PM
C7CorvettePilot
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Z51 has an oil cooler and I think you have to have more oil to compensate for the cooler. ???? Other cars I have had with a cooler took extra oil.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:28 PM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by C6VettePilot
The Z51 has an oil cooler and I think you have to have more oil to compensate for the cooler. ???? Other cars I have had with a cooler took extra oil.

I changed mine last week. It took 5 1/2 quarts and was right at the top of the hash mark. BTW the C6 dipstick is a nice gray color and you can read the oil level much easier now, even with fresh oil.

I have the Z51 but that should make no difference in oil capacity.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:34 PM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

As a precaution I checked the oil and found it up to the top of the hatch marks. It had been sitting about 30 min. I once had a car with the dip stick tube was not all the way down in the block......Always wrong reading.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:56 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Put the drain plug back in.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:09 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Buster1
I'm sorry, but I don't have any help relating to your question. As a side note, are you using ramps, jacks, or a lift? And if so, what are you using and how is it working for you?? I was wondering if the car needed to be level to change the oil, and thought ramps might be a problem...but I really have no idea.
I just jacked it using the pucks in the front and put jack stands under it. All the oil appears to drain out fine with just the front end lifted. I guess in my case, all the oil... plus an extra half quart drains out.

My car is not a Z51 and my dipstick isn't gray; it's black like most other cars. I must say I'm getting a complex... starting to think my dipstick is just too short.

Mike
Old 10-10-2004, 10:31 PM
JWD01
Melting Slicks

This discrepency (sp?) was the same with the LS1's. Everyone stated they only hold 5.5 qts. and if you put in 6 qts. it's over filled. I was there when my 01 was unloaded and nobody at the dealership touched the car before I took delivery. It came from the factory with the oil level exactly at the top hash mark. With all B.S. about the oil quantity, I decided to check everything at the first oil change. I measured the oil I drained out (6 qts.) and it took exactly 6 qts. to bring it back up to the upper hash mark again.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:32 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JWD01
This discrepency (sp?) was the same with the LS1's. Everyone stated they only hold 5.5 qts. and if you put in 6 qts. it's over filled. I was there when my 01 was unloaded and nobody at the dealership touched the car before I took delivery. It came from the factory with the oil level exactly at the top hash mark. With all B.S. about the oil quantity, I decided to check everything at the first oil change. I measured the oil I drained out (6 qts.) and it took exactly 6 qts. to bring it back up to the upper hash mark again.
Wasn't the LS1 stated as 6 qts in the manual? At 5.5 qts, the LS2 is actually supposed to use less oil than the LS1.

Mike
Old 10-11-2004, 01:36 PM
Norske
Instructor

I once had a case of oil (not Mobile1) which had all underfilled quart containers. Called the mfg., and was told that's a "rare occurrence", which means it occurs...
Old 10-11-2004, 08:12 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeyc6
Wasn't the LS1 stated as 6 qts in the manual? At 5.5 qts, the LS2 is actually supposed to use less oil than the LS1.

Mike
The LS1's capacity is 6.5 quarts.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:13 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Quick tip: always pre-fill the oil filter before installing. The first time you do it, you will be surprised at how much it will take. This will also eliminate any interruption in oil delivery.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:20 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Well there's your problem. The LS1's oil capacity is 6.5 quarts. So of course yours was underfilled with only 5.5 put in.

What people forget are a couple of things:

1. That not all of the oil drains out in the first place.
2. That the C5's problem related to an incorrect dipstick, not to an incorrect published oil fill capacity.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:17 PM
JWD01
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Scissors
Well there's your problem. The LS1's oil capacity is 6.5 quarts. So of course yours was underfilled with only 5.5 put in.

What people forget are a couple of things:

1. That not all of the oil drains out in the first place.
2. That the C5's problem related to an incorrect dipstick, not to an incorrect published oil fill capacity.
I was going from memory (which is poor at best). I drained out 6.5 qts. and it took 6.5 qts. to fill it back up. The problem was that the owners manual and service manual states it holds only 6 qts. and everyone in the C5 section stated that 6.5 was overfilling it. However, mine came from the factory with 6.5 qts. in it. I've heard the dipstick theory but even if mine had an incorrect dipstick, why did the factory put in 6.5 qts.?

Get notified of new replies

To Oil change = 6.0+ quarts?

Old 10-12-2004, 07:41 PM
0vetteshop
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Patman
The LS1's capacity is 6.5 quarts.
Changed the oil on a C6 the other day,took 6.5 quarts
Old 10-12-2004, 08:03 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

I was going from memory (which is poor at best). I drained out 6.5 qts. and it took 6.5 qts. to fill it back up. The problem was that the owners manual and service manual states it holds only 6 qts. and everyone in the C5 section stated that 6.5 was overfilling it. However, mine came from the factory with 6.5 qts. in it. I've heard the dipstick theory but even if mine had an incorrect dipstick, why did the factory put in 6.5 qts.?
Well the dipstick wasn't a theory since GM specifically revised it in later years to fix the problem.

What I do know is that not all of the oil drains when you change it, so there's probably as much as 0.5 quarts left throughout the engine. Whereas the factory can dump in the entire 6.5 because the engine is new and unoiled.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:14 PM
llllorac
Advanced

Default Oil capacity of '10 Grand Sport LS3 convertible...

I have been reading different things on the internet....does anyone know how much oil to use when changing oil and filter.(not dry sump motor)...does the LS1 engine have a larger capacity than the LS2 and LS3....what brand and model of filter is best to use? 5-30 mobil 1 or 10-30 mobile 1....or something else...

Quick Reply: Oil change = 6.0+ quarts?