C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racetronix PnP FP Regulator vs. 97-98 Rail/Regulator Setup?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 06:20 PM
MelloYellow
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ...

Last edited by MelloYellow; 01-13-2005 at 03:32 AM.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:06 PM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

they will be essentially the same with a lesser price tag associated with it, mainly because the racetronixs will retrofit into the newer style where you would have to re-plumb back into the tank with the older style.

Both will regulate the fuel at the rail, so i would imagine they would perform the same from a pressure at the rail perspective.

For those of us that are waiting........ we are still waiting....

500+ to re-configure for the old style or 300 +/- for the retro fit???
Old 10-05-2004, 11:37 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree. The Racetronix system, if/when it comes out, will simply be a more cost effective solution vs. what's currently out there.

Of course if you ever show your engine bay, the aftermarket systems out there just look plain cool:

Old 10-05-2004, 11:45 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by diynoob
I agree. The Racetronix system, if/when it comes out, will simply be a more cost effective solution vs. what's currently out there.

Of course if you ever show your engine bay, the aftermarket systems out there just look plain cool:

Thats a nice looking setup noob. Did you make that or buy it?
Old 10-05-2004, 11:47 PM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree, 97 and Racetronix shoud be the same, but racetronix should be cheaper. 97 style is a known animial though and that is always nice. It has worked on many cars including all LPE 427 TTs.

Also agree that the above pic looks very nice. Don't want to hide those behind the covers.

Did you ever get your fuel issues worked out diynoob. Last thing I remember was that you needed a BAP.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:23 AM
MelloYellow
Le Mans Master

To convert to a 97-98 rail setup, what is required?

'97 Rails
'97 FPR
etc?

Anyone have p/n's and pricing?
Old 10-06-2004, 01:05 AM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MelloYellow
To convert to a 97-98 rail setup, what is required?

'97 Rails
'97 FPR
etc?

Anyone have p/n's and pricing?
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=739059

That should answer all your questions and then some.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:54 AM
MelloYellow
Le Mans Master

Thx!

Could you explain the bottom quote a bit more?
Is this something inherent stock? Which vacuum line causes the regulator to be boost referenced? Is this a 97-98 only characteristic?

First the results; the big surprise for me was that the stock 97 regulator is boost referenced at 1:1.

No surprise there - I'd be surprised if it wasn't 1:1! 1 PSI of additional pressure on top of the diaphram (vacuum/boost reference) means 1 PSI of additional pressure under the diaphram (where the fuel is). For a regulator not to be 1:1, there would have to be a piston between the fuel and vacuum reference that had different areas on each face (i.e., an FMU).

The main reason that I was so surprised is that anything you read about the ls1 states that it is a static fuel pressure based system. I figured the vacuum line was only an assist of some sort and that the pressure would still be static.

Last edited by MelloYellow; 10-06-2004 at 02:07 AM.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:59 AM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the compliments Shinobi/Quick --

The system was bought from LS1Speed.com. It seems to be working well, but I am a little concerned over the diameter of the plumbing. The braided hose takes -8 fittings and appears to be almost twice the size of the stock fuel lines. There is probably some multiple of volume inside this plumbing vs. stock plumbing -- which I think means that the fuel pump will have to work a little harder to achieve the same pressure inside the lines. I am running out of fuel at about 600rwhp, but that's normal for a non-BAP Racetronix setup.

Quick -- I have the BAP sitting in its bag inside the house. I need to get around to installing it for sure I think that will solve my issue and tack on another 50hp without any additional boost. I'm still road testing to make sure the belt challenges are gone before moving onto the fuel challenges.

and thanks again for the compliments.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:10 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the compliments Shinobi/Quick --

The system was bought from LS1Speed.com. It seems to be working well, but I am a little concerned over the diameter of the plumbing. The braided hose takes -8 fittings and appears to be almost twice the size of the stock fuel lines. There is probably some multiple of volume inside this plumbing vs. stock plumbing -- which I think means that the fuel pump will have to work a little harder to achieve the same pressure inside the lines. I am running out of fuel at about 600rwhp, but that's normal for a non-BAP Racetronix setup.
After reading your description. I would consider that the large diameter of the crossover, could be effecting the fuel pressure. It is the hole garden hose thing, with relation to pressure. You have a smaller hose and you get more pressure, you have a larger hose and you get more volume but less pressure (unless you turn it up). In your case the pump might be having problems maintaining the pressure with the increased volume, or capacity due to the diameter of the crossover. Could you simply try a smaller cross over tube (smaller braided hose). It seems like that would only take 20 mins to swap out. You could then go test your fuel pressure and see if it is still dropping at redline or what rpm it is losing pressure at.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:05 PM
RoadRebel
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys,

The cross over size being to large will not impact on fueling once the system is pressurized.
The pump flows way more fuel than is required by the injector etc and is returned via the regulator back to the tank. Its the regulators job to maintain that fuel pressure inside the rails and its location on the opposite side of the crossover will control just fine.
Liquid in uncompressable, once the line is filled on startup and controlled by the regulator, a line,rails or other being to large has no impact at all as it has NOT changed how much fuel is required to run the engine.

But, this can lead to long crank times to "charge the system". The short key on cycle from the PCM was designed to fill the stock rails etc.
If the regulator and pump have check valve to maintain pressures when disable, this will not be an issue.

Phil
Old 10-06-2004, 04:09 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ
After reading your description. I would consider that the large diameter of the crossover, could be effecting the fuel pressure. It is the hole garden hose thing, with relation to pressure. You have a smaller hose and you get more pressure, you have a larger hose and you get more volume but less pressure (unless you turn it up). In your case the pump might be having problems maintaining the pressure with the increased volume, or capacity due to the diameter of the crossover. Could you simply try a smaller cross over tube (smaller braided hose). It seems like that would only take 20 mins to swap out. You could then go test your fuel pressure and see if it is still dropping at redline or what rpm it is losing pressure at.
Yup, that was my thought exactly. Thing is, I'm already at 600rwhp and I already have a BAP in a box at the house. Racetronix pretty much flat out says their pump is good for up to 600rwhp and that's exactly what I'm hitting before the I start running out of the flamable stuff. I think the right move is to install the BAP anyway, then check pressure, and potentially tweak some of the plumbing after that. I don't know of anyone running a Racetronix at this power level that's not also BAPping the pump, so I feel a little naked without it. :o

Last edited by Tony @ MPH; 10-06-2004 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:30 PM
XCELER8
Le Mans Master

Cool, after reading all of this it makes me happy have a 97 car..
Still not sure if the boost-a-pump is ness. with over 600rwhp but its neat to see some of you converting to my setyp.
Jon
Old 10-06-2004, 04:56 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RoadRebel
Guys,

The cross over size being to large will not impact on fueling once the system is pressurized.
The pump flows way more fuel than is required by the injector etc and is returned via the regulator back to the tank. Its the regulators job to maintain that fuel pressure inside the rails and its location on the opposite side of the crossover will control just fine.
Liquid in uncompressable, once the line is filled on startup and controlled by the regulator, a line,rails or other being to large has no impact at all as it has NOT changed how much fuel is required to run the engine.

But, this can lead to long crank times to "charge the system". The short key on cycle from the PCM was designed to fill the stock rails etc.
If the regulator and pump have check valve to maintain pressures when disable, this will not be an issue.

Phil
Phil,
I would like to agree with you. However, I put an oil cooler circuit on my car with TTi setup and my oil pressure dropped from 35@ idle to 19@idle. When I took the stuff off, it went back up to 35@ idle. Essentially all that was added was more plumbing, would that not be the same as increasing the diameter of existing plumbing?? I thought the same thing as you, that being, that once the system was pressurized it would not matter...however that was not the case.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:44 PM
M_T_0
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the oil cooler added length to the supply line and causes a preasure drop due to resistance to flow, an increase in the size of the oil line (diameter) and/or a reduction of the resistance to flow caused by the cooler would pick up the psi.

In short more diameter in a fluid flow system helps reduce the psi drop as long as the flow volumn does not increase.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:08 PM
IM QUIKR
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by M_T_0
the oil cooler added length to the supply line and causes a preasure drop due to resistance to flow, an increase in the size of the oil line (diameter) and/or a reduction of the resistance to flow caused by the cooler would pick up the psi.

In short more diameter in a fluid flow system helps reduce the psi drop as long as the flow volumn does not increase.
I just spoke with Perma-cool and they tell me the resistance is increased within the cooler lines and would result in loss of idle pressure. A stronger oil pump would be advised.

Last edited by drcoffee; 10-06-2004 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:40 PM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MelloYellow
Thx!

Could you explain the bottom quote a bit more?
Is this something inherent stock? Which vacuum line causes the regulator to be boost referenced? Is this a 97-98 only characteristic?
Yea, that was confusing. It basically comes down to this. The stock regulator for 97/98 is referenced at 1:1 with boost (if it is hooked up so that it sees boost/vacuum). The confusing part is that the cars don't have the line plumbed into the intake manifold from the factory (this is what gives it a static fuel pressure). From the factory, the line is routed to the air filter area.

Anyway, hook it up to your intake manifold and you will get a 1psi rise in FP with each PSI of boost (this is a nice thing to have). It works great for me.

One other thing, I noticed in those old posts that I said I was not changing my IFR table. I have changed my mind on that and have it flat lined right now and it seems to work best this way. I've went back and fourth with that a few times trying to solve a problem, but it ended up being my 02 sensors instead.

Get notified of new replies

To Racetronix PnP FP Regulator vs. 97-98 Rail/Regulator Setup?

Old 10-07-2004, 12:19 AM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by drcoffee
I just spoke with Perma-cool and they tell me the resistance is increased within the cooler lines and would result in loss of idle pressure. A stronger oil pump would be advised.

I have the strongest oil pump available. A modified Katech Pump.

Hey Quick,
When I go to modify my fuel system what am I going to need to do now. I currently have 60lb mototrons, Kenne Bell BAP, and LPE (racetronix) Fuel Pump. I have not done anything else to my 01 fuel system other than what is described. I want 60psi when I go to tune. I just found out PTK is giving me the TE64s for my TT...they are good for 700hp a piece...although my motor is 8.95:1, with all the goodies..I never intended to run over 12-14lbs of boost..otherwise I would have O ringed or installed 1/2" studs.
Thanks
Old 10-07-2004, 07:36 AM
RoadRebel
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok..Time for some Physics..

Actually, I will post links to caculators to determine Reynolds #s for flow as well and pipe friction calculations.
You can read up and even do some sample tests on pipe diameter etc.
You can never argue with science and math. Well, except for UFO's, Ghosts and other supernatual phenomenons.

Pipe Friction

Reynolds Number

Phil
Old 10-07-2004, 09:32 AM
VETZILLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ
I have the strongest oil pump available. A modified Katech Pump.

Hey Quick,
When I go to modify my fuel system what am I going to need to do now. I currently have 60lb mototrons, Kenne Bell BAP, and LPE (racetronix) Fuel Pump. I have not done anything else to my 01 fuel system other than what is described. I want 60psi when I go to tune. I just found out PTK is giving me the TE64s for my TT...they are good for 700hp a piece...although my motor is 8.95:1, with all the goodies..I never intended to run over 12-14lbs of boost..otherwise I would have O ringed or installed 1/2" studs.
Thanks

Kevin,

If you decide to go with the 97 fuel rail w/ boost referenced regulator and a return line along with the other components you have fuel delivery will not be a problem. I have very similiar components with the exception of we installed a 8N braided steel fuel supply line with a big in-line filter and a 6N braided steel return line and fabricated some one off fittings at the fuel tank. I see no less than 60# of pressure at idle and fuel pressure increases 1:1 in conjunction with the amount of boost , at full boost I am at 75-78# on the f.p. gauge. I would have to say this setup is easily good for 800 plus h.p.

Quick Reply: Racetronix PnP FP Regulator vs. 97-98 Rail/Regulator Setup?