C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

distorted radio, squealing brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 12:50 PM
ezC6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default distorted radio, squealing brakes

Hi all,

If anyone has experience with either of these problems on the C6, let me know (related car info: Z51, Nav) :

1) My radio has been distorted/scratchy ever since I picked the car up over a week ago. I think it's a problem with the antenna, which is supposed to be integrated in the rear somewhere? I'm not sure if there's an easy fix or whether I should take it into the dealer.

2) My brakes have been squealing to the point of embarrassment for the entire 400 miles that I've had. I thought at first it was just because they were new but it's gotten worse. I've read about it elsewhere on the forum but am wondering whether it gets better or not.

I hesitate to take the car into the dealer and let them experiment with it since they have never worked on a C6 before and I don't want to be their first, so would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2004, 01:52 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Several C6 owners reported problem no. 1, but it was usually just the speakers in the left (driver's) door. At least one person who had the problem had to get the dealer to replace the speakers twice before it was right. The antenna is actually integrated into the rear fascia, according to your owner's manual.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the squealing brakes, except that someone who talked like they should know mentioned having that problem if the brakes weren't broken in VERY gently the first couple of hundred miles. Several C6s have also had this problem. Don't know if they found a solution or not.

At any rate, I'd still let my dealer know about both problems and start by trying to get him to fix both of them. Although you don't seem to have much confidence in your dealer's repair department, it's not like they would be working on the engine or transmission. I think you need to give them a chance to fix both problems (under warranty).

Here's a link to the squeaking brake discussion.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=916234

Last edited by Vette_DD; 10-04-2004 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Add link.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:17 PM
ezC6
Instructor

Thanks for the help RedC6Coupe.
I read about the speaker problem but my CD sounds great. It's only the radio that is causing that problem so I think it's related to the antenna.
Regarding the brakes, I was careful to break them in gently.
I will take your advice and take it in for service soon and post an update. Thanks again!
Old 10-04-2004, 03:22 PM
NOVAVETTE
Burning Brakes

Build #477 for my C6
Picked it up 9/7/04
250 miles on it so far.
No problems whatsoever so far - however, I'll be on the "lookout" for whats reported above and will post accordingly.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:20 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My radio has this problem unless I have an extremely strong signal. In the rural areas it isn't very usable. I have the same problem in the C5. CD audio is fine.

I can sit in my P/U and the radio in it sounds great ... so maybe an antenna issue in the new Vettes. In a larger town it seems to work OK.

Get notified of new replies

To distorted radio, squealing brakes

Quick Reply: distorted radio, squealing brakes