C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Road Racing Pics - Dial-up Beware!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 07:10 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C6 Road Racing Pics - Dial-up Beware!

I went to a local club event today where I am a Member (Professional Auto Sports Association or PASA) at Firebird Intl Raceway in Chandler. We were driving on the West Track, which is my favorite of the three at Firebird. I had the only C6 at the event, and it sure got a lot of attention there. I have quite a few pics, so I'll just start posting them and then I'll explain a little more about how the event went. (Car is still in one piece, thank God!) Here's me with the car before the 2nd session on the track:

And here is a picture of the cars lined up at the grid. The coordinators of the event were kind enough to put me at the front of the grid ahead of the traffic and flying debris, which was really

And here's a few on the track:

And a couple of my new C5 friends dicing it up:

In this session I ran in the middle of the pack, that was a little more unnerving at first, but soon I forgot about all of the car payments I have yet to make and drove it hard:

Dang! Got an error message that I have posted too many pictures.

Last edited by vetracer; 09-25-2004 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:25 PM
los7883
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How'd you do compared to the other cars???
Old 09-25-2004, 07:37 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like a fun time. Just post more pics as a reply.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:39 PM
gmcdougle
Instructor

Can you compare the C6 to a C5 or other Vette? I'm interested in what you thought of the car on the track. I took my 94 C4 to Melbourne and had a blast.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:42 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by los7883
How'd you do compared to the other cars???
The C6 has the power to run with the '03 and '04 Z06, I ran against these model year cars with some minor mods such as cold air intakes, cat-back systems and PCM programming. It was pretty much equal down the back straight, really came down to who got out of the corner better and shifted perfectly. I fell behind some in the turns, one guy was running slicks and T1 bars the other guy was the lead instructor with lots of track time, he had the T1 bars as well. Next time out I would like to at least have some better tires and I might even opt for the T1 bars when I can find a set. I wish I had some better pics with some of the other cars in them, but I was fortunate to get someone to take them for me.

I ran 3 20 minute sessions today driving the car pretty hard. Overall I'm pretty happy, but sometimes the shifter doesn't want to go into 4th gear. That killed me a few times on the back straight. Other than that, it ran just above 220 degrees in 100 degree heat. Still no match for my track car which is 20 years older but with a million mods is a whole lot faster:

Last edited by vetracer; 09-25-2004 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:07 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gmcdougle
Can you compare the C6 to a C5 or other Vette? I'm interested in what you thought of the car on the track. I took my 94 C4 to Melbourne and had a blast.
I've never driven a C5 on the track, but I rode in one today. I don't think the Z51 C6 is going to go out and stomp on any C5 Z06's that's for sure. But it will hang with them, and if the Z06's I ran with today were stock as my car is it would be a very interesting match. The great thing about the C6 is the torque that it makes down low allowed me to power through some of the turns and carry more speed than if I downshifted. One of the things I didn't like was that when I exited a tight turn and really got on the gas it felt as if the inside tire was spinning. (oh, and forget traction control or stability control - turn those off!) On my C4 both tires spin the same no matter what. Isn't the C6 rear a posi unit?
Old 09-26-2004, 10:06 AM
vetmts
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow ur C4 is incredible. can't wait to c what you'll do to ur C6. congrats
Old 09-26-2004, 01:18 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by vetracer
I went to a local club event today where I am a Member (Professional Auto Sports Association or PASA) at Firebird Intl Raceway in Chandler. We were driving on the West Track, which is my favorite of the three at Firebird. I had the only C6 at the event, and it sure got a lot of attention there. I have quite a few pics, so I'll just start posting them and then I'll explain a little more about how the event went. (Car is still in one piece, thank God!) Here's me with the car before the 2nd session on the track:

And here is a picture of the cars lined up at the grid. The coordinators of the event were kind enough to put me at the front of the grid ahead of the traffic and flying debris, which was really

And here's a few on the track:

And a couple of my new C5 friends dicing it up:

In this session I ran in the middle of the pack, that was a little more unnerving at first, but soon I forgot about all of the car payments I have yet to make and drove it hard:

Dang! Got an error message that I have posted too many pictures.
there goes your 3/36 warranty if GM sees this post.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:49 PM
M_C7
Burning Brakes

cool

i just started going to the track this year. ive only done 3 events

i cant wait to track mine.. but not this year ive got an event in october but im not gonna run my C6 (i just got it friday) im gonna run my 350z and start the new year off in my C6 for the VIR full course. cant wait

but i might autox it. in november wouldnt it be in A stock?
Old 09-26-2004, 02:54 PM
Got Vette?
Racer

why would gm pull your warranty for track racing????
Old 09-26-2004, 03:03 PM
M_C7
Burning Brakes

i dont know if they would now ive heard of this with other cars.
ive never heard of a case where GM did it.

i can see why some automakers might because of the excessive wear and tear.

for example mitsubishi launced a campaign to void warranites on alot of evos for just autoxing!. one guy was responsilbe for almost 8k of repair work. from i believe a blown turbo and something else. the company has been acussed of matching evo owners with SCCA memberships

like i said i dont know where GM stands on this issue.

most of the track days around my way are listed as high performance driving schools . with an instructor, these are the ones i do but there are time trial and solo events.

so there is variety of things that are track events i guess the individual circumstances would come into play for a warranty issue

Last edited by M_C7; 09-26-2004 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:29 PM
68roadster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 167 Likes on 104 Posts

Good work! Thanks for the picks!

I have always heard that active handling was best left on except for the likes of Fellows, O'Connel, Papis, etc.

Corvette clinches ALMS again
Old 09-26-2004, 05:56 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by clem zahrobsky
there goes your 3/36 warranty if GM sees this post.
They'll honor my warranty. I was just over in the Tech/Performance section, with the mods some of those guys are making you may want to "enlighten" them as well.

Last edited by vetracer; 09-26-2004 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:56 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 68roadster
Good work! Thanks for the picks!

I have always heard that active handling was best left on except for the likes of Fellows, O'Connel, Papis, etc.

Corvette clinches ALMS again
I'm not suggesting that my driving abilities are anywhere near those who you mentioned (although I was lucky enough to have Johnny O'Connell as my class instructor once at the Bondurant school long before he was driving a C5R) The active handling intervenes too much and too often. It is like the surging you get when your car is running out of fuel - by the time you get full power back the guy next to you has gained a car length. I would rather feel the car slide by the seat of my pants and make the corrections myself through either changes in throttle/braking or steering than have the computer step in and say "whoa, car is starting to slide and this can't be good. Let's shut this thing down for a second and get things back under control". I tried it first by just turning off the traction control, then again with the active handling off. Interestingly enough, when both are turned off the words "COMPETITION MODE" come up on the driver's DIC. In reference to my last post, just what type of "competitive" driving can you do on the street?

Last edited by vetracer; 09-26-2004 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:34 PM
joezr2
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm just a new guy who doesn't own a Corvette (yet ) but didn't the C5 owner's video have a whole section on what to do when you take the car to the track? i specifically remember them talking about adding a quart of oil, etc. Then they showed them running the car at Mid Ohio. (That in car video is on the Mid Ohio website, by the way)

My background would lead me to believe that it would be very hard to dispute a warranty claim due to racing alone unless it was a result of a specific incident like a crash. (By the way, your insurance policy won't cover that)

I obiously havent' seen the C6's video (if there is one) but I'd assume a similar thing exists.

Just my thoughts....

joe
Old 10-29-2004, 08:37 AM
smokeyburnouts
Burning Brakes

vetracer...cool pics. nice c6 and i love your C4. that thing looks sweet!!!!
Old 10-29-2004, 08:55 AM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Interesting thoughts and comparisons. Thanks for posting.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:12 AM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joezr2
I'm just a new guy who doesn't own a Corvette (yet ) but didn't the C5 owner's video have a whole section on what to do when you take the car to the track? i specifically remember them talking about adding a quart of oil, etc. Then they showed them running the car at Mid Ohio. (That in car video is on the Mid Ohio website, by the way)
Yes, but I don't know if the same recommendations apply to the C6. For example, the C6 has a redesigned oil pan that is supposed to allow for much greater cornering force and is supposed to eliminate the problem of oil starvation with high G's. You may not need the extra quart in the C6.

Mike
Old 10-30-2004, 12:29 AM
Z-Rated
Drifting

Very Cool !!!!!!!!!! Glad to see a C6 at the track !!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Road Racing Pics - Dial-up Beware!

Quick Reply: C6 Road Racing Pics - Dial-up Beware!