C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F55 completely inoperable in my C6 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 11:04 PM
prseasix
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default F55 completely inoperable in my C6 coupe

The server crashed when I posted this thread a minute ago...here's another try:

Since I've had my C6 for a few days now (two, to be exact!) I thought I'd share some major issues with my car.

First, the good...for the most part it's AWESOME!!!! I LOVE driving this car. Compared with my bone stock C5, the differences are dramatic.

The bad news...
1. The F55 is completely inoperable. After 850 miles of driving on rough roads, smooth roads, wavy roads, and curvy roads (the Tail Of The Dragon), there is absolutely no discernable difference between the Tour and Sport modes. I checked, and the spacers were removed from the car during prep.

2. The left front speaker in the door panel has a buzz which is similar to a broken voice coil. I don't detect it in the rear speaker, so I don't think it's the amp...probably a defective voice coil or connections.

3. The orange peel is atrocious on all horizontal surfaces. On the entire rear fascia and much of the front fascia, it's even worse. I'm going to ask for a repaint. Wish me luck!

Any suggestions as to how I can get these problems fixed would be appreciated! Thank you!
Old 09-13-2004, 11:12 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Not sure on the suspension. Speaker may have an amp built in. Repaint never holds up like the factory, it's the curing process.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:26 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

For sure I'd get my dealer to fix both 1. and 2. ASAP. Don't know what to suggest for no. 3. Haven't been keeping up with how & where everone got their car, but did you look at the paint job at all when you picked it up? Not sure what your recourse is if you didn't mention it at the time.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:29 PM
ZippoMan
Race Director

What causes orange peel? The C6s I looked at this weekend had some terrible orange peel.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:33 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The first 2 are simple warranty issues.
The third may just be a fine sanding and buffing. It is what should be tried first.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:36 PM
Chris Draper
Drifting

Location: Gilbert, Arizona Currently Own: 1998 Coupe YouTube: My Corvette Life
Received 494 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by ZippoMan
What causes orange peel? The C6s I looked at this weekend had some terrible orange peel.
Air in the pain while painting. Don't know why it's happening. As far as I know the process is the same is they did w/ the C5.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:38 PM
prseasix
Race Director

Originally Posted by TedG
The first 2 are simple warranty issues.
The third may just be a fine sanding and buffing. It is what should be tried first.
Thanks, Ted! Is this something that the local yokel dealership can do, or do I need to drive to a bigger city/larger dealership?
Old 09-13-2004, 11:41 PM
sorka
Melting Slicks

My understanding with the C5 is that he OP was caused due to static electricity build up which is far far worse on the plastic panels.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:44 PM
prseasix
Race Director

Originally Posted by sorka
My understanding with the C5 is that he OP was caused due to static electricity build up which is far far worse on the plastic panels.

That would certainly explain why it's noticably worse on the front/rear composite panels! I hadn't heard that until now, thanks!
Old 09-14-2004, 12:11 AM
TedG
Safety Car

Originally Posted by prseasix
Thanks, Ted! Is this something that the local yokel dealership can do, or do I need to drive to a bigger city/larger dealership?
Any decent body shop can do it. I am actually quite good at it, mostly it is a matter of the proper buffer, foam pads, and the proper compound and of course some 1000-2500 grit wet or dry paper. So if I can do it, most anybody can.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:11 AM
tome
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

I also have the F55 and can't feel any difference between Tour and Sport. Wonder what we should feel? I will try to contact some folks I know and see if they can describe what the difference should be.

Tom E
Brea,
Old 09-14-2004, 12:20 AM
prseasix
Race Director

Any decent body shop can do it. I am actually quite good at it, mostly it is a matter of the proper buffer, foam pads, and the proper compound and of course some 1000-2500 grit wet or dry paper. So if I can do it, most anybody can.
Is there a clear coat on the C6? If so, after you do the sanding, do you have to reapply the clear coat? And, do you recommend sanding it wet or dry?
Old 09-14-2004, 12:31 AM
TedG
Safety Car

Is there a clear coat on the C6? If so, after you do the sanding, do you have to reapply the clear coat? And, do you recommend sanding it wet or dry?
Yes there is a clear coat on the C6. I must be wet sanded with a small amout of dishwashing soap in the water. All that is done it the high spots are taken down to the low. You don't go through the clearcoat. Most orange peel is only a very slight varience is height between the high and low spots. Usually only a few strokes with 2500 grit paper will render it smooth and ready for buffing.The buffing take almost no material especially if you use foam pads. It actually slightly melts the surface and it flows back to a shine.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:40 AM
prseasix
Race Director

Yes there is a clear coat on the C6. I must be wet sanded with a small amout of dishwashing soap in the water. All that is done it the high spots are taken down to the low. You don't go through the clearcoat. Most orange peel is only a very slight varience is height between the high and low spots. Usually only a few strokes with 2500 grit paper will render it smooth and ready for buffing.The buffing take almost no material especially if you use foam pads. It actually slightly melts the surface and it flows back to a shine.
So, if it were your car, would you feel qualified to attack this project yourself? (By the way, how's the orange peel on YOUR car? )
Old 09-14-2004, 12:46 AM
prseasix
Race Director

Originally Posted by tome
I also have the F55 and can't feel any difference between Tour and Sport. Wonder what we should feel? I will try to contact some folks I know and see if they can describe what the difference should be.

Tom E
Brea,
Let me know what you find out! From what I've read, the F55 Tour mode vs the Sport mode has been described as ranging from a "Skyhook" (which I interpret to be an extremely smooth ride, almost as if the car were detached from the road surface) to a "Cadillac-esque" suspension on very smooth road surfaces...definitely contrary to my experience.

It's as if my car were permanently locked into the "Sport" mode...the ride is very rough, and the suspension/steering feel very tight, almost suitable for autocross...
Old 09-14-2004, 01:16 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Tom E
Brea,
I did a test drive in a 6 spd. F-55 and I could not tell the difference between the two settings Tour and Sport. But I didn't drive over potholes or torn up roads at the time. I have been going back and forth on this option so perhaps you guys that have had some problems with the F-55 can educate me. As this system is too new so there really isn't a track record of any repairs or replacement of the shocks which cost $589.00 each for the front shocks and the rear shocks cost $500 each and these are discounted prices from Ken Fictner as retail on these shocks are $750 a piece. But your 3 year warranty should cover the F-55 but after that no warranty will cover that item so you will be on your own. You can see why I am considering this option with some serious thought / expensive maintenance down the road as I tend to hang onto my cars. However, I live in a area that has bad roads pot holes bumpy roads roads that will shake a car apart. So Any input you guys have I appreciate it. Thanks and good luck on that repair it should be a warranty repair so don't worry..
Old 09-14-2004, 02:07 AM
TorqueWinsRaces
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by sorka
You've got to be kidding! Static electricity would be a very easy problem to fix- just ground the panels prior to painting them. I find it hard to believe that a GM engineer wouldn't have figured that out- but I could be wrong.

Get notified of new replies

To F55 completely inoperable in my C6 coupe

Old 09-14-2004, 02:13 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ZippoMan
The electrostatic paint process. As the charged paint partials start to build up it’s like the plates on a capacitor that are starting to separate do to thickness, the voltage increases to a point of discharge. That discharge is in the form of a spark and that spark causes heating of that area and a resultant melt leaving a small indent. A time photo of an electrostatically painted surface will show thousands of tiny sparks, i.e. Orange Peel. Why do that, well so the paint can be applied evenly over constantly changing shapes or contours.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:19 AM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

I also have the F55 and can't feel any difference between Tour and Sport......
I can't tell any difference with my 2003 Anniversary Red either. That's why I went with the Z51 for my C6. Besides, it will stop better, accelerate better, looks better, etc.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:47 AM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

The server crashed when I posted this thread a minute ago...here's another try:

Since I've had my C6 for a few days now (two, to be exact!) I thought I'd share some major issues with my car.

First, the good...for the most part it's AWESOME!!!! I LOVE driving this car. Compared with my bone stock C5, the differences are dramatic.

The bad news...
1. The F55 is completely inoperable. After 850 miles of driving on rough roads, smooth roads, wavy roads, and curvy roads (the Tail Of The Dragon), there is absolutely no discernable difference between the Tour and Sport modes. I checked, and the spacers were removed from the car during prep.

2. The left front speaker in the door panel has a buzz which is similar to a broken voice coil. I don't detect it in the rear speaker, so I don't think it's the amp...probably a defective voice coil or connections.

3. The orange peel is atrocious on all horizontal surfaces. On the entire rear fascia and much of the front fascia, it's even worse. I'm going to ask for a repaint. Wish me luck!

Any suggestions as to how I can get these problems fixed would be appreciated! Thank you!
OP is caused by the fact the paint dries too fast and does not get a chance to flow. it has something to do with the solvents they can't use today. i think the paint is water based

Quick Reply: F55 completely inoperable in my C6 coupe