Sponsored by:

GM Bulletin on Air Filters

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 08:42 PM
C5 in 2002
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GM Bulletin on Air Filters

Info- Automatic Transmission Shift, Engine Drivability Conserns or Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On as a Result of the Installation of an Aftermarket Reusable, Excessivly Oiled Air Filter #04-07-30-013 -(03/05/2004)

Found this at the Dealer this morning
Old 08-25-2004, 08:54 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

It's definitely been discussed here what an over-oiled Blackwing, K&N or other AM filter can do to your MAF wires. Being careful with the oil and keeping the wires clean is essential to a smooth-running engine. This is a good reminder and a good time for folks to check their MAF's to make sure they're getting the most out of the system.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:59 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

This came out earlier this year, and I don't blame them.

This doesn't prohibit aftermarket air filter-equipped cars from warranty coverage, it instructs the service personnel to check for an "excessively oiled" filter, and the resulting messed-ip MAF sensor to fix the problem and deny warranty if such is in fact the case.
If the MAF sensor is indeed contaminated, and is the cause of the problem, it's only right since it was not an error, failure, or design flaw of GM, why should they pay to fix your screw-up?

The only flaw with this bulletin is everything contained in that TSB other than the words "aftermarket air filter" seems to be forgotten and irrelevant, so many dealers pop the hood, see a non-stock filter, and say no...no warranty for you, whether it's related to this issue or not, and that is absolutely wrong.

Old 08-25-2004, 09:14 PM
C5 in 2002
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me
This came out earlier this year, and I don't blame them.

This doesn't prohibit aftermarket air filter-equipped cars from warranty coverage, it instructs the service personnel to check for an "excessively oiled" filter, and the resulting messed-ip MAF sensor to fix the problem and deny warranty if such is in fact the case.
If the MAF sensor is indeed contaminated, and is the cause of the problem, it's only right since it was not an error, failure, or design flaw of GM, why should they pay to fix your screw-up?

The only flaw with this bulletin is everything contained in that TSB other than the words "aftermarket air filter" seems to be forgotten and irrelevant, so many dealers pop the hood, see a non-stock filter, and say no...no warranty for you, whether it's related to this issue or not, and that is absolutely wrong.

I was warned that if anyone has an "Aftermarket Air Filter" and they had any problems that it would "Not be Covered"
Old 08-25-2004, 09:21 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by C5 in 2002
I was warned that if anyone has an "Aftermarket Air Filter" and they had any problems that it would "Not be Covered"
That isn't the case, and shouldn't be. GM is just covering their butts by identifying a common problem, and posting a solution to it.

It does not mean any unrelated problem can be denied because of an air filter. If you have to take your car in, have an aftermarket filter, and you aren't experiencing this particular MAF problem, and are denied warranty. fight them.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Bulletin on Air Filters

Quick Reply: GM Bulletin on Air Filters