C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[not for dial up] C6 pics inc. Victory Red from Atl. motor speedway

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 10:07 PM
MONICA@MAXIEPRICE
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Default [not for dial up] C6 pics inc. Victory Red from Atl. motor speedway

I had a great time at the class today! They had one of each color C6 except white & orange. They even had a Victory Red! The new red looks great! Similar to the torch red, but without the orange/yellow. Very much a true red.

The competion on the track with the C6 was a Z4 BMW, a 911, & a Boxster S. Hardly competiton at all! The Vette is so much easier to drive. I felt much more comfortabel in it like I was able to push the vette more into the turns then the others. I also got to drive the new 05 SSR with the LS2 engine.

I'll give everyone a full write up in the morning. In the meantime, here are some pictures.

Victory Red on the track.

This is a picture of me inside a Precision Red/red vert.

Inside the precision red. This class was on using the Nav system & the video camera was set up so we could watch what the instructor did on the screen.

Last edited by MONICA@MAXIEPRICE; 08-13-2004 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:09 PM
MONICA@MAXIEPRICE
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In VI Veteran

This was the first C6 vert made, VIN #003

Color combo chart

Cutaway LS2

Frame from the chasis class
Old 08-12-2004, 10:14 PM
MONICA@MAXIEPRICE
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In VI Veteran

I drove through the worst storm to get to Atla motor speedway. As I heard Dave Hill say before, "God must drive a Corvette" because the storm let up enough for us to drive these cars.

Yellow

Mag Red

Black
Old 08-12-2004, 10:15 PM
Hurricane

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

Great pictures!!!
Old 08-12-2004, 10:16 PM
MONICA@MAXIEPRICE
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In VI Veteran

precision red
Old 08-12-2004, 10:27 PM
Beaz
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 08-12-2004, 10:28 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Thanks for the great pictures, Monica. Looking forward to reading your report. Since I've decided to get the auto. w Z51 for an everyday driver on good roads, hope you can tell me how harsh the ride was (if you drove one).
Old 08-12-2004, 10:48 PM
my50thvette
Racer

Thanks for the pics! I'll check your report tomorrow.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:57 PM
kvozel
Safety Car

Location: Centerville OH "If we weren't all crazy we would go insane"
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
CI 3-4-5-6-7 & 9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

Way
Old 08-12-2004, 11:05 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Great Pictures. Did you get to take the red vert home with you?
Old 08-13-2004, 08:44 AM
Drache
Instructor

WOW!! Thanks so much, Monica!!
Old 08-13-2004, 08:46 AM
fubar
Heel & Toe

Fantastic pictures! The C6 makes the 911 look like a toy.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:54 AM
SDMF
Pro

Thanks, Monica, looking forward to your "book report!"
Old 08-13-2004, 09:06 AM
Hurricane

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

Monica,

How did Mag Red look in person on the C6? Did you like it?

Old 08-13-2004, 09:21 AM
383 Stroker
Safety Car

Thanks for the preview! Can't wait to read the official report!
Old 08-13-2004, 10:11 AM
Ginny C6
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 6-7-8-9-10-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Which one is the Mag Red?
OOPS! I didn't read the captions describing the colors!

Last edited by kcart; 08-13-2004 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Didn't read captions
Old 08-13-2004, 10:15 AM
01MY74CvGray
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

Great photos! As always, Thank you Monica for sharing!

Get notified of new replies

To [not for dial up] C6 pics inc. Victory Red from Atl. motor speedway

Old 08-13-2004, 11:02 AM
bramwellt
Racer

Originally Posted by fubar
Fantastic pictures! The C6 makes the 911 look like a toy.
Makes the Silver Boxter in one of the later photos look even worse!!!
Old 08-13-2004, 11:03 AM
MONICA@MAXIEPRICE
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In VI Veteran

I had to wake up at 4am to head down to the Atlanta Motor Speedway, but I felt like a kid getting up the morning of their trip to Disney World. I was excited & didnt feel sleepy at all. It was still dark when I got to Atlanta except for the occaisonal stike of lighting. The rain & traffic had started at about the same time & I started worrying if I would be able to drive on the track at all. By the time I got to the track, the sun was starting to come out & there was just a little drizzle.

The first thing we did was have breakfat & get registered. We then went into the orientation session where they highlighted what we would learn that day about the C6 & SSR. They showed the two new ads featuring the C6 & we've seen both on the forum. One was the "dream" commercial & the other was the ad with the US Olymic swimmer. Both will be aired tonight during the opening ceremonies of the Olymics so make sure to watch! We were then broken up into groups of about 20-30 people.

My first class was Corvette Navigation/Personalization workshop & had a very pretty precision red/red/black convertible on display. Having never really used a Nav system before, I really learned alot in this class. The Nav system consists of two buttons - hard & soft. The hard buttons are the actual menu buttons to the left of the Nav screen. The soft buttons are the onscreen touch buttons. You can enter a destination by typing in the city, name of location, street address or by selecting the catagory under points of interest (POI). You can select up to 5 "way points" or stops along the way. You can view the map in 2D or 3D views with all the angles along those planes. You can also view turn by turn directions & using the street mode of the HUD will show you when to turn. The Nav has the ability to recognize voice commands. Looking for a restuarant, press the mic hard button & say "I'm hungry" to see restaurant icons along your route. Have a craving for Mongolian Beef? Say "chinese restuarnt" & the closest stir fry is marked on you map. If you say McDonalds, you'll get an "M" icon! The system stores up to 100 of your last locations & you can delete them. The DVD is updated yearly. You do not have to get a new one unless you feel the area you travel in has changed. The DVD will cost about $150.

We also learned how to personalize the DIC to show the drivers name (up to 20 characters), how the three different HUDs look, that if you leave the key FOB in the car after its been turned off a horn beeps 3 times, and how to work the power top. I got to take down the power top & it was very easy & a very fast 18 seconds. It looked very cool from inside the vette. I think the power top is a cool feature & that the Nav would be worth it if you traveled a lot or got lost easily.

My next stop was Corvette Interior/Exterior Workshop. In this class, they had the very first C6 convertible on display, VIN #003. It was LeMans Blue/cashmire/cashmire. Most of what was covered & this class would not be new to readers of the forum. The instructor went over the window indexing, Xenon exposed headlights, & speedline 18 and 19 inch wheels. Few things that were new to me (may not be new to you) - the DIC gives you a 30 day warning when the battery is getting low in the Key Fob, the vert antenna is located in the tail light area, how to get into the vette if the FOB fails or your battery dies, & that the FOB works in a 3 feet proximity with 5 antennas.

Next class was Chassis/Powertrain Workshop. On display was a cut-away engine, tires & a frame. Here we basically covered what materials were used, how they got to 186 mph, improvments made in engineering etc.

Finally it was time for lunch. We were treated to a true southern menu of fried chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, sweet tea & a brownie. Just the fuel we need for the track!

The couse was set up on the infield of the track. First few turns were two slow right hand turns into a three turn slalom on the back which open up into a nice fast stretch before a slow down into a hairpin turn, few quick turns & the stopping area. We has to wear helmets, which was always a good sign! The instructors were some of the best from racing school across the country like Panoz & Bragg so we were in good hands. The instructors were good to help with their thoughts on how to take turns & what to look for on the course. On the track ready to go were C6 coupes in silver, yellow, black, mag red, precision red & victory red! They had all three suspensions & both autos & 6 speeds available. The competition included two 911s, two BMW Z4 3.0is with hardtops & two Boxster S with hardtops.

The first thing I drove was a manual Boxster S. It's one I have driven before & I thought it would be a good way to learn the course. The Boxster is a good handling car, but slow. I did feel comfortable going around the track but it lacked a fun factor that comes with speed.

Next thing I drove was an auto C6 with the F55 Magnetic Ride Control. It was quick off the line, as you would expect. The C6 felt comfortable & familiar & I knew what it was capable of, but you could tell a big difference in speed. The slalom was an easy flip of the wrist around & the hairpins felt like the car was on rails. The ride was smooth & over too fast!

Next up was the BMW Z4 3.0i. In my opinion, this was an ugly car made uglier by the track required hard top. First thing I noticed was the clutch was very soft & unresponsive. Around the corners, it felt twitchy & I had to slow down because I felt like it would break loose. It was also really hard to get into it with a helmet on & I'm only 5'6. Not impressed at all.

I then drove the 911. The 911 is a car I enjoy driving. The inside is refined but not as roomy as the vette. The take off wasnt very quick at all. I was surprised how badly it handled around the last hairpin. The driver had one hand on the emergency break & the other on the "oh s*$t handle" which is never a good sign. No confidence in me at all! I think a better comparison would of been a C4 which has all wheel drive & much better handling. For the price difference I dont understand why people pick a 911 over a Vette.

I saved the best for last & got into a 6 speed C6 coupe with the Z51 package. I launched it off the line & went easy into the first few turns & slalom, opening up out of the last slalom gate. The vette sprung to life in a heartbeat but I quickly had to drop a gear into the hair pin. the ride was over way to fast. What I like about the vette besides its agressiveness was the factr the I knew the vette was sticking to road. That confidence allows you to push the car even more & still stay on the road not in the dirt. The Z51 was responsive but not rough. If you like to have the abilty to push your vette to its max, dont hesitate to get the Z51. I know I would get it!

We then started our SSR classes including a timed autocross competition. The SSR was impressive with the new LS2 engine at 390 HP & a 6 speed available in Novemeber. Since this report is long enough, I wont go into detail.

At the end of the day, we gathered again in the main room to take our certification tests. We got to take home a poster, nice black C6 hat, a salesperson details book, training tour guildbook, C6/SSr pen & a C6 emblem pin. This was by far the best GM training class I have been too & I met a lot of nice people from other dealers across the country.

To those of you waiting for your C6 I dont know how you sleep at night waiting for such an amazing car. I hope your order comes in fast because you have to drive this car! If anyone has any questions about what we learned, please feel free to ask me. I took a lot of notes & didnt go over everything we learned. I'll be glad to try to answer yor question or go into more details about anything I can.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:06 AM
TedG
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the pictures. That Precision Red looks great. It is amazing how crappy the 911 looks next to a C6. It looks like a basic run of the mill rental car. Standing alone the 911 looks ok, but next to the Vette it pales in comparison.

Quick Reply: [not for dial up] C6 pics inc. Victory Red from Atl. motor speedway