C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 rotors interchangeable with C5?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 02:13 AM
Steve in Seattle
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 rotors interchangeable with C5?

I've read the base level C6 rotors are still 12.8" in diameter, however I'm having problems finding their width and offset.

Anyone know if the C6 rotors are interchangeable with C5 rotors? If so us guys with C5 brakes could use the new rotor design (apparently the C6 rotors are 2 pounds heavier, and much more durable).
Old 09-02-2004, 03:36 PM
AZ99FRC
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

TTT

Good question....anybody know?
Old 09-02-2004, 05:23 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Steve in Seattle
I've read the base level C6 rotors are still 12.8" in diameter, however I'm having problems finding their width and offset.

Anyone know if the C6 rotors are interchangeable with C5 rotors? If so us guys with C5 brakes could use the new rotor design (apparently the C6 rotors are 2 pounds heavier, and much more durable).
Corvette Museum website says the non-Z51 front rotors are 12.8 in. in dia. and are 1.26 in. thick, while the rear rotors are 12.0 in. in dia. and 1.0 in. thick. The Z51 front rotors are 13.4 in. in dia. and are 1.26 in. thick, while the rear rotors are 13.0 in. in dia. and 1.0 in. thick. No info. about offset.

The special edition of Corvette Quarterly says each Z51 front rotor is 3.74 lb. heavier than in the C5, while each rear rotor is 6.17 lb heavier than in the C5.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:16 PM
snaketr
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No the offset on the rotors are different
Old 09-03-2004, 04:49 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got done looking at the brakes on a Z51 C6 and they look much better than the C5's. To use the rotors, though, you'd also need to get the new calipers, which I am told will bolt up. ABS may be a problem, though, according to another post I saw. The parts guy here said the front calipers were $170ea, which sounds good to me. Don't know about the rotors yet but I heard they weren't bad either.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:43 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by tcmc5
Just got done looking at the brakes on a Z51 C6 and they look much better than the C5's. To use the rotors, though, you'd also need to get the new calipers, which I am told will bolt up. ABS may be a problem, though, according to another post I saw. The parts guy here said the front calipers were $170ea, which sounds good to me. Don't know about the rotors yet but I heard they weren't bad either.
They aren't much better, holes are for looks only and the calipers are the same. Now when we can get the C6 Z51 rotors without holes, then that would be a worthy upgrade, but hard core C5 racers have not had problems with the rotors, the calipers are the weak link.

All things being equal an increase in rotor diameter gives a very small break torque advantage.

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...ons_122701.htm
Old 09-03-2004, 06:37 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Originally Posted by CPT Z06
They aren't much better, holes are for looks only and the calipers are the same. Now when we can get the C6 Z51 rotors without holes, then that would be a worthy upgrade, but hard core C5 racers have not had problems with the rotors, the calipers are the weak link.

All things being equal an increase in rotor diameter gives a very small break torque advantage.

You may be right about the holes being just for show but I hope not. Just looking at the rotors it seems to me that while they could be mainly cosmetic they should also offer some degree of coolng benefit. I don't know how much heavier the new rotors are but with their increased size/mass they look like they'll dissipate heat more effectively than the C5 units. I couldn't get a real good look at the calipers but they also looked beefier, especially the front. (BTW I agree completely that the caliper is the weak link on the C5. Mine have started flexing badly and need to be replaced.) Whether the C6 brakes actually work better on the track will be the true test. Hopefully we won't have to wait very long to find out.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:04 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by tcmc5
You may be right about the holes being just for show but I hope not. Just looking at the rotors it seems to me that while they could be mainly cosmetic they should also offer some degree of coolng benefit. I don't know how much heavier the new rotors are but with their increased size/mass they look like they'll dissipate heat more effectively than the C5 units. I couldn't get a real good look at the calipers but they also looked beefier, especially the front. (BTW I agree completely that the caliper is the weak link on the C5. Mine have started flexing badly and need to be replaced.) Whether the C6 brakes actually work better on the track will be the true test. Hopefully we won't have to wait very long to find out.
I am right about the holes.

For many years most racing rotors were drilled. There were two reasons - the holes gave the "fireband" boundary layer of gasses and particulate matter someplace to go and the edges of the holes gave the pad a better "bite".

Unfortunately the drilled holes also reduced the thermal capacity of the discs and served as very effective "stress raisers" significantly decreasing disc life. Improvements in friction materials have pretty much made the drilled rotor a thing of the past in racing. Most racing rotors currently feature a series of tangential slots or channels that serve the same purpose without the attendant disadvantages.

http://www.baer.com/Support/FAQ.aspx#1
Although crossdrilling and/or slotting will provide a welcome path to expend any gasses when and if they develop, it is primarily a visual enhancement behind today’s often wide-open wheel designs.

Last edited by LTC Z06; 09-03-2004 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:28 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I couldn't get a real good look at the calipers but they also looked beefier, especially the front.
Nope calipers are the same PBR calipers on the C5. The mounting brackets may a bit different to accomidate the larger rotors for the Z51.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:45 AM
tcmc5
Drifting

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Nope calipers are the same PBR calipers on the C5. The mounting brackets may a bit different to accomidate the larger rotors for the Z51.
They may be made by the same company but they are not the same caliper that's on the C5; similar but not the same. RT article I saw today said they'd stiffened them up, a needed improvement IMHO.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 rotors interchangeable with C5?

Quick Reply: C6 rotors interchangeable with C5?