C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looks like our NAV system is rated highly

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 02:15 PM
DarkSky
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an Alpine nav system in my Lamborghini and hate it. In our family we also have a nav system in our Jag and Navigator and the C6 ranks best with me.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:20 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Outstanding!!!!!
Old 03-13-2005, 02:22 PM
Alex Levy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Another Yellow
That's great news. I have been very pleased by the Navigation system that Toyota uses. Any idea if Denso manufactures this one. Thanks for posting.
The one made for the Lexus is "Mark Levinson" and was the best OEM nav i had seen until i got the new one from Denso. The Mark Levinson (which also finds its way into acura's under a different branding) is terrific.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:27 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

I had the nav system in 3 consecutive Lexus GS's. I don't mind the Corvette one, but I think the Lexus system was better. I do like the 3D view however.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:55 PM
LGTSOTR
Instructor

Originally Posted by Daemon Motorsports
The one made for the Lexus is "Mark Levinson" and was the best OEM nav i had seen until i got the new one from Denso. The Mark Levinson (which also finds its way into acura's under a different branding) is terrific.
Mark Levinson is an audio company and doesn't make nav systems. The brand itself is owned by the Madrigal Corporation, who also owns Proceed, Harman Kardon, Revel, and Lexicon. In turn, Madrigal is owned by Harman Internatonal.

I believe the Lexus Nav might be made by Becker, which is also owned by Harman International. Or perhaps it is still a Denso. Denso's website claims Lexus as an end-user.

Last edited by LGTSOTR; 03-13-2005 at 02:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-13-2005, 03:53 PM
VANISH
Racer

how can you get the Corvette logo to stay on the screen?
The Corvette logo will only stay on when you push in the **** that controls the volume. This turns everything off and the logo shows.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:59 PM
austinC6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeyc6
I'm one of only two people (so far) who thinks the nav in the C6 is horrible.

I've owned three navs and the C6 is by far the worst. The other two I'm comparing to are the nav in a Chrysler Town & Country and the Magellan RoadMate 700 that I had in my C5. The C6 nav gets confused on the same roads that the others had no trouble with, often putting you on the wrong road and miscalculating directions when other roads are near the one you are on, or when you pass over another road that isn't even connected (it should know the roads aren't connected).

It also misunderstands voice commands even when the words are said succinctly and separately, and then you have to refer to the manual to figure out how to reverse the command that it just misinterpretted. The touch screen interface is simply horrible, with a lot of functions completely inaccessible through anything but a voice command. I really wish they had done a better job at structuring the menus and I definitely wish they had made all commands accessible from the touch screen rather than forcing you to memorize 120 voice commands.

The worst thing though is that it gets confused often, something my other navs never did. The nav has some cool features, but is just barely usable for me. Even when calculating an initial route, it often takes you off a main highway, onto a dirt road for 100 feet, and then back on the highway for no reason at all other than the fact that the roads are close together and it liked the dirt road better than the bend in the highway at that point. Very annoying when you don't know the area well.

Mike
I don't know if I'm the "other guy" you refer to, but I agree with you. I've had two other NAV systems (both Garmin) and they were much more accurate and reliable. The voice recognition on the C6 is a joke.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:02 PM
stlthxlr8r
Racer

I've owned three navs and the C6 is by far the worst. The other two I'm comparing to are the nav in a Chrysler Town & Country and the Magellan RoadMate 700 that I had in my C5. The C6 nav gets confused on the same roads that the others had no trouble with, often putting you on the wrong road and miscalculating directions when other roads are near the one you are on, or when you pass over another road that isn't even connected (it should know the roads aren't connected).

It also misunderstands voice commands even when the words are said succinctly and separately, and then you have to refer to the manual to figure out how to reverse the command that it just misinterpretted. The touch screen interface is simply horrible, with a lot of functions completely inaccessible through anything but a voice command. I really wish they had done a better job at structuring the menus and I definitely wish they had made all commands accessible from the touch screen rather than forcing you to memorize 120 voice commands.

The worst thing though is that it gets confused often, something my other navs never did. The nav has some cool features, but is just barely usable for me. Even when calculating an initial route, it often takes you off a main highway, onto a dirt road for 100 feet, and then back on the highway for no reason at all other than the fact that the roads are close together and it liked the dirt road better than the bend in the highway at that point. Very annoying when you don't know the area well.

Mike
Overall I dont regret getting the NAV. I generally like it but I must agree that it has a nasty habit of taking you "the long way around". For example, today I was in Manhasset NY (Long Island) and wanted to go see my son at Hofstra University in Hempstead NY. I know the way but figured "lets try the Nav". Anyways, it bypassed the exit for the school (clearly marked by a sign) and wanted to take me about 3 more miles south to come back around and go North again. (I know what you're thinking: the route setting was dictating the round about way - but I had it set for shortest route and all highway - which it was). Another time it took me to a dead end street and insisted that I continue (basically over a cliff and down to the road below). As I stated it is generally accurate but I dont know how comfortable I would be to trust it entirely in an area which is unfamiliar. On the plus side it is very cool how it integrates with the HUD. Also I have found that it can be reprogrammed as you are driving unlike what others have stated.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:50 PM
QikTimes
Advanced

Originally Posted by stlthxlr8r
Overall I dont regret getting the NAV. I generally like it but I must agree that it has a nasty habit of taking you "the long way around". For example, today I was in Manhasset NY (Long Island) and wanted to go see my son at Hofstra University in Hempstead NY. I know the way but figured "lets try the Nav". Anyways, it bypassed the exit for the school (clearly marked by a sign) and wanted to take me about 3 more miles south to come back around and go North again. (I know what you're thinking: the route setting was dictating the round about way - but I had it set for shortest route and all highway - which it was). Another time it took me to a dead end street and insisted that I continue (basically over a cliff and down to the road below). As I stated it is generally accurate but I dont know how comfortable I would be to trust it entirely in an area which is unfamiliar. On the plus side it is very cool how it integrates with the HUD. Also I have found that it can be reprogrammed as you are driving unlike what others have stated.

How can you reprogram the nav while driving??? I would love this.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:17 PM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Datawiz
I had the nav system in 3 consecutive Lexus GS's. I don't mind the Corvette one, but I think the Lexus system was better. I do like the 3D view however.
I've had a Honda and Lexus nav system and the Honda was more accurate and I liked it better. The Lexus had a recall in my area due to inaccurracies...many of which I had noticed...but it was supposedly just in a fairly small area. Overall, they are both decent and beat the holy heck out of trying to navigate with Map Quest or something. I'm not going to have another car without one and my 06 C6 will definitely have it.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:15 PM
KISSfn
Pro

Originally Posted by TedG
Question, how can you get the Corvette logo to stay on the screen?
I don't think just turning off the radio power will do it. The only way I know of is to press the hard key that gets you to the screen adjustment screen. Then touch the "screen off" button. Then when you restart the car, the logo stays on as long as you want until you turn the radio or nav on.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:39 PM
stlthxlr8r
Racer

Originally Posted by QikTimes
How can you reprogram the nav while driving??? I would love this.
I was driving the car. My passenger hit menu, deleted the current destination, hit enter destination, etc and we picked "home". The NAV recalculated the course and started guidance.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:38 PM
KISSfn
Pro

You can enter your "home", the five numbered presets , and up to sixty of your most recent previous destinations while moving.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:07 PM
skfurr
Racer

Originally Posted by KISSfn
You can enter your "home", the five numbered presets , and up to sixty of your most recent previous destinations while moving.
Correct! But you cannot enter a new (uncharted) destination, nor can you do a point of interest search (say for a restaurant) without coming to a complete stop. You can route to anything you can see on the screen (when in 1/4 mile zoom or closer) by touching it and hitting the "target" icon.

But as far as driving down the interstate and having the passenger do a search for McDonalds, forget it... major shortcoming in my opinion.

Stephen
Old 03-15-2005, 12:32 AM
robh1
Advanced

That makes 3 of us. It's the worst nav I've ever come across but I'd say the same about the "premium" stereo, FM reception and XM sound quality. Live and learn. Next time, I'm going after-market on all of it. Other than this, I love my C6!
Old 03-15-2005, 02:46 AM
catpat8000
Pro

Originally Posted by FunDriver
I've had a Honda and Lexus nav system and the Honda was more accurate and I liked it better. The Lexus had a recall in my area due to inaccurracies...many of which I had noticed...but it was supposedly just in a fairly small area. Overall, they are both decent and beat the holy heck out of trying to navigate with Map Quest or something. I'm not going to have another car without one and my 06 C6 will definitely have it.
A NAV system's accuracy will depend entirely on the
accuracy of the DVD containing the geographic database. If the system appears inaccurate, it is the
database that has the problem, not the NAV system itself.

Most companies offer new DVDs for sale every year or
two, to correct these inaccuracies.

Pat
Old 03-15-2005, 03:34 AM
aggie88
Drifting

Default Toyota Nav

Originally Posted by Another Yellow
That's great news. I have been very pleased by the Navigation system that Toyota uses. Any idea if Denso manufactures this one. Thanks for posting.
I did not get NAV in my C6 since it is a weekend car. But I have it in my wife's Sienna and my ML320. I like the MB system better than the Toyota's. In the MB, the forward direction is always pointing straight up. On the Toyota, up on the screen is always North. So when I am driving South, I can barely see where I am going on the screen since the street name title box obscures the bottom 1/4 of the screen. Does the C6 NAV have this problem too?

Get notified of new replies

To looks like our NAV system is rated highly

Old 03-15-2005, 09:19 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by austinC6
I don't know if I'm the "other guy" you refer to, but I agree with you. I've had two other NAV systems (both Garmin) and they were much more accurate and reliable. The voice recognition on the C6 is a joke.

I be #3

The unit is not up to speed for a $50K car. It is very good in areas and when it gets lost because the map data is too old, hang on to your ... This is especially bad if you are traveling in a strange area and you are relying on the unit.

Additionally, the low res screen they chose is a poor feature. It should have had a much higher resolution in a $50K car.

The unit is nicely integerated with the HUD and the voice guide is very nice and it is timely. When the unit has good data it works well.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:20 PM
KISSfn
Pro

Originally Posted by aggie88
I did not get NAV in my C6 since it is a weekend car. But I have it in my wife's Sienna and my ML320. I like the MB system better than the Toyota's. In the MB, the forward direction is always pointing straight up. On the Toyota, up on the screen is always North. So when I am driving South, I can barely see where I am going on the screen since the street name title box obscures the bottom 1/4 of the screen. Does the C6 NAV have this problem too?
With the C6 nav you have the options of North always up, your car's direction of travel always moving up with the map rotating as you turn, or in dual map mode you can have both views at the same time, one on the left side map and the other on the right side map!
Old 03-15-2005, 12:25 PM
antoniopaolo
Drifting

Thanks for the info. I have been pleased with the performance of my Nav. system and I indicated such in the J.D. Power survey I completed not long ago.

Quick Reply: looks like our NAV system is rated highly