C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Engine dies

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 03:53 PM
lambolarry
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine dies

Can anyone help me on this, so I don't have to pay the dealer. I have a 1998 Automatic, it will run for 10 minutes great, and put in reverse it's ok, but when you put into drive, it goes about 2 foot then engine dies. It is stating "steering colum lock". I had it in for the recall 11/02. Someone told me it is the model in the steering colum, about $400. I dont' think I should have to pay. It's being towed to the dealer. Any insite on a recall number, so I don' t have to pay. This car has been in the shop about 8 times for various things, I ready to sell it. It's aways something with this car. When you first stick the key in, shows "remove and reinsert key in 10 seconds". I have tried both keys, it will run, then the engine dies when put in drive.

Thanks.
Larry
Old 07-26-2004, 11:18 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a look in the TECH Section:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...D=30&TopicID=1
Old 07-27-2004, 10:31 PM
lambolarry
Intermediate

Default Engine dies/ news

Bad news, dealer called, said it will cost $915.75 to fix problem, and not sure if it that will get rid of the "steering column lock" message displayed. They said water leaked in the front cowl, and I need 1. New relay. 2. New blower motor. 3. Take dash out, access cowl,reseal the area 8.5 hour job. And this may take care of the problem. It may we wet they said around the steering column and shorting out the relays there. That is why the dash has to come out, to dry out the whole dash area. I want the relay only, they said "we cannot let the car leave here like that", then it will rain,get wet again and ruin the relay. I think once the leaves are out, then it wont' overflood. WHAT SHOULD I DO????? I don't have $915, I'm trying to buy a house and my credit cards are too high as it is. Send me an email at lambolarry@email.msn.com, and I'll send you pics of the 98 Red/Tan Convertible Auto, 48,000 mi. I'll sell it for $28,000, has lots of mods. About 400hp.

Larry/ Clearwater FLorida.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:59 AM
lambolarry
Intermediate

Going back to the dealer again today. Yesterday(Wed) service manager said leaves have clogged up the drain holes in the cowl area(how do leaves get in there? looks impossible to me and my friends). Service manager said he's just going by notes of the mechanic, I'll talk to the mechanic today. They said they can't let the car leave (by GM Standards) by just putting in the new $31.75 relay. They want to take the whole dash out, reseal everything, and put a new blower motor in. $900.00+ . Could be part of the problem with the a/c drainage hole(that gets clogged/I read a thread on that here) that's not letting water out either.

Larry
Old 07-31-2004, 02:34 AM
lambolarry
Intermediate

End of this thread. I picked up the Vette, spoke with the mechanic yesterday and told him to just clean the leaves out, he said both sides of the front cowl get clogged with leaves, he's seen this a lot. Also said leak did not effect computer. It cost $260.00 I was glad to get it out. The blower motor was sqeeking on the way home, I sprayed the bottow bearing with WD 40 and it stopped. WIll have to hit with lithium, figure I'll get 5-7 years before bearing goes out and I have to replace. Hoping and figuring that the car won't leak again.
Thanks,
Larry

Get notified of new replies

To Engine dies

Quick Reply: Engine dies