C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt needed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 11:06 AM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Belt needed?

I was out doing a timing/carb setup and a question about my drive belts occurred to me.

My car has had the A/C removed, smog pump is gone and recently the power steering was revoved and swapped for a manual setup. Right now there is only one drive belt on the car--for the alternator.

That belt runs around the crank sprocket, water pump and alternator. I have two empty grooves on the remaining pulleys, one on the crank and one on the water pump.

I was wondering wiether it would be a good idea to try and size a belt to go around the pulleys between the water pump and crank as a safety measure in case the alternator belt breaks.

I know there would be no adjustment there, but just having the alternator belt looks just a little iffy.

Thoughts?
Old 07-22-2004, 11:12 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Mine came with double pulleys on the w/p and crank and it has a second belt between the w/p and crank. You have to pull the w/p pulley off a little to get the belt on. I do not know the exact belt or length.

And yes I do think it is a good idea to have a second belt, if you throw the alt belt at least you will have the w/p working and there is little chance that belt will throw since you have 50% coverage on both pulleys.

Last edited by Fevre; 07-22-2004 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:30 AM
The Dude
Race Director

Thought so myself.

It seems some 'Vettes came with a water pump belt and others didn't, according to my AIM. No place around here lists that belt for any '76, '77, or '78 'Vette. I had to measure and then try several.

34.5" worked perfectly for me and my crank/water pump pulleys. That could be a starting point for other folks, I guess.

Last edited by The Dude; 07-23-2004 at 07:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Belt needed?

Quick Reply: Belt needed?