C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP car won't start

Old 07-21-2004, 08:20 PM
James B
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Default HELP car won't start

I recently completed my auto to manuel conversion. I wanted to start the car before I took it off of the jack stands but now when I turn the key it will not start. It will turn "on" where all the lights work but when I turn the key to the crank position nothing happens, not even a click. A few things I did not reconnect that may affect it.

When I took the Auto shifter off I left the plugs and wires there in the console. One of the wires includes the automatic neutral safety switch. I did not put one on for the Manuel transmission because I didn't think it would matter. So under the dash there is a plug that has thick purple w/ white stripe wires coming out of it and it is not plugged into anything.

Also there is no reverse lock out cable on the car because I have a hurst shifter and I took the old one off of the automatic.

The ground that runs from the starter to the bell housing to engine bolt on the passenger side was not initially put on but when I realized I forgot it I ran the bolt back out and put it on. I did not put it between the bellhousing and engine block. I put it between the bolt and the bell housing. Does that matter?

Thanks for the help. Any responses will be helpful
Old 07-21-2004, 08:24 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

will the engine crank at the starter
Old 07-21-2004, 09:03 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

You have to connect the purple wires in order for it to start. These same wires are used for the clutch switch on a manual car. If you want to overide this just connect the two purple wires together and it will start.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:21 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and post
Old 07-21-2004, 09:36 PM
INTIMIDATOR ZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gordonm
You have to connect the purple wires in order for it to start. These same wires are used for the clutch switch on a manual car. If you want to overide this just connect the two purple wires together and it will start.
You could put a toggle switch in between the wires so no one would be able to steal it.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:47 AM
James B
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

THanks alot gordanm. It worked great! I think I may get a switch, that would be a pretty cool anti theft device.

James
Old 07-22-2004, 06:40 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by James B
THanks alot gordanm. It worked great! I think I may get a switch, that would be a pretty cool anti theft device.

James
That is exactly what I did on my first car. It was a 70 Camaro that was an auto that I changed to a stick. Hid the toggle switch, a cheap cutoff switch!
Old 07-22-2004, 06:54 AM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Gordon: Thanks for that info!!! I am thinking about going with a stick conversion and this will solve a possible future problem

JamesB: Can you post on my auto-to-stick thread my question about problems you might have had?

Thanks,
Dep

Get notified of new replies

To HELP car won't start

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP car won't start