Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 SCCA solo2 (autocross) classification

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 08:00 PM
antigrav
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 SCCA solo2 (autocross) classification

Assuming that the C6 eventually gets classified by the SCCA as a SS class vehicle for the purposes of Solo competition, when during the 2004 or 2005 season would this happen?

In the meantime, what class would the C6 compete in?

ASP or SM2?

Would the timeline for the C6 Z06 be the same, albeit one year later, or would it be immediately allowed upon introduction in the same class as the base C6?

Am thinking about putting a deposit down on a C6 Z06. In the meantime, have been autocrossing the '01 Z06 for a year now and really enjoy that. If I do buy a new Z06 towards the end of 2005, was curious if that would land me in the OSP class (which has an extremely difficult index) for just the end of the '05 season, or all through '05 and '06.

thanks,

-ag
Old 07-21-2004, 10:37 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Good Luck !

the C6 is slower than the Z06 !!!!!!!!!!!!

No 19" R-Compound Tires available yet

The C6 will probably go in SS

It will get smoked !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-21-2004, 10:48 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
Good Luck !

the C6 is slower than the Z06 !!!!!!!!!!!!

No 19" R-Compound Tires available yet

The C6 will probably go in SS

It will get smoked !!!!!!!!!!!!!

This will be interesting, I'm waiting to see how they do in competition before deciding whether or not to get one. HP is comparable, narrower stance may be an issue, lack of R rated tires is a big disadvantage. No weight advantage. In autocross it's not about HP, it's about cornering stability and driver ability. Can't wait to see how they perform in competition.

Old 07-24-2004, 05:38 PM
antigrav
Instructor

LehmanZ06, my question was regarding the C6 Z06 which will probably not get smoked by the C5.

Your point about 19" race tires is a good one, however.

So, there's two questions of interest:

o How soon after the introduction of the C6 Z06 would people expect Hoosier and others to begin producing SCCA approved autocross compound race tires?

o How soon after the introduction of the C6 Z06 until the car is classified by the SCCA to compete in SS?

Anyone here who was autocrossing the C5 Z06 in late 2000 or early 2001?

-ag
Old 07-24-2004, 06:20 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

One thing that gives the C6 an advantage over the non-Z06 C5s is that the Z51 package comes with the MN12 transmission, something that was never offered on the C5 Coupes and verts. Always felt that if I could use that transmission along with the Z06 wheels I could compete with the Z06s. They have less weight, but I have better weight distribution.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:56 PM
Shaun R
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And when the c6 z06 comes out? Think it will bump the c5's to AS or leave them in SS? I know its a while from now, just wondering what class I will be in then.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:48 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

In 6 months to a year 19" R compounds might be available

If the c6 z06 is a low volume 60 grand car or north of this 150 lbs lighter than the z06------------then maybe it would go into ASP
Old 07-25-2004, 02:15 AM
TheDarkKnight
Burning Brakes

I sat in one tonight ... and I think with the top on, you'd be hard pressed to fit the helme tin while on your head. I'm only 6'. My wife is 5.5 and she was complaining about the top of the window being too much in her field of vision.

But it is a sweet car.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:58 PM
antigrav
Instructor

I saw the C6 at the 'Vettes on the Rockies' show in Breckenridge/Frisco this weekend.

The C6 product manager, Harlan Charles, was in attendance, and I asked him about the 19" tire issue and the fact that nobody is currently manufacturing race tires in that dimension.

He said that Chevy was looking at offering a 'T1' race package which would feature 18" wheels for that reason.

If this turns out to be reality, would the fact that Chevy is offering such a package make it a legal/viable option for SS class Solo II competition?

Obviously, this isn't the first time they've offered such a package. For example, in 1999, I believe Chevy offered a T1 package on the FRC which included an oil cooler and Z51 suspension.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:51 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by antigrav
He said that Chevy was looking at offering a 'T1' race package which would feature 18" wheels for that reason.

If this turns out to be reality, would the fact that Chevy is offering such a package make it a legal/viable option for SS class Solo II competition?
It would only be legal in SS if it is offered as a factory option. After production kits, even authorized and installed by the dealer, are not legal in stock.

The C6 will most likely be in SS until it gets a year or two under it's belt racing. It is similar to the C5 Z06 so it would be placed with it. Would the C5 move to AS? I don't think so until after a year of C6 competition.

The C6 Z06 may be placed in ASP until it competes for a year or two, then moved if warranted.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:24 PM
rhneff
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 102 Posts

According to GM, the C6 is as light as the Z06 and with the Z51 option has a better suspension and more effective braking. It won't be homologated for SCCA stock class until the 2005 season and by then there will likely be race rubber available so with only a 5HP difference I doubt it will get smoked except probably by the Lotus Elise (as will the aforementioned Z06). And with the Elise as well as $150K Porsches in SS in 05 if the SEB has it's way it's probably going to take the C6 Z06 to get the Corvette back to the top of the class in 06 (if it's available then).
Old 08-03-2004, 11:50 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rhneff
According to GM, the C6 is as light as the Z06 and with the Z51 option has a better suspension and more effective braking. It won't be homologated for SCCA stock class until the 2005 season and by then there will likely be race rubber available so with only a 5HP difference I doubt it will get smoked except probably by the Lotus Elise (as will the aforementioned Z06). And with the Elise as well as $150K Porsches in SS in 05 if the SEB has it's way it's probably going to take the C6 Z06 to get the Corvette back to the top of the class in 06 (if it's available then).

The Z51 option is not a better suspension than the Z06 suspension based on what I've seen and heard. The new C6 has larger wheels, which will negate the MN12 trany advantage with the same rear ratio (3.42). For those that don't add the Z51 option I doubt they'll be able to keep up with even the C5. Smaller tires are quicker, larger are faster. Autox requires quickness, not top speed. The C6 moved the engine forward 1.5 inches and the wheels inward 1.5 inches (narrower). Neither of these are an improvement for autocross. Longer wheelbase does add stability. Drilled rotors are for looks and marketing only, less surface area to grip is rarely an advantage. These will have to be swaped out for racing.

The Elise just doesn't seem to have the HP to weight ratio needed to compete in the SS category. 2000 lbs with 190 HP just doesn't stack up to 3100 lbs to 405 HP with the Z06 and 3200lbs to 350 HP with the C5. Looking at the torque to weight is even worse with the elise topping off at 138 ft.lbs. vs. 375 for a lowly MN6 coupe. But let's wait to see how it does on the track. Hats off to Lotus though for producing a performance car with weight reduction in mind! Closer to the Mazdaspeed at 2500lbs to 168 ft. lbs of torque...a great autocross car.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:42 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

The C6 product manager, Harlan Charles, was in attendance, and I asked him about the 19" tire issue and the fact that nobody is currently manufacturing race tires in that dimension.

T1 package - hmmm lets see:

18" wheels

T1 suppensions system - bars, unequal length A-arms, springs, shocks ect.
Tranny and oil coolers.

Cage??

Where is John "Hinerocket" Hineracy when you need him. He is MR. T1 and head of GM Performance Division, plus too many National T1 Championships to rember. So ig Chevy is building a T1 option I am sure John is doing it right.

This is looking more interesting.
Tom
Old 08-05-2004, 02:34 PM
rhneff
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 102 Posts

TedDBere, you make some good points all of which are valid. But, Dave Hill makes a strong case the C6 w/Z51 will only be a whisker off the Z06 performance on an autox course and he should know. Several mags this month have test drive reports so perhaps we'll get some inkling from those. In all, I'd wager the hot shoes in SS will stick with the Z06 for now but not because the C6 won't be competitive.

Re. the Elise, I've been told there've been several national champions who've tested it and said it will best the Z06 on a 60 sec course by at least half a second or more. HP/weight is only one indication of performance in autox, and the Elise with its short wheelbase and narrow body sitting on a race-tuned suspension will be like a Miata on steroids - flatfooting it through slaloms and offsets the Z06 driver will have to lift to get through. We won't get to see for sure until next year, but will get a glimpse of that future in September as I understand one of the national level guys is going to enter his Elise in SS even though he knows he'll be DQ'd. It'll be interesting regardless.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:36 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

I've also read that the Elise sold in the US market will be weighted down with required US safety equipment and EPA requirements that reduce it's performance compared to the European model. Should be fun to watch and see how they do. In ASP these things may rule, if not SS due to the restrictions.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 SCCA solo2 (autocross) classification

Quick Reply: C6 SCCA solo2 (autocross) classification