C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Camshaft Info

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 06:01 PM
jacobsed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Camshaft Info

OK, I want to install a new camshaft and Intake while the motor is out of the car. Also going to replace the rear main seal but I'm not sure if it is leaking or not. Is a couple drops after every cruise worth it? It is the only thing I think can be leaking. If the manifold gasket or head gaskets were leaking wouldn't that be more noticable? Anyway, what camshaft and what other hardware should I replace while putting in the new camshaft? I have a 79 L48. Non original engine, it is actually out of a 72 Camaro and has less than 25K on it since the rebuild.

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2004, 06:24 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To select a cam you need to know your comp ratio, head flow (or at least casting numbers and current springs), rear gear ratio, trans type (and stall speed for auto), intended use and since you are replacing a cam need to know that cam specs are and what type of change you want (more low end torq or more hp up top).
Old 07-21-2004, 07:10 PM
jacobsed
Racer

There is no way I can tell you what the comp ratio is.
Casting numbers off the heads is 3973487X.
I can't tell what the springs are.
3.08 gear in the rear end.
4sp manual (Borg Warner from a 78).
I want it to sound cool and have low end torque.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2004, 07:46 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Check the rear of the intake manifold for oil leak, up to CC XE268 and Performer intake.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:51 PM
billlambeer
Instructor

you have to get a cam that is not too aggressive if you are sticking with stock springs, since if you do, it will snap them, so look at something with a duration at .05 thats like 268, and lift around .45, you can maybe go over a bit more, but not much if you are sticking with stock valvetrain, and this is all assuming its like a 350, like i would look at the comp high energy 268, make sure there isnt any note that says you need to replace stock valvetrain too!!! You need to replace the the lifters and the timing chain assembly also, and while your at it, i would replace the push rods since its only like 20 bucks.The oil thing is as much as its worth to you, if you want to watch the oil level, well then i guess its not a huge problem. If you want to find the issue you should just crawl under after your done cuising and try and find where the oil is coming from, that the best advice i got, has worked for me in the past. Good luck
Old 07-22-2004, 09:25 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jacobsed
There is no way I can tell you what the comp ratio is.
Casting numbers off the heads is 3973487X.
I can't tell what the springs are.
3.08 gear in the rear end.
4sp manual (Borg Warner from a 78).
I want it to sound cool and have low end torque.

Thanks
You don't state exhaust. HE268H is very good & will work w/ your stock valve springs. XE-262 w/ new valve springs. Get a roller timing set also.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:51 AM
jacobsed
Racer

I have true dual exhaust. Got rid of the stock style last year but still have the ram horn exhaust manifolds.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:54 PM
COMMANDER370
Burning Brakes

I just put CC 270H and Weiand Stealth on my 80 L82.Sounds good,performance wise i am not sure as i am still working on the car.all it does is go up and down on the lift

Get notified of new replies

To Need Camshaft Info

Quick Reply: Need Camshaft Info