C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

paint question for the paint gurus

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 01:34 PM
corvtt1969
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default paint question for the paint gurus

alright heres my situation. i repainted a fender on a car and a few scractches have shown up on the paint and i need to sand it down and repaint it after gettin rid of those scratches(which are in the fender not the paint) if i sand down the panel with 600 till its smooth in that area can i repaint that and clear coat it and will the panel match up with the new paint i put on before? ive heard you can remove overspray with a wax or something but im not to positive and i wanted your input before i went ahead on this venture. im assuming this is a similar process to maybe fixing a scractched or keyed panel. with the paint being brand new the paint should have no problems matching? i hope this is clear enough. thanks in advance guys! - Bob
Old 07-21-2004, 02:25 PM
corvtt1969
Pro

anybody?
Old 07-21-2004, 03:18 PM
Bill Oxley
Racer

Bob, it depends somewhat on the color. Black will match for sure if you don't go through the base coat in your 600 sanding process. Many other non metallic colors will probably be fine too. Metallics can be difficult. Sometimes the spray gun setting itself can effect the way a metallic covers or appears after the clear coat.

More detail, and perhaps we can give more or better advice.

Good luck
Old 07-21-2004, 03:23 PM
corvtt1969
Pro

the paint is a dark metaliic blue, comparable to electron blue, and i just need to sand it down and fix the scratches and repaint it.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:34 PM
Bill Oxley
Racer

Bob, I was just re-reading your original post. If your scratches are in the fender, not the paint, as you said, by the time you sand it "smooth", you will probably be through the base cost into the primer, or worse yet to the fiberglass. At that point, you will have no choice but to repaint the base coat and then a new coat or two of clear.

However, like I said in my earlier post, with your blue metallic, even if you get the scratches out without penatrating the primer, you may or may not be happy with clear only. The more metallic it has, the more difficult the color match is.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:03 PM
corvtt1969
Pro

well what i was planning on doing was fixing the scratches(its not a corvette so it is metal not fiberglass) and repainting the blue then the clear. i hope that is clear enough. my main concern was how do you repaint with the existing paint there(for simlpicity lets assume taht matching the color is not a factor.) ive heard that you can just scuff it up and repaint it with base then clear and use an overspray remover to make it blend in but im not so sure on that so i wanted to check with the pros here. -Bob
Old 07-21-2004, 04:59 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

burning in spots like that isn't that hard...just getting the color to match is the hard part. if color matching is not an issue and you just want to spot fix it, sand it down, spray base where it needs to be sprayed and spray clear with alittle fade into the exisiting clear. at the end buff it all out, and it should look decent.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:18 PM
corvtt1969
Pro

that sounds about what i was thinking thanks. - Bob

Get notified of new replies

To paint question for the paint gurus

Quick Reply: paint question for the paint gurus