C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's involved in installing new front rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 12:03 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default What's involved in installing new front rotors?

My RF is warped, and old. I need new pads too, so I figure I'll get two new rotors and a set of pads for the nose. Can I just pop em on or do they need special prep?

Obviously I'll repack the bearings in the process. Is it worth buying new ones of these, too?

-Steve
Old 07-21-2004, 12:43 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nothing special

Just pull them off and replace them. Use the best pad you can find and roll it! On mine the rotors were still riveted to the hubs, front and rear. Use a 5/16 drill to remove the rivets and the rotor falls off in your hands.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:47 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless there is something bent or damaged with your spindles, this is one of the more straightforward maintenance projects you can do. I'd do the bearings while they're out - they don't add that much to the cost.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:49 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

As stated if it's the original rotors you'll have to drill the rivets. Most C3 owners don't re-install the rivets, so if they have been changed prior to your owership it will go that much smoother.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:51 AM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg

If they have never been removed before, you will have to drill out the rivits. I think I used a 5/16" drill bit. I'm not 100% sure about that so please make sure that is the right size first. If the archives were up, I could dig out my threads asking this very question.

Not a very hard job, just one I hadn't expected.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:49 AM
ACECO
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Yes, do the bearings while your at it. Who knows how old the current ones are? It only adds a few $$$ and may very well save you much cursing later when you have to take it all back apart again.

Good Luck!

Old 07-21-2004, 02:06 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I've had the front rotors off before. I just wanted to make sure they didn't require any special machining process before being installed. Thanks for the advice. I'll do new bearings. Everything is stock 78(except the pads and calipers), but the rivets *are* gone.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:27 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Pacin
Don't forget you still have to have a low runout on the front rotors. It's not as crutial as the rear rotors but keep your run out at least 5 thou or under. I would definately put new bearings and seal on each side. Better safe than sorry.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:36 AM
Mr.Gearhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Van Steel has an excellent and important point. DO NOT forget to check runout. You don't want to pump air into those calipers... leaky forecast ahead..

If you do have runout, rotate the rotor onto different stud locations. If you still have high runout.. pull off the rotor and check the spindle.

My spindle was crap... .009 runout... At this point.. you need to contact van steel and get a new one. I did and now total runout is .002. WAHOOOO
Old 07-22-2004, 11:08 AM
Derrick
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ironically, I just did this job the other day. Definitely replace your wheel bearings and races. I used a 1/4" drill bit to drill through the rivets, and then a screwdriver and hammer to bust the rivet heads off. Cake job. Torque specs for front bearings are 12 ft. lbs. - and then loosen and retighten with your bare hands. The front wheel bearings are easy, BUT.....don't mess with the rear wheel bearings unless you know what you're doing. The rear wheel bearings aren't what you think.....they're aren't like replacing wheel bearings that we've all done a million times. Take caution!
Old 07-22-2004, 12:04 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,457 Likes on 759 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Rivets on the front? As far as I know and have experiecned only the rears have rivets. Once you remove the spindle nut and caliper, the spindle will come right off. Have the spindle checked by a "real" auto parts store with machining capabilities. You may be able to have the rotors turned if the runout is not excessive. Most rotors from that era can be turned twice before replacing.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:14 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gliot1
Rivets on the front? As far as I know and have experiecned only the rears have rivets.
I just finished stripping the frame from my 74 and the front rotors are rivited.

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To What's involved in installing new front rotors?

Quick Reply: What's involved in installing new front rotors?