C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes fixed ... new problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 09:39 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Default Brakes fixed ... new problem

For backgorund see this thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=865003

Well, got a new caliper from Autozone today, finally got it installed and gravity bled it. Already feels firmer and the light does not come on. Tomorrow, I'll do another bleed while having the wife pumping the pedal. I think this will get me through to the winter when I do a full brake update. After reading the new "vettepartsonline" thread, Tony at VB&P can expect a call for a full set of brake parts this winter.

Now for the new problem. Rebuilt engine has only about 200 miles on it. Engine was reringed due to all the metal floating around in there after my XE274 wiped a lobe. Now, tapping the gas in the drivewayresults in a large blue cloud out of the pipes. I can't remember if this means the rings or valve seals are leaking. Seems to be doing it when the engine speed is increasing not decreasing. Also puffing a little at idle.

Engine specs: L-48 rebuilt to with 10:1 compression, Edelbrock RPM head, Crane HR-276 hyd roller (love this cam 218/224 @ .050), Performer 2101 manifold with Lars tuned Q-jet and Hooker sideipes with JCL baffles.

Any suggestions, troubleshooting ideas appreciated.

Last edited by SteveG75; 07-21-2004 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:01 PM
Crash80
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually valve seal leaks will only blow a bit of smoke on start up and decelaration. What happened with your heads on the re-build? Were they re-worked at all? I would have a hard time imagining that you are having ring problems after 200 miles unless one of the rings is in the wrong orientation. I can tell you that getting new valve seals put in is about $400.00 bucks plus the seals, if you have it done. If you go that route, go with positive stop seals. The OEM seals suck in my opinion. You can get positive stop seals at NAPA as well as any of the fine performance on line sites. By what you say, it sounds like rings to me but maybe your valve seals are so bad that it is fooling me. Mine would blow smoke on start up and then blow just the slightest amount of smoke at idle. It would blow a bit when I would rev it but it happened as the engine RPM was coming down, not increasing. I would think a compression test would tell you if you had ring issues come to think of it. Best of luck with this.

Quick Reply: Brakes fixed ... new problem