C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT- Can someone ID this steering box?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 09:06 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT- Can someone ID this steering box?

I recently purchased a NOS manual steering box that, I thought, would replace the box on my '71 pickup. Wrong - the shaft that goes to the coupler is too short, but otherwise it is very close, leading me to believe it is GM for sure. Anyway, can anyone tell me what it fits?
It is a Saginaw and stamped 5698180. cheers:
Old 07-20-2004, 10:42 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

TTT

Hopefully Jim Shea will see this, he can probably ID it for you.

Good Luck!
Old 07-20-2004, 11:41 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Ah yes- Jim Shea. The steering and suspension expert! I hope so! Otherwise, I have a nice doorstop.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:41 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I am afraid that I don't have any information that will help. If the part number that you mentioned is cast on the gear housing, that number will not help. It is exactly what it is - a casting number.

The part came from the foundry as a raw casting under that number. It was then machined at Saginaw and became a new part number. All of the particular parts were then assembled into the gear housing and it now became a new steering gear assembly part number.

One casting could be machined into a couple different part numbers. Those machined housings could then be assembled into many, many, particular gear assemblies.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:27 AM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Well, thanks anyway Jim. That is indeed the casting number then. I guess it is a doorstop afterall! Live and learn.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:52 AM
Garrett1972
Advanced

Originally Posted by R. Bruno
I recently purchased a NOS manual steering box that, I thought, would replace the box on my '71 pickup. Wrong - the shaft that goes to the coupler is too short, but otherwise it is very close, leading me to believe it is GM for sure. Anyway, can anyone tell me what it fits?
It is a Saginaw and stamped 5698180. cheers:
I do know that 67 to 72 chevy's used 2 differend steering boxes.
The one with a long arm was for 2 wheel drive, and the one for 4 wheel drive had a short arm. (my 72 c20 has the long arm)
Old 07-22-2004, 12:03 AM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Garrett-
Now I am really confused. I have a '71 K-10 (4wd) It has the long arm. The box I bought, from a reputable e-bay seller has the short, but he said it was for a 4wd. I know this guy wasn't out to screw me as I paid all of $29 for a NOS manual box and it really seems brand new (the rebuilts go for over $200). I have pictures - if you are willing to take a look, and think you would recognize the box, email me at: rbassinette@usfca.edu and I will send them.
Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To OT- Can someone ID this steering box?

Quick Reply: OT- Can someone ID this steering box?