C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DHL a UPS Competitor...I dont think so!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 07:10 PM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Default DHL a UPS Competitor...I dont think so!!!!!!

I dont like to rag on companies...but when I am sitting here and see advert after advert for "DHL" and how UPS didn't see them coming I have to laugh.
I recently ordered a drill press online and the company shipped via DHL.
I happened to check the tracking online this morning and it was supposedly delivered to my doorstep at 1pm yesterday.......so I walked around the house and couldnt find it. I called DHL and they said that I would have to contact the shipper to make a claim...no offer to investigate....no "customer service"........I told the woman on the phone that we are talking about a 40lb package here...someone just walked up my driveway, up my front steps and walked off with it???I dont think so. I live in a nice area and I have had $1000's of parts shipped to me via ups with NO problems, something really stinks about this!

The company will ship another drill press out to me...but I have to pay shipping while they make the claim (shipped with UPS!!!).

Just NOT happy.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:44 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang. Sorry to hear about that. I was surprised to see the recent flurry of DHL commercials considering the amount of stuff I order online and I'd never heard of them.

UPS smashed the living crap out of a monitor (72lb monster) I ordered but they were good/interested in investigating.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:03 AM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

I have never heard of DHL. I perfer FedEx for shipping. It's much quicker than UPS. I've had UPS packages shipped UPS Ground and it's taken two weeks (14 days) to get it. It will just sit at the Oak Creek, WI distribution center for days before getting up to my local one and being delievered. It's just silly. It's as if they intentionally hold packages to entice you to purchase a faster shipping method.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:03 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

UPS manhandles the shiz out of packages. I've gotten several that looked like someone drove the big brown truck over them repeatedly. But they always cheerfully and quickly take care of the claim (MUCH better than the crap you've got to go through with USPS with an insurance claim). I think they just fully expect to wreck a lot of stuff, but it's cheaper for them to toss things around and pay a few claims than to carefully handle packages. Just IMHO.

JB
Old 07-21-2004, 12:12 AM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Twice I had packages returned to sender by FedEx Ground Service. When I checked the tracking #'s online, the reason for return was "recipient not known at address". I went to the local distribution hub to investigate/complain and learned that the driver did not (want to?) take the time to ring my gate, so he just checked the box and had the package returned. For whatever reason, the UPS guy can get thru my gate, no problem (gate rings my cell phone which is always on & with me).

They also delivered one exhaust manifold (for the boat), but not the other. It was never found. How the frick do you lose an 85 lb. hunk of cast iron?

Because I didn't have the manifold to install, I had to pay the marina another $40/day for storage until the part arrived (via UPS). Their f-up cost me $200.00.

Now, when I buy on-line I advise the shipper in writing "PACKAGES ARE NOT TO BE SHIPPED VIA FEDEX GROUND AND WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED".

Screw them.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

Last edited by 74FLCONV; 07-21-2004 at 12:17 AM.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:20 AM
cryzko
Racer

i sent my dell computer in to get repaired after i punched it and dhl picked it up..... they returned it to another address in detroit and eventually it went back to the dhl dock... well, i called dhl and told them the right address but they couldn't resend it to that addy cause they had to get it verified from dell computers...... it took 3 weeks and about 9 calls to get my isht..... that was my company computer and i was pissed about the run around

cryzko
detroit
Old 07-21-2004, 01:29 AM
FEDX
Melting Slicks

Location: A high school diploma fixing what a college degree broke TN
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'

I didnt keep up with it,but isn't DHL a Euro company? I think there was a fight about it in court here for a while as they are partially owned by the German post office,or something like that.Sorry to hear about your Fedex Ground problems,all the couriers you see for them are subcontractors and I guess each one can run the route as they want to.Fedex Express couriers are all compnay employees and as such wouldn't be working there long if they drove off without making deliverys.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:03 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

DHL is part of the Deutsche Post (German Postal services)

In my book they all suck, DHL, slow and expensive
FedEx really expensive and the faster shipping optoins seem to be as fast as the cheaper ones
UPS Delivers my packages by means of shooting them over the big wet from a cannon and they will charge me for the shipment when I already pre paid shipment (bought from Ecklers) and will not reimburse
Old 07-21-2004, 09:15 AM
adamdinat
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I use both DHL and UPS at work.

UPS I love brown! Packages are on time, the tracking really tells you where the package is. The software is easy to use. Overall their predictability and service is tops. As far as throwing around the packages I find the packaging is usually poorly designed when I get damaged items. Heavy things packed in peanuts and stuff like that.

DHL They have a ways to go before catching up to UPS and FED EX. Their tracking is very vague and does not tell you where the package is in any useful terms. Their fleet is kind of micky mouse. The driver came up and asked for a hand truck the other day. I frequently have to help them get the package on the truck. The other guys just pick it up and its gone. They have also just left critical packages on our common dock with no attempt to get a signature. That one sat there for a week till our neighboring tenant found it.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:31 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DHL used to be known in the USA as Airborne Express. A good, cheap alternative to the big boys. Then they got bought by the Euros.

We all have our horror stories about the various carriers.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:46 AM
Robs75
Intermediate

Man do I agree when it comes to the matter of shipping with any and all of these companies.
UPS delivered my glass tops to me...'Broken'and when I contacted them they told me to seal them back up in the original packaging and leave them at my front door to be picked up by the driver so they could investigate my claim... Well, a few days later I noticed the tops were once again setting on my front porch. I brought them inside the house and already could tell that the box had not been opened since I had re-sealed it myself. I contacted UPS again and they told me that since they discovered I had ordered them from Canada the breakage must of happen going through US Customs so there was nothing more they would be able to do for me and they needed to be paid for picking them back up and re-delivering them to me. "Can you believe this Sh__!!?"
And the post office.... What the hell is this "Insurance" stuff? What are they the Freak'n Mafia now? You have to pay 'protection' to insure they will do their job? What's next, Micky Damn Mcdonalds going to make us pay 'insurance' so we will not get sick on their food? Give me a break USPS "IT'S YOUR JOB" to deliver parcels and packages, we should not have to pay extra to make sure you do your job!

Man.. looks like I needed to vent huh?

Anyways.. that's my opinion.

Rob
Old 07-21-2004, 10:39 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

UPS smashed the living crap out of a monitor
UPS manhandles the shiz out of packages.
UPS = Union Package Smashers

Old 07-21-2004, 11:10 AM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

UPS sucks - period. I've had many problems with them. The ONLY time I use them now is if I'm shipping Hazmat to Canada. I have had several damaged items and have ALWAYS had my claim denied.
Fedex is MUCH better. The only problems I've seen after a couple hundred shipments now is redirecting a couple packages to somewhere they didn't need to go and then back again. I put the wrong address on a couple of packages and the delivery person called both times while they were trying to deliver so they could correct the address. One package came up missing after delivery and they sent me a check for everything.
I've recieved DHL deliveries but never actually used them. If they are worse than UPS, they will die a quick death.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:26 PM
JLMvette73
Instructor

Default A little info about DHL..............

I received this email from a friend who used to work for DHL. Not trying to cast a shadow on them one way or the other, as I have had no personal experience with them.

"I spent 15 years of my life with this company and up until now, I had nothing but the deepest respect for the direction the company has chosen to take. Recently DHL was aquired by the Dutsch Post with a mission statement that reflected a strong desire to compete head to head with both UPS and Fed Ex for US bussiness. DHL soon purchase Airbourne (and Loomis in Canada) as a quick means of gaining route service. The real bombshell came down last month when DHL let go of nearly all their drivers while retaining all Airbourne personal. DHL drivers made an average of $20 a hour with benefits, retirement package, and a very generous vacation and sick leave benefit. Airbourne drivers make $8 an hour with no benefits!!!! I spoke with a regional manager this morning (who is looking for opportunity's elsewhere) and I'm am totally sicken by the direction DHL has taken."
Old 07-21-2004, 01:06 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Most of the time packages get beat up by UPS when they are placed on the 18 wheelers. They pack those things to the limit and sometimes a smaller lighter box that gets placed on the bottom cannot take the weight of everything above it. For the most part I have had good luck with UPS and will probably continue to use them regularly.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:28 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny UPS story:

I ordered my rear wheels from Summit. Now, each wheel comes in its own box--17" x 17" x 10" or so. Summit took my order and strapped the two wheels together for shipping. Two boxes strapped together = one PACKAGE. Get it? Of course, there's only and address label on one of the two boxes that make up my package.

Somewhere in transit the the two boxes got separated. Only one wheel got delivered. I called UPS and told them about the situation--two boxes strapped together. Strapping broke, yadda yadda. I gave a description of the missing box to the customer service people. They said they's look into it.

The next day I got a notice from UPS on my front door requesting that I put my "damaged package" out for pickup. I called UPS again. Explained that the package wasn't "damaged." Rather that only one of two boxes got delivered.

Another day goes by. Another notice from UPS for me to put out my "damaged package."

I called UPS again. Gave them all the info. and another description of the box I was missing--including the contents--and told them that it was probably sitting at one of the waypoints between Summit and my house. No problem.

In the meantime I called Summit, told them the problem and they shipped me another wheel to complete my set. I'm good to go, right? No.

About a month later UPS called me asking when I was going to put out my damaged package. I explained the whole situation to them once again--from the beginning--and informed them I had nothing to put out for them and that the shipper had already made my order good, thanked them for their time and said they would probably be getting a claim from Summit about its lost wheel.

Another month goes by. Another call from UPS asking when they could pick up my "damaged package." I had finally had enough and said I didn't know what they were talking about. That made them happy. They stopped calling me.

Kudos to Summit, though. They did me right.

Last edited by The Dude; 07-21-2004 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:11 PM
slaine
Instructor

I gotta agree with ROBS75 about the INSURANCE SCAM. I own a small repair shop, can you imagine? "Sir that repair cost $25.15....but if youse wants it..um..garnteed...that'll cost ya extra...otherwise summin' BAD could happen and we're not responsible.(The last three words are what make me sick).
UPS has been my shipper for my business and my personal stuff for 25 years. We get parts from both coasts to Indianapolis, ground, in three days. Usually two days. If it EVER takes longer, the vendor lied about when they shipped. Having said that, we've never had to file a claim, but some of the packages arrive so smashed(that would be the wet cannon) that I would be embarressed to deliver them. The UPS overnight by 10:30am packages usually arrive about 1:00pm.
Once in 1985 I shipped a package to a customer 40 mi from me by US Postal service, it took ELEVEN days. Back in those days, the USPS attitude was(when they finally got around to being bothered by the next customer at the counter) a. "It's not my problem." b. "It's not my problem, kiss my..." and THEY'RE the ones pulling out UZI's and shooting people?
Bottom line we've like UPS for 25 years. UPS, delivering smashed packages faster and more efficiently than anyone else.
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To DHL a UPS Competitor...I dont think so!!!!!!

Quick Reply: DHL a UPS Competitor...I dont think so!!!!!!