C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to connect dwell meter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 05:58 PM
Mpls Funk
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Default How to connect dwell meter?

Hi all - most of U know I have been struggling to get my car running. With Ur help, it is now running!

One of the things I did was replace the points. Evidently I was successful in replacing the points, and making the initial crude adjustment because the car is running. But now I need to fine tune it.

I just got a dwell meter yesterday. My Haynes manual tells me pretty clearly how to adjust the dwell...but one step says "connect the dwell meter per the meter's directions" or something like that. The meter I got is like a digital multimeter that can do dwell, volts, tach, etc...and of course it came with virtually no directions. So, I have a positive lead and a "negative" lead that plug into my meter...but where to I put these leads on the car?

Second - what should the dwell be? For most of the engines in the Haynes manual, it seems to list a range of 27-33 degrees or so...but for my engine/year (1970, 350hp/350), it just has a dash mark???

Thanks again!!!
Old 07-20-2004, 06:07 PM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ground the negative lead and connect the positive lead to the negative teminal of the coil [ the small wire that goes from the coil to the distributor ] ,,,,,,,,,, Happy tuning !

geo

PS dwell should 28/32 deg ,,,,,,,,, it is advisable to set the dwell to the low number as the rubbing block wears the dwell number will rise

Last edited by ram82fire; 07-20-2004 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:18 PM
Garrett1972
Advanced

My meter has 3 leads red black and green. Red and black go to the battery, the green lead goes to the wire from the coil to the distributor.
As for what dwell to set it at, 32 is a good place to start, that seems to be where most small block chevys get set.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:48 AM
BB68Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ram82fire
Ground the negative lead and connect the positive lead to the negative teminal of the coil [ the small wire that goes from the coil to the distributor ] ,,,,,,,,,, Happy tuning !

geo

PS dwell should 28/32 deg ,,,,,,,,, it is advisable to set the dwell to the low number as the rubbing block wears the dwell number will rise
It has been a little while since I have set the dwell on my car (I converted to electronic ignition), but it would seem intuitive that as the rubbing block wears the dwell will decrease and not increase. Dwell, I think, is a measurement of how long the points stay open measured in degrees of crankshaft rotation. If the rubbbing block wears the points should be opening less, because the distributor won't be able to "lift" or "separate" the points contacts as far as when the rubbing block was new. Just a thought. I just used to set the dwell dead on at 30 degrees and check it once a month.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:07 AM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Don't forget to check the timing, each degree change in dwell equals a a degree of change in timing
Old 07-21-2004, 12:49 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mpls Funk
Hi all - most of U know I have been struggling to get my car running. With Ur help, it is now running!

One of the things I did was replace the points. Evidently I was successful in replacing the points, and making the initial crude adjustment because the car is running. But now I need to fine tune it.

I just got a dwell meter yesterday. My Haynes manual tells me pretty clearly how to adjust the dwell...but one step says "connect the dwell meter per the meter's directions" or something like that. The meter I got is like a digital multimeter that can do dwell, volts, tach, etc...and of course it came with virtually no directions. So, I have a positive lead and a "negative" lead that plug into my meter...but where to I put these leads on the car?

Second - what should the dwell be? For most of the engines in the Haynes manual, it seems to list a range of 27-33 degrees or so...but for my engine/year (1970, 350hp/350), it just has a dash mark???

Thanks again!!!
Where in Mpls are you?
I'm the northern burbs and could possibly help out.

but the advice above is pretty dead on.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:47 PM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BB68Vett
It has been a little while since I have set the dwell on my car (I converted to electronic ignition), but it would seem intuitive that as the rubbing block wears the dwell will decrease and not increase. Dwell, I think, is a measurement of how long the points stay open measured in degrees of crankshaft rotation. If the rubbbing block wears the points should be opening less, because the distributor won't be able to "lift" or "separate" the points contacts as far as when the rubbing block was new. Just a thought. I just used to set the dwell dead on at 30 degrees and check it once a month.

Dwell is a measurement of the time the points are closed , setting the dwell at the high spec [ 32 deg ] is counterproductive .

gman
Old 07-22-2004, 12:23 PM
Mpls Funk
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 427V8
Where in Mpls are you?
I'm the northern burbs and could possibly help out.

but the advice above is pretty dead on.
Thanks for the offer! I am down in southwest burbs...kinda far for U. I think with the info above, I should be able to do it...it sounds like I should set the dwell at 28 degrees...although I'm still wondering why the Haynes manual didn't list that setting for my engine...oh well! I'll give it a shot and see how it goes and post back if I need help!

Thanks again!

Get notified of new replies

To How to connect dwell meter?

Quick Reply: How to connect dwell meter?