C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIN Records Check/History etc

Old 07-20-2004, 02:16 PM
Karfever
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Default VIN Records Check/History etc

In the last 10 years has there been any progress on being able to trace history through VIN#s through GM or ?. I thought that I had heard that GM would be relasing information to a third party, much like the PHS documentation.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:58 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're referring to your pre-1981 Vette, the answer is still "NO."
Old 07-20-2004, 03:22 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

For years now, GM has said actual build sheets for Corvettes produced prior to the move to Bowling Green are not available. Everybody and his brother has sought the information, but none of it has ever turned up.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:53 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Karfever
In the last 10 years has there been any progress on being able to trace history through VIN#s through GM or ?. I thought that I had heard that GM would be relasing information to a third party, much like the PHS documentation.
Steve,

As far as progress goes, yes. Something has been located with regard to Chevrolet vehicle records although it is unclear to those of us not "in the know" what the level of detail or completeness is with regard to those records. The big question is if GM is ready to release the information at this point in time. The answer is apparently 'not yet'...

Jim Mattison (who put the PHS program together) is working on the project that involves the Chevrolet records. From what I have been told by people who have talked to Jim Mattison, the problem lies with differences between Jim and current Chevrolet management... Not with physically locating the records. My understanding is that the project is on hold until there is a change in personel at GM which is more inclined to see things move forward.

Until that time, no Chevrolet vehicle records.

Regards,
Old 07-20-2004, 04:04 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hehehehe...my guess if those records ever do become public...many a c2/c3 big block owner may find a counterfit in his/her possession.

Thanks for the update Stan...
Old 07-20-2004, 04:37 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by GDaina
Hehehehe...my guess if those records ever do become public...many a c2/c3 big block owner may find a counterfit in his/her possession.
This is so true. Just think how many Corvette, Camaro, and Chevelle owners are going to be unhappy.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:25 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah - but think of the few souls that actually have the real deal !!

Those won't be $100k cars. They will be untouchable by the likes of us mortals.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:35 PM
1970 Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the update Stan...
If they ever do become available, I hope we won't get charged a ridiculous fee like the 2500 bucks for Motion cars.

SEMPER FI--1970 Dave
Old 07-20-2004, 07:36 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
This is so true. Just think how many Corvette, Camaro, and Chevelle owners are going to be unhappy.

Chevelles from 1968 on back you can see if it is an SS by the Vin.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:14 PM
SBR
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 382 Posts

I am hopeful that in the not to distant future the records in some way shape or form will be released. I agree that there will be a lot of unhappy people when they realize that their car is not what they thought it was. On the bright side there will also be a lot of people who not only own the real thing but also people who have the real thing but could never prove it conclusively. One last point is that I feel that it will be great overall for the hobby but bad for the crooks.
Stan, I was sad to see that you were not at Bloomington this past June. I hope all is well
Regards,
Old 07-21-2004, 09:58 AM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the update Stan
George,

You're welcome!

This is a topic that is near and dear to my heart... I try to find out how Jim's project is going on a regular basis... If anything happens that is of note, I'll post it here.

Originally Posted by 1970 Dave
If they ever do become available, I hope we won't get charged a ridiculous fee like the 2500 bucks for Motion cars.
Dave,

I doubt it will be that high if the distribution of the information is under Jim Mattison's direction. If he retains control, my guess is that the fee will be somewhere in the range of what PHS used to charge... Figure somewhere in the range of $35 - $50 which I feel is very reasonable.

That's just my opinion though... I've been wrong once or twice in the past...

Originally Posted by SBR
I am hopeful that in the not to distant future the records in some way shape or form will be released.
Steve,

The people that I've talked to who are "in the know" keep saying that we won't be disappointed, just be patient... Seems like being patient is the only course of action at this point in time.

I agree that there will be a lot of unhappy people when they realize that their car is not what they thought it was. On the bright side there will also be a lot of people who not only own the real thing but also people who have the real thing but could never prove it conclusively. One last point is that I feel that it will be great overall for the hobby but bad for the crooks.
Well, if the records are eventually released, it will definitely shake things up in the hobby that is for certain. It will also make some of the more desirable cars (L-88s, L-71s, LT-1s, LS-6s, etc.) unobtainable for most people.

Stan, I was sad to see that you were not at Bloomington this past June. I hope all is well.
I was sorry that I had to miss the Bloomington Gold event this year as well Steve, but it was unavoidable... Just too much going on for me right now. I'll most certainly return next year, but not in a judging capacity.

Regards,
Old 07-21-2004, 10:01 AM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the update Stan
George,

You're welcome!

This is a topic that is near and dear to my heart... I try to find out how Jim's project is going on a regular basis... If anything happens that is of note, I'll post it here.

Originally Posted by 1970 Dave
Dave,

I doubt it will be that high if the distribution of the information is under Jim Mattison's direction. If he retains control, my guess is that the fee will be somewhere in the range of what PHS used to charge... Figure somewhere in the range of $35 - $50 which I feel is very reasonable.

That's just my opinion though... I've been wrong once or twice in the past...

Originally Posted by SBR
I am hopeful that in the not to distant future the records in some way shape or form will be released.
Steve,

The people that I've talked to who are "in the know" keep saying that we won't be disappointed, just be patient... Seems like being patient is the only course of action at this point in time.

I agree that there will be a lot of unhappy people when they realize that their car is not what they thought it was. On the bright side there will also be a lot of people who not only own the real thing but also people who have the real thing but could never prove it conclusively. One last point is that I feel that it will be great overall for the hobby but bad for the crooks.
Well, if the records are eventually released, it will definitely shake things up in the hobby that is for certain. It will also make some of the more desirable cars (L-88s, L-71s, LT-1s, LS-6s, etc.) unobtainable for most people.

Stan, I was sad to see that you were not at Bloomington this past June. I hope all is well.
I was sorry that I had to miss the Bloomington Gold event this year as well Steve, but it was unavoidable... Just too much going on for me right now. I'll most certainly return next year, but not in a judging capacity.

Regards,

Get notified of new replies

To VIN Records Check/History etc

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VIN Records Check/History etc