C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Power Brake Booster

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 01:36 PM
69L71
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Replacing Power Brake Booster

I'm about the replace the Master Cyl on my 68 and am trying to decide if I should pick up a new booster too. Vettebrakes has a combination booster/master cyl package for a very reasonable price.

However....

I remember replacing the booster on my old 69 convertible, and it sucked! Even with the dash removed and steering column dropped it was a PITA to get to the bolts. Does anyone have a decent way to get to this sucker?

A while back, someone posted a link of a kit to replace power brakes with manual brakes. Maybe I just need to do that and save the world the hassle of ever having to replace the booster....
Old 07-20-2004, 01:46 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just leave the one nut off that's really hard to get to so it'll be easier to change the next time. Check NAPA's price on a MC/Booster combo, I think it's cheaper than Vette brakes.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:37 PM
Buffalo Dude
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Schmucker
Just leave the one nut off that's really hard to get to so it'll be easier to change the next time. Check NAPA's price on a MC/Booster combo, I think it's cheaper than Vette brakes.
I wouldn't leave the nut off. You could use a regular nut with a lock washer and follow it up with another nut, that way you can spin them snug by hand and all you have to do is torque it. Wouldn't know anything about the power -> manual conversion though.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:55 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Buffalo Dude
I wouldn't leave the nut off. You could use a regular nut with a lock washer and follow it up with another nut, that way you can spin them snug by hand and all you have to do is torque it. Wouldn't know anything about the power -> manual conversion though.
My booster has held with 3 nuts for as long I've owned the car (~2.5 years) and no telling how much longer for the previous owner. It has never budged.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:44 PM
MPSJM
Instructor

I will let you know in a day or two. We are changing from manual to Power. The first problem was that the holes were off verticaly by about 3/16". We have the booster in finaly and clevis conected and the bottpm two nuts on. We are going to sleep on it before we do the top two nuts.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:59 AM
Buffalo Dude
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by wcsinx
My booster has held with 3 nuts for as long I've owned the car (~2.5 years) and no telling how much longer for the previous owner. It has never budged.
Maybe so, but look at it this way: GM tries to eliminate things that don't work well or don't serve a purpose to cut costs. I'm sure 3 nuts would be sufficient to hold it on, but if GM didn't see it as an opportunity to cut it, then maybe it serves some purpose. It takes me only 5 extra minutes to spin on the last nut with lock washer and it makes me feel a whole lot better. I guess it's what ever you're comfortable with.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:30 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

With a wobble extension and a deep-well socket it's not THAT big a deal. You do have to be somewhat of a contortionist to get there, or hire the teenager next door to take them loose. The clevis is harder to do that the nuts IMHO.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:46 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by markdtn
With a wobble extension and a deep-well socket it's not THAT big a deal. You do have to be somewhat of a contortionist to get there, or hire the teenager next door to take them loose. The clevis is harder to do that the nuts IMHO.
Ya know, I've heard other people say that, but I just can't see how. I mean, I can't even see that damn nut much less get a socket on it.

Yeah, the clevis is another royal PITA. I tried to take it loose. Gave up ... ended up just yanking the booster with the rod still attached to the clevis then unscrewing the rod from the clevis through the hole in the firewall.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:42 PM
MPSJM
Instructor

We just finished putting ours on. We did not have to take one off since this is an upgrade from manuals. But on the right side of the stearing column using a thin wall 3/8" deep well socket a u-joint and about a foot of extensins we were able to tighten the nut. On the left side I had to take out the clutch safty switch, only on screw, and the same socket configuration. If you took the clutch rod that goes through the floor off it would even be better.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing Power Brake Booster

Quick Reply: Replacing Power Brake Booster