C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L88 air cleaner. What carb fits and related ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 10:58 AM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default L88 air cleaner. What carb fits and related ??

I went to mount the L88 drop base on my Holley 4781 last night and found that it won't fit without modification. It hits the choke linkage and accel. pump linkage (I think). The engine has a Victor Jr. on it now, which I don't want, so this is a good opportunity for me to move to a Weiand Stealth or similar dual plane intake. I want a street car with functional cowl induction. Electric choke would be nice, but not essential.

Questions (since I can't search for the answer ):
Will the height of the Stealth allow it to seal properly under the GM L88 hood with the GM L88 cleaner base?
What current carbs (700 cfm range) fit under the L88 air cleaner base?
What are the popular "L88" combinations I should consider?

HUGE Thanks!!
Old 07-20-2004, 11:02 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

list 3310, 785/780 CFM will fit. Is your drop base aftermarket or GM? If aftermarket, that could be your problem...I have a GM and found that a ton of Holley's from 600 to 1050 fit without mods to the base or carb
Old 07-20-2004, 12:13 PM
CGGorman
Team Owner

I assume it's a GM base. It was part of Dad's inventory and he didn't buy much aftermarket stuff. I'll have to look at it.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:16 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 3310 with an electric choke conversion fit fine. With the BG Speed Demon 750 double pump I had to trim the vent tube at the right rear of the base off for clearance.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:38 PM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Yep, it's that tube causing my problem with the 4781.

I checked both the L88 bases I have tonight and found them to be totally unmarked. No stickers (or residue), stampings, or engravings. I can keep looking for the boxes, I was in a hurry tonight. Both of them are gloss black and have obvious tool marks along the entire ledge where the foam seal seats. They are quite heavy for their purpose...much like the vintage chrome air cleaners. The vent tube is welded in place. The small cap piece that the wing-nut seats on is flat black and also free of identification.

Get notified of new replies

To L88 air cleaner. What carb fits and related ??

Quick Reply: L88 air cleaner. What carb fits and related ??