C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument panel dimmer switch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 09:50 PM
Bond007
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Instrument panel dimmer switch replacement

Hello fellow vetteheads, has anyone had the opportunity to replace the headlight/instrument panel dimmer switch lately? The headlights pop up and work OK but the dimmer portion will not control the cluster lights very hard to drive at night with a flashlight LOL. I would appreciate some advice on the matter, have to fix it regardless just would like to know the degree of difficulty. Thank All in Advance. :flag

Last edited by Bond007; 07-19-2004 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:36 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It can be done by removing the top dash cap, and maybe the drivers dash pad door jamb screws (2) The dimmer is part of the headlight switch so ya have to replace the whole thing. Not hard...just time consuming.
Eddie
Old 07-19-2004, 10:47 PM
Bond007
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

:flag Thank You Eddie better get ordering switch, also have speaker problems suppose I will see them when dash cap is removed?
Old 07-20-2004, 09:47 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You didn't say what year, but we just did this on my friend's 73 for the same situation. Pull the screws on the front of the driver's instrument cluster, pull it forward as far as you can and then have someone with a small hand wiggle it up under the dash to remove the headlight pull ****. Pull your duct work loose from under the dash to give more room.

You will want to practice the removal of the **** on your replacement switch so you can do it by feel. This is very easy but you WILL scrape and cut your hand a bit.

Gary
Old 07-20-2004, 12:34 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by GaryS
You will want to practice the removal of the **** on your replacement switch so you can do it by feel. This is very easy but you WILL scrape and cut your hand a bit.

Gary
Gary...does it remove by pressing the spring loaded "button" on the switch?
Old 07-20-2004, 12:47 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Go slow. There are two vacuum lines on that light switch in addition to the wiring harness connector. Trust me, you'll make your life easier and pick up a couple of inches of working space if you will lower the steering column.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:52 PM
lowvette
Burning Brakes

I changed the one on my '77 recently. It was easier with the steering wheel removed. I did not remove the top dash board, but could access the speaker wires -- installed Kenwood speakers in the kick panels. I believe the spring loaded "button" does make it easier to remove the ****. I didn't know about the button until the new part arrived -- d'oh! One watch-out I can offer is to make sure the sheet metal nut tabs stay in place when re-installing the front driver's dash. Old ones fall out easy and might not be noticed until you realize the screw won't tighten.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:57 PM
lowvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Go slow. There are two vacuum lines on that light switch in addition to the wiring harness connector. Trust me, you'll make your life easier and pick up a couple of inches of working space if you will lower the steering column.
If you want to lower the steering column, I believe there's a summary on www.corvettefaq.com. An assembly manual shows an exploded view to make it easier to know which bolts need to be removed. Also, don't let the column hang from the lower support as it puts stress on the connections. I didn't lower my column for the dimmer switch swap, but my hands did get scratched up a bit.

I've heard that the vacuum hoses need to be in the correct location to work on the switch.

Get notified of new replies

To Instrument panel dimmer switch replacement

Quick Reply: Instrument panel dimmer switch replacement