C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1974 Radio Removal, How do I remove it

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 08:58 PM
Jerryjoho
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1974 Radio Removal, How do I remove it

My radio started going out with the left speaker fading to no sound. Then the right one went out. You can turn the volume full blast and barely hear a sound.

I tried to remove the radio, by removing the two inspection panels on the sides of the console, but impossible to get to the nuts. Tried removing the center panel...it wouldn't budge. Anyone had experience in this?

Could something else be wrong that wouldn't necessitate removel of the radio?

Thanks,

Jerry
Old 07-19-2004, 10:01 PM
vettemack
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remove the ***** from the radio and using a deep socket, remove the hex nuts from around the volume and tuner control shaft. These support the radio to the center console.
Remove the right side dash panel and the screws from the center gauge console. I believe there is one strap support on the passenger side of the radio which also needs to be unbolted.
Pull the gauge console (carefully) forward. Disconnect wiring harness from the radio and remove radio.
There is an external amplifier mounted behind the right dash panel. This could be your problem but not likely. From your description, it sounds like you have a stereo unit so problem is more than likely in the individual channels amplifers located inside the radio.

Quick Reply: 1974 Radio Removal, How do I remove it