C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 08:14 PM
cart3113
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake Conversion

Just bought a 69 convertible and I want to convert my non-power brakes to power. Anyone done it?. I would appreciate any tips you may have. I found a conversion kit from Corvette Central for under $300. Suppose to have all the necessary parts. Anyone had any experience with the kit?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 07-20-2004, 11:27 AM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't know, but check out this thread.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ake+conversion

Old 07-20-2004, 10:01 PM
MPSJM
Instructor

We start this project today on our 69. We bought the kit from Corvette central. When you take the old master cylinder there will be two bolts below the old master cyclinder. Remove these they are the two lower holes for the booster studs. You will have to drill them out. On ours the upper two holes, which is where the studs fro the old MC come through were off by 3/16 inch verticaly so we had to slot them. So far we have the booster on with the bottom two nuts, we have not tacked the top two yet, the clevis is attached, use the pin with the cotter pin hole not the one with the clip its easier. The new break light bracket is installed. Not sure how to do the top two nuts yet they are very hard to reach. Should be done by Thursday with any luck.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:13 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

That is an option to install the power brakes. A better system is a Hydroboost system. It is run off the power steering pump. It is smaller and gives you more power to stop the car. A little more expensive but the install is quite easy. www.hydroboost.com
Old 07-22-2004, 04:32 PM
MPSJM
Instructor

Bad News
After getting the booster in now we have to take it out. We bought the conversion from Corvette Central and they supplies a new booster. As it turns out when we went to put the new MC on it became apparent that the Rod in the booster was to short. After conversations with Corvette Central it was determined the manufacture has supplied the new booster rod to the incorrect length and does not have a fix at this time. CC was very good to deal with and are sending out a remanufacture original booster and prepaid return label but it still means a lost week and we get the oppertunity to remove the booster and put it in again.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Conversion

Quick Reply: Brake Conversion